Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Any help or advise please my MH is 6 years old and has the old Battery charger which constantly charges the battery as you can't switch it off .I'm lucky if I get a season out of it I plan for the start of next year to install a smart charger (any recommendations) and fit 2 batteries my old charger has the red and black cables coming out and I assume goes to the battery also a smaller cable will that be the 12 v supply all the cables come out through graumets and the charger is sealed what connections would I require also how to link both batteries I'm sorry if this has been brought up before I can't find it anywhere all help would be appreciated

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi

You should have mains cable in and 12 volt cables out (12 volt will be the red and black).

When you put the new batteries in connect +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve, you will need a big fuse or two between the batteries if there is any distance between them plus decent size cable but how big depends on how big the load is that you want to pull, then fuse the battery +ve as it comes off the batteries to the van.

To rewire the charger you need to follow where it is going at the moment but possibly upgrading the cables if you are asking it to supply twice the power that it was originally designed at, another thing is the charger going through a control panel and can that panel handle a bigger charger.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Get on ebay and look up caravan battery chargers.

Though at 6 YO you should have a modern charger that is safe 24/7. It could be faulty.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I'm assuming we are talking about leisure battery here ? if so, the way I understand it is that it receives a trickle charge from main battery whilst engines running, - provided main battery (which is being charged by alternator), is fully charged.

My Hymer has an additional battery charger just for leisure battery to top it up if on reduced amperage ehu's.

One thing that might be worth looking at, what amperage is the vehicle alternator giving out ?........I'm guessing most purpose built Mh's will be built with the realisation that a leisure battery is likely to be fitted........but maybe's not the intention of more than one. (I know in the dim distant past, alternators and I think, dynamo's could be 'rewound' to increase amp capacity..........Don't shout if I've got this wrong, - not pretending to be an expert or owt. :))

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
What charger have you actually got. A 6 year old MH should have a reasonably sophisticated one that has a planned charging regime. It will turn to trickle charge once the battery is full

Just one thought. Gel and lead acid batteries have different charging regimes and most modern chargers have a switch to choose the regime to suit your battery. Is it on the correct setting?

OP
OP
Gauntlet

Gauntlet

Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
What charger have you actually got. A 6 year old MH should have a reasonably sophisticated one that has a planned charging regime. It will turn to trickle charge once the battery is full

Just one thought. Gel and lead acid batteries have different charging regimes and most modern chargers have a switch to choose the regime to suit your battery. Is it on the correct setting?
No switch no options

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Bessacarr the charger is black with no on and of switch 08 model
You shouldn't need an on and off switch. It should monitor the state of the batteries and decide for itself what charge is needed or not. Do you know the make of the charger?

OP
OP
Gauntlet

Gauntlet

Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
You shouldn't need an on and off switch. It should monitor the state of the batteries and decide for itself what charge is needed or not. Do you know the make of the charger?
Il check tommorow thanks

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi

You should have mains cable in and 12 volt cables out (12 volt will be the red and black).

When you put the new batteries in connect +ve to +ve and -ve to -ve, you will need a big fuse or two between the batteries if there is any distance between them plus decent size cable but how big depends on how big the load is that you want to pull, then fuse the battery +ve as it comes off the batteries to the van.

To rewire the charger you need to follow where it is going at the moment but possibly upgrading the cables if you are asking it to supply twice the power that it was originally designed at, another thing is the charger going through a control panel and can that panel handle a bigger charger.
you beet me to it :Eeek:

OP
OP
Gauntlet

Gauntlet

Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
hi if it is a nordelettronica it could be us /a lot of trouble
Can't find a name on it all I can tell you it's Black and I can't get access all the way round it its 7 years old

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Lets make sure we are dealing with the right thing. The charger should be close to the Batteries. It should have lots of fuses on it for all the different 12V circuits. Is the black thing you refer to just the display? Don't know Bessacar at all but think it may be owned by Swift. Have I read somewhere that they use Sargeant controls and chargers?

OP
OP
Gauntlet

Gauntlet

Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Lets make sure we are dealing with the right thing. The charger should be close to the Batteries. It should have lots of fuses on it for all the different 12V circuits. Is the black thing you refer to just the display? Don't know Bessacar at all but think it may be owned by Swift. Have I read somewhere that they use Sargeant controls and chargers?
No all the fuses are in a different box the charger surely haven't all the fuses attached

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
hi gaunlet been on swift talk and that say its a nordelettronica
if you look on this site
apuljack engineerings it should help
about 80quid to repair

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
No all the fuses are in a different box the charger surely haven't all the fuses attached
Mine has. It's a Schaudt charger that also distributes the 12V system. On the front of it are most of the 12V fuses. That make is standard in a lot of European motorhomes - mine's an Adria. Have a look at this site to explain it all, and they also repair Nordelectronica. In fact they recommend for the repair of all Swift units.

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
try this one ask 4 paul

Apuljack Engineering
Broken Link Removed

www.apuljackengineering.co.uk/
  • Broken Link Removed
  • Broken Link Removed
Apuljack Engineering are Chartered Engineers and support staff with over 25 years experience in the Electronics design and repair industry. Having been ...
Google+ page · Be the first to review
Broken Link Removed
Burton Row, Brent Knoll, Somerset TA9 4BX
0800 078 7081

OP
OP
Gauntlet

Gauntlet

Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Mine has. It's a Schaudt charger that also distributes the 12V system. On the front of it are most of the 12V fuses. That make is standard in a lot of European motorhomes - mine's an Adria. Have a look at this site to explain it all, and they also repair Nordelectronica. In fact they recommend for the repair of all Swift units.
I prefer my set up I have 3 units first unit 240v next to it 12 volt unit with all the fuses next to that is the Habitation battery charger the only cables coming out of that is the red and black going to the battery and a smaller cable providing a 12 volt supply if you haven't got the battery on line my charger is now 8 to 9 year old I want to change to a up to date smat charger quite a few on the market simple job to swap I don't think it would be easy job to swap the charger if it incorporated all 12 volt cabling and fuses that's my take on it I'm no expert quick question what voltage comes from a charger to the battery

OP
OP
Gauntlet

Gauntlet

Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
try this one ask 4 paul

Apuljack Engineering
Broken Link Removed

www.apuljackengineering.co.uk/
  • Broken Link Removed
  • Broken Link Removed
Apuljack Engineering are Chartered Engineers and support staff with over 25 years experience in the Electronics design and repair industry. Having been ...
Google+ page · Be the first to review
Broken Link Removed
Burton Row, Brent Knoll, Somerset TA9 4BX
0800 078 7081
Thanks for that I think I'm going to replace the charger to a smart one because of age

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I prefer my set up I have 3 units first unit 240v next to it 12 volt unit with all the fuses next to that is the Habitation battery charger the only cables coming out of that is the red and black going to the battery and a smaller cable providing a 12 volt supply if you haven't got the battery on line my charger is now 8 to 9 year old I want to change to a up to date smat charger quite a few on the market simple job to swap I don't think it would be easy job to swap the charger if it incorporated all 12 volt cabling and fuses that's my take on it I'm no expert quick question what voltage comes from a charger to the battery
My Schaudt only deals with 12V. The 240V is entirely separate except, of course the Schaudt is plugged into it, just as your charger is. The Schaudt is a smart charger. As such it monitors the state of battery and adjusts the charge to suit. So to answer your last question the voltage to the battery (or in my case batteries) will depend upon the state of the battery if you have a smart charger. .

OP
OP
Gauntlet

Gauntlet

Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
My Schaudt only deals with 12V. The 240V is entirely separate except, of course the Schaudt is plugged into it, just as your charger is. The Schaudt is a smart charger. As such it monitors the state of battery and adjusts the charge to suit. So to answer your last question the voltage to the battery (or in my case batteries) will depend upon the state of the battery if you have a smart charger. .
I'm going to swap to a smart charger my point is that I think it will easy to swap as I don't have any 12 volt fuses or all the cables to move as they are housed next to the charger in there own unit

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back