Battery health, AGAIN! (1 Viewer)

Aug 25, 2020
Northamptonshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
Hello, I know there has been post,s about this before, but I would like some advice please.
My MH is a 2012 Chausson flash and has two 105 ah lead acid batteries under passenger seat and engine battery under drivers seat. My question is, is it a good idea to leave the mains connected all winter (is it safe) to keep them charged, or maybe connect for 24 hours every month. Also, does the on board charger charge to 100% as I have heard some do not. It is a real faff to remove the seats (swivel captains, heavy) so would prefer to leave in situ.
Any advice please, thanks.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Provided you have a decent charger then leaving hooked up to the mains, a float charge will be going into the cells, which is a perfectly good way to keep lead acid cells in good condition.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

I personally leave the van on EHU 24/7 with a smart trickle charger as I only have 100w solar panel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hello, I know there has been post,s about this before, but I would like some advice please.
My MH is a 2012 Chausson flash and has two 105 ah lead acid batteries under passenger seat and engine battery under drivers seat. My question is, is it a good idea to leave the mains connected all winter (is it safe) to keep them charged, or maybe connect for 24 hours every month. Also, does the on board charger charge to 100% as I have heard some do not. It is a real faff to remove the seats (swivel captains, heavy) so would prefer to leave in situ.
Hi..you will likely have a cbe system installed..its a modular system and will have a dedicated separate mains charger and power supply unit..again likely the 510/516 unit..
As long as the battery selector switch is set for the correct type of battery its safe enough to leave it connected for extended periods.. and it will also provide the start battery with a maintenance charge..
Whether you leave it connected continuously or have it on often enough to keep the batteries in a full state of charge is a call you have to make..and how convenient it is to get to the van..
Andy..

Screenshot_20210101-155353_Drive.jpg

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I have a van equipped more or less as andy63 has described. When at home parked on the drive it stays on EHU 24/7. So far the batteries have survived over five years. Of course putting that in print could be the kiss of death. :unsure:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
Greetings peeps welcome from Bexley

I personally leave the van on EHU 24/7 with a smart trickle charger as I only have 100w solar panel
I leave EHU connected 24/7 while parked on drive. Recently noticed huge increase in domestic lecky bill and only increase in usage has been the EHU - but I would have thought this would be a trickle to the leisure battery only so seems odd. I am guessing that while driving the leisure battery gets charged anyway and was wondering whether switching the EHU off or reducing to the night before a trip would cause battery harm

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back