Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Morning again.
Have had to take my time on trying to solve this battery/ starting issue and have again had the cab battery on charge.
Went to start again yesterday and first pull, sluggish but fired and ran well.
Switched of after about 5 mins, tried again and really laboured to turn engine over, and could not.
Have checked all Earth straps and fitted a jump lead on the Negative terminal to the Engine block and it has made no difference.
My question is that , can a battery which is showing 12.7v on a multimeter when standing and thus almost fully charged, still not have enough cranking amperage to turn over the engine?
Can a battery be seen to look as if it is ok on the voltage, but the cranking side to start , has started to, or has already, failed?
We have had no previous problems with the starter motor itself, ie sticking, so I am inclined to think that the batteries ability to hold enough charge to deliver the required ‘oomph’as a cranking amperage , is now gone.
All advice gratefully received and I have read and re-read the thread.
Thanks and have a happy Sunday.

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
If you think battery have you measured voltage of it when actually trying to start van?.....If voltage collapses while trying to start then recovers immediately after you release ignition key.... then yes gubd battery.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Can a battery be seen to look as if it is ok on the voltage, but the cranking side to start , has started to, or has already, failed?
Yes that's possible.. the battery has to be capable of delivering a large current.. if the vehicle starts easily its only actually used very little capacity in terms of amp hours..
A voltage test while cranking would be needed and if it collapses totally the battery is done..
I think a garage would consider a voltage below around 8volts as a dead battery under cranking
If you could get a good battery to jump with it may help rule out anything amis with the starter motor or wiring..
Abdy

philmc79

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 4, 2018
East Manchester
Funster No
MH
LP Coach Built
Exp
since 2 weeks ago
Same happened to me, and turned out to be the earth clamp to the starter battery so i would double check that, one min it was fine then next time nothing but multimeter saud 12.4V in the battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Thanks for all the advice and guidance folks.
Will be trying some new tests over the next few days as time permits, and will advise of the outcome.
Thanks all who replied 😊

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back