Battery going flat after 3 weeks on Swift Bolero 2009 (1 Viewer)

Jan 12, 2017
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Hi There,
Any help or ideas please. When put into undercover winter (or otherwise) storage, the battery goes flat after about 3 weeks. No problem when in use, and we do have a solar panel.
Rather than use traditional jump leads, has anyone tried something like an item called a "start genie" which plugs into the cigarette lighter 12v socket, and after some 10 mins the small battery charges the vehicle battery enough to start the vehicle. Also there is a similair thing called a 'Suaoki 18000mAH auto car jump starter booster. (Cost £39). Has anyone ever tried one of these type of jump start items and do they work?
Or any suggestions welcome. Thanks,

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
S3arch 'YouTube'
Loads of videos for many of these devices and most appear to work.
The original battery does need some reserve, just not enough to crank the engine.
If the battery is completely dead then thats probably what it is....dead, kaput, knackered.
If left in a discharged state its unlikely it will hold a charge, if it charges at all.
Best option is start and run the engine for 20 mins to 1/2 hour regularly, every week to 10 days or so, to keep it charged.

Edit.....the best ones connect directly, via croc clips, to the battery. the vehicle wiring isnt up to cranking currents (250 to 400 amps) for more than a few seconds and could result in fire.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I have one of the 12v socket leads and it works well. You can use your leisure battery to charge your vehicle battery to get you going so you do not require another vehicle. Just plug in make a cup of tea on the gas and you should soon be on your way.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Just a thought it could be your radio on standby or your alarm that is draining the battery.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just a thought it could be your radio on standby or your alarm that is draining the battery.
Agreed.
My car radio was drawing 190milliamps on standby.
Turned off at the on/off knob it dropped to 9 milliamps for memory only.
Turning off with ignition only turns off the amplifier circuit, not the main circuit board.

190ma doesnt sound much but after 3 weeks it totals almost 96 amps.

OP
OP
C
Jan 12, 2017
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Hi xs sparks,
Thanks for response. I don't set the alarm on purpose, and remove the radio facia. However your comment about using the leisure battery to charge the vehicle battery was interesting. How should I go about that?
Many thanks.

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
My lead has a cigar type plug at either end plus a gauge that shows state of charge. I have an adapter that plugs into a 12v outlet in the habitation area which allows me to plug the charge lead in. I can not remember where I bought my lead from but I have seen them for sale on E Bay.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I assume you are referring to your Cab battery and if so I would advise to disconnect your negative terminal whenever you put it into storage, providing you are happy with the security arrangements, or Put it on hook up. If you always do what you've always done you'll always get what you've always got.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
plenty of previous threads on this. In short batteries do not hold their charge for much more than a few weeks in winter in UK. some will recommend the biggest and best solar panels. others swear by fitting battery monitor, which, as I understand it, will ensure any greater charge in the leisure batteries will be transferred to the vehicle battery. but check to understand how your vehicle is wired as some already do this by default. I tried both when I had my autotrail and had the biggest nest starter pack money could buy. insufficient benefit from panel or monitor and even the starter pack struggled if you didn't have a really good contact between the clips and the battery terminals. The only solution I found was to disconnect the battery leads when I left it at the lock up. fortunately we have really goof security as the alarm obviously doesn't work when left like this and the electric locking doesnt either so you have to devise how to lock using keys and central locking before you disconnect and then get out the vehicle. depending on how old your vehicle is you might decide to get a new battery but I don't have confidence leaving any motorhome for more than 3 weeks in winter unless wehave had a really sunny spell.

OP
OP
C
Jan 12, 2017
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Hi, unfortunately there is no electrics in our storage facility, I had thought about getting a battery isolator switch fitted somewhere under the bonnet if poss. It's a bit of a pain disconnecting the battery terminal as the battery is located under the floor in the cab.

Delboyarapaho

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 17, 2013
Herts UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago Liner for T
Exp
Since 2013
BTW the one solution I have not gone for but will if I have to is to buy a generator. as others will advise these can have their own problems if not used regularly but it would overcome any problems of poor connections. what I do these days is go to check power levels and start up for a while every two weeks

OP
OP
C
Jan 12, 2017
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
It is fittted with a solar panel, but is stored undercover in storage for periods of time over winter months

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I forgot to add if you do use one of these leads you will probably need to switch the ignition on to aux as the cigar socket will need to be on. Obviously this lead is not man enough to jump start the vehicle but it will trickle charge one battery from the other providing the donor battery is charged. They basically try to equalize there charge.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Hi, unfortunately there is no electrics in our storage facility, I had thought about getting a battery isolator switch fitted somewhere under the bonnet if poss. It's a bit of a pain disconnecting the battery terminal as the battery is located under the floor in the cab.
I understand your situation and this happens to quite a few owners who store the motorhome with no hook up or S.P. to prevent the cab battery going flat. However, if you do not find a solution you are going to end up buying replacement batteries as you can only let them go so far down before being unable to recover them. Best of luck.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Although the alarm is not being set it will still draw current.. It will be in standby mode.. Otherwise your remote bipper would not work :)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I understand your situation and this happens to quite a few owners who store the motorhome with no hook up or S.P. to prevent the cab battery going flat. However, if you do not find a solution you are going to end up buying replacement batteries as you can only let them go so far down before being unable to recover them. Best of luck.
EFOY(y) granted you could buy a few batteries for the same money.

Should add, and battery master to top up the starter battery from the full habitation batteries(y)

Martin

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I guess the solution to this problem is dependant on how long the vehicle is going to be in storage without power. Worst case scenario, flat batteries that have to be replaced and an alarm system that does not work. If the unattended storage is going to be long then save yourself a shed load of money and work by simply disconnecting the negative battery terminal and consider for all batteries too. Only takes 10 minutes to reconnect.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If you disconnect your battery, make sure you have a record of the radio security code.

If you park your van up so that you can get your car near enough, you can always use jump leads to start the van

Peter

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back