Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
I would like to fit an isolator switch to my vehicle battery. For security and to protect it from the persistent drain of amps. My question is, do I put it in the battery negative terminal - to chassis cable ?
Are there implications for the leisure batteries, who are also earthed to the chassis ?

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
Don't know what year your motorhome is but if it is a newish one you may have problems if you isolate the vehicle battery. The radio code for one and I had a car that the dealer had to reset the airbag warning light after the battery had been disconnected.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its easier and electrically the same to isolate the negative side of the battery. as the leisure battery is or should be isolated from the charging circuit by a relay, no issues there either

dont forget to fit a decent amperage isolator, as all the cranking current will be drawn through it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Moodybrook

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
its easier and electrically the same to isolate the negative side of the battery. as the leisure battery is or should be isolated from the charging circuit by a relay, no issues there either

dont forget to fit a decent amperage isolator, as all the cranking current will be drawn through it

I thought the negative side looked the easiest but I am prepared to be wrong. This ok ? Broken Link Removed

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
The spec on that is quite good, pity the don't supply the ring connectors you will need but ho hum.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I thought the negative side looked the easiest but I am prepared to be wrong. This ok ? Broken Link Removed
that should do as it is rated at 1400amps for 10 seconds
as for fitting ring terminals on heavy cable, dont even try if you dont have the correct equipment. measure up the lengths needed and buy them ready made. either at a motor factors or plenty of sellers on eBay will make them up at a good price

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
Moodybrook

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Funster No
MH
Exp
still in nappies
Thanks to all, (y) will get made up cable connectors, too much juice floating about to mess about with.

Mike that is ok but would mean lifting mats, opening up the vehicle battery box under the floor etc so I think switch in the cab with a removable key for additional security would suit me better. :) I found one with a security key, not the plain standard one that could be operated with a simple screwdriver :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back