Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
PRESTON
Funster No
MH
TRANSIT CONVERSION
Exp
12 MONTHS
I HAVE A TRANSIT MOTORHOME CONVERSION AND IM SICK OF MY BATTERY LOSING POWER, I'VE PUT A NEW BATTERY AND A NEW ALTERNATOR ON IT AND IT STILL LOSES POWER, I DISCONECTED THE MAIN BATTERY OVERNIGHT AND THE NEXT DAY IT HAD STILL LOST ITS POWER-COULD IT BE MY LEISURE BATTERY THAT NEEDS DISCONECTING WHEN IM PARKED UP? ANY INFO WOULD BE WELCOME, THANKS

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
need more detail to help you if the batery was fully charged and disconnected it should hold its charge for months

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
You say you disconnected the engine battery and it still went flat overnight?
Or are you saying it doesn't have enough power left to start the engine.
The leisure battery should have nothing to do with the engine starting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J

JACKSON

Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
PRESTON
Funster No
MH
TRANSIT CONVERSION
Exp
12 MONTHS
MAIN BATTERY CONNECTED TO LEISURE BATTERY, SOMEONE TOLD ME TO DISCONNECT MAIN BATTERY TO STOP IT LOSING POWER, THE OTHER DAY I DISCONNECTED OVERNIGHT IT WAS FULLY CHARGED, NEXT MORNING I RECONNECTED IT STARTED AND I DROVE 5 MILES PARKED FOR ABOUT 5 HOURS AND DIDNT DISCONNECT WHEN I CAME BACK IT WAS DEAD FLAT!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Firstly, if the two are directly joined...ie: a wire between both battery pos terminals and no relay or switch in circuit...then remove the wire from one battery and tape the end.
Then See if the engine battery goes flat when connected normally
If it does you have an engine wiring problem.
Even a new battery can be faulty.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
As the batteries are joined together the leisure battery must have loads on it that are also draining the engine battery.
Remove the joining wire between both batteries and start again after charging them both on a battery charger.
The engine should start every time.
Then maybe you will find that the leisure battery keeps going flat

OP
OP
J

JACKSON

Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
PRESTON
Funster No
MH
TRANSIT CONVERSION
Exp
12 MONTHS
thanks again, i've disconnected the leisure battery and yes main battery ok and van has started every morning since! i'm new to this and the only listened to the guy i purchased it from....that was a mistake he didn't know much, i'm guessing there should be a switch somewhere to turn off leisure battery when not in use? i'll look into this split charger as well, thanks for all the info.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
the hab and leisure batteries should only connect when the engine is running you need a relay between the two to switch the connection of with the engine if you have a three way fridge youll need a second relay for that

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Some basic thoughts that you may find helpful. I'm guessing here, but some pointers for you. Is your leisure battery knackered and pulling down your starter battery, it sounds like it. Is your leisure battery a leisure battery or a starter battery ? How do you keep your leisure battery topped up ? Are you on hook up and do you have an on-board charger and /or solar panel. ? Do you know how to use a cheap muti-meter so you can check battery state. A fully charged and rested battery would read in the region of 12.7 Volts. My advice is not to start throwing money at this problem untill you understand what the problem is, otherwise your going to end up in the very place you started from.
Best of Luck. You will get loads of help on this forum, just describe the problem as clearly and fully as possible and attach pictures if relevant.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
thanks again, i've disconnected the leisure battery and yes main battery ok and van has started every morning since!.

So this means your leisure battery is dead every morning ?

Either leisure battery past it or you've something big draining it. If the leisure battery is dead every morning then is surely is past it now.

OP
OP
J

JACKSON

Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
PRESTON
Funster No
MH
TRANSIT CONVERSION
Exp
12 MONTHS
hi hilldweller, no it's the main battery dead so can't start vehicle, however when i have disconnected leisure battery vehicle starts every day!

OP
OP
J

JACKSON

Free Member
Jul 18, 2017
PRESTON
Funster No
MH
TRANSIT CONVERSION
Exp
12 MONTHS
hi philandmena, lots of advice thanks, i'm going to look into everything you have said....so maybe get back to you when i've had chance . thanks

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
hi hilldweller, no it's the main battery dead so can't start vehicle, however when i have disconnected leisure battery vehicle starts every day!
That is because the two are connected & the leisure one obviously has a large draw on it that is flattening both but it will only show on the starter battery as you aren't looking on the leisure side.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back