Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
My Hymer has a leisure battery bracket that holds the bottom of the battery to the floor , without holes, It is glued I think and the battery sits on it. I want to fit another battery and would like a similar one to that and cannot find anything similar. Any ideas as to what and where I might source one? I really do not like the idea of buying the genuine article from an agent as it would probably be in the £100's.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Can you not just make one up? Sturdy plastic container of about the right footprint size cut down to whatever height you want perhaps?

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
No, it is a strong metal bracket to stop it flying around in the battery compartment under the floor. It goes onto the fibre glass floor of the heated compartment. At the moment the second battery is strapped against the first one OK but not secure enough really.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Your one is screwed down under the battery.
I did what the dealers do put in a plywood shelf, they just screw the battery down via the holes in the side. I made a clamp from checker r/a and fitted a strip along the edge as well

IMG_20170826_195351.jpg

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The bracket I need is the one in Lenny HB' s picture above. As the batteries are all lined up alongside in my battery box they must attache to the floor.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The bracket I need is the one in Lenny HB' s picture above. As the batteries are all lined up alongside in my battery box they must attache to the floor.
Available at motor factors.
Standard battery clamp on many modern cars.
Gone are the days of angle iron clamp bar and long J bolts.
Attaching to the floor looks relatively easy.
A steel or aluminium plate slightly narrower and longer than the battery.
A couple of countersunk bolts set in the plate, thread uppermost, and sika the plate to the floor.
Battery on plate, brackets on bolts, nuts on bolts...job done.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Don't bother asking Hymer. My Exsis uses brackets similar to the bottom one in Lenny HB's picture. They cost more than the battery:)
I bought some steel strip and made some myself using the originals as a template. Btw - If you're using the factory 2nd battery mounting location you will probably find captive nuts to fit the brackets are already there under some blanking plugs.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Don't bother asking Hymer. My Exsis uses brackets similar to the bottom one in Lenny HB's picture. They cost more than the battery:)
I shudder to think what Hymer would charge for the extra bracket in my van, its a suspended cradle that holds two batteries above the existing one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Well just for the std brackets like you have now they are £160ish per battery (can't remember exact figure as needed smelling salts to bring me round) But that does include the nuts and bolts too apparently.....

Mrsjenben asked if they are made of Unobtainium:)

It costs less than £10 to make identical ones yourself.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Making my own I think, or another web strap to hold them together.. I am now convinced , it is the base plate bit I will make, the battery clamp itself is obtainable..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back