Battery Fan Query (1 Viewer)

Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
I have a Knaus built on a Fiat Ducato. Engine starter battery in usual location under front passenger seat. On the control panel there is a fan icon, beside the battery charging icons, that can be selected or de-selected. When selected a fan starts up near the engine starter battery.
The image below shows the panel with the vehicle on EHU and charging. The fan icon has a cross through it showing it is de-selected.
My query is. Is this a cooling fan for the engine starter battery when charging? Should it always be used when on EHU or only in hot weather?
I have searched the forum but cannot find an answer. Many thanks.

98B7B459-7BB8-461D-8B86-AC31A006F14B.jpeg

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
What habitation heating system do you have? On my Hymer I have Alde and Hymer fitted a heat exchanger and booster fan under the left hand cab seat which you can switch on to distribute more heat into the cabin area. Hymer fitted the switch for this on the side of the seat, which can be a pain as it is easy to catch as you walk past. Dethleff may have fitted something similar but incorporated the switch into the control panel.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chrisvh
Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
What habitation heating system do you have? On my Hymer I have Alde and Hymer fitted a heat exchanger and booster fan under the left hand cab seat which you can switch on to distribute more heat into the cabin area. Hymer fitted the switch for this on the side of the seat, which can be a pain as it is easy to catch as you walk past. Dethleff may have fitted something similar but incorporated the switch into the control panel.
Thanks. I have an Alde system. I have switched the fan on and off and nothing changes except the noise of the fan. I was unsure if it was an essential cooling component of the engine battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks. I have an Alde system. I have switched the fan on and off and nothing changes except the noise of the fan. I was unsure if it was an essential cooling component of the engine battery.
I have never heard of a cooling fan being used on an engine battery.

Run your hand around the base of both seats when it is on to see if you can feel air blowing out. If you do, just to make sure, put the heating on for and hour or two and try that again. If it is warm/hot air it is the same as ours.

Do you have a handbook explaining the control unit?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chrisvh
Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
I have never heard of a cooling fan being used on an engine battery.

Run your hand around the base of both seats when it is on to see if you can feel air blowing out. If you do, just to make sure, put the heating on for and hour or two and try that again. If it is warm/hot air it is the same as ours.

Do you have a handbook explaining the control unit?
There is no mention of it in the handbook. I assumed it was connected to the battery because it is displayed, and controlled, with the battery charging status on the control panel. Many thanks for your suggestions.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chrisvh
Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
No inverter. I suspect you may correct and it is an additional heating fan. I just cannot understand why it is displayed and controlled from the battery charging control panel. Thank you for your time.

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Could it be you have a battery to battery charger and this is the fan for that? The larger ampere ones I have seen have an integral fan that turns on automatically but this could be an override switch?

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
No inverter. I suspect you may correct and it is an additional heating fan. I just cannot understand why it is displayed and controlled from the battery charging control panel. Thank you for your time.
It may be that they are advising you only use the fan when hooked up, otherwise it may run down the hab battery.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chrisvh
Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
Could it be you have a battery to battery charger and this is the fan for that? The larger ampere ones I have seen have an integral fan that turns on automatically but this could be an override switch?
Thanks for that. Certainly makes sense. I will have a closer look.
I suppose my next question is should the fan be used all the time or only in certain circumstances? Such as hotter climate?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chrisvh
Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
I have a Schaudt WA 121525 B2B boost controller. Looked out the manual and it states that there is a fan installed. The suggestion to only use the fan on EHU makes a lot of sense and explains why it is operated from the battery charge screen. Thanks to Peter and Paddy for their time.

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
is under the seat the normal place for the starter battery last fiat i had it was under the floor center of the cab(57 reg so may have changed)

Upvote 0
Sep 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti
Exp
Since 1973
I have a Knaus built on a Fiat Ducato. Engine starter battery in usual location under front passenger seat. On the control panel there is a fan icon, beside the battery charging icons, that can be selected or de-selected. When selected a fan starts up near the engine starter battery.
The image below shows the panel with the vehicle on EHU and charging. The fan icon has a cross through it showing it is de-selected.
My query is. Is this a cooling fan for the engine starter battery when charging? Should it always be used when on EHU or only in hot weather?
I have searched the forum but cannot find an answer. Many thanks.

View attachment 453636
Hi. I also have a Knaus. The fan symbol switches the fan on/off for the mains to 12v converter/ charger Without the fan enabled the supply has a limited capacity so if you have a high demand such as watching TV out lots of lights on with the fan disabled you will eventually run you leisure battery flat. It is best to leave it so that the fan is automatic. Disable the fan if you want it to be quiet but be careful you don’t flatten your battery. Hope that helps

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chrisvh
Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
is under the seat the normal place for the starter battery last fiat i had it was under the floor center of the cab(57 reg so may have changed)
Ours is under the floor immediately in front of the passenger seat. 2020 build.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Chrisvh
Aug 11, 2019
North Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 700
Exp
A newbie
Hi. I also have a Knaus. The fan symbol switches the fan on/off for the mains to 12v converter/ charger Without the fan enabled the supply has a limited capacity so if you have a high demand such as watching TV out lots of lights on with the fan disabled you will eventually run you leisure battery flat. It is best to leave it so that the fan is automatic. Disable the fan if you want it to be quiet but be careful you don’t flatten your battery. Hope that helps
Thanks for that. Very useful.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back