Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Hi can you tell me if I need to run a vent from battery to the outside of van when it is a sealed battery. There isn`t a vent pipe on my leisure battery and I keep reading that it should be contained and vented for gas emission .I am not sure now of the correct procedure thanks............Bruce

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
On the side, right at the top, usually centrally - or at least where the caps for the cells are/would be - there will be a small hole. This is where you push in the elbow for the pipe to run from. Not all batteries come with them, but you can ask your local suppliers who may have them in stock.

Weather sealed or not, there will be a vent hole for charging as they produce a toxic gas when charging. They are interchangable, so you can use the pipe and elbow from your old battery if there is one.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Agree with above re venting, but to be picky the gas is not toxic but a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen and is flammable/explosive

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Battery emissions

Agree with above re venting, but to be picky the gas is not toxic but a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen and is flammable/explosive
Thanks for your answers . Can you tell me the requirements for enclosing or fixing regarding insurance and changing to campervan status for dvla or is it vosa. Thanks.....................Bruce

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for your answers . Can you tell me the requirements for enclosing or fixing regarding insurance and changing to campervan status for dvla or is it vosa. Thanks.....................Bruce
DVLA is the licencing/registration division while VOSA is the enforcement (weights, MOT etc) division.

DVLA's biggest recent change is a pain.....ALL conversions must now look like a motorhome from the outside before Motorcaravan status is given.

doesnt matter what you put inside, if the outside looks like a work van it wont get re-registered as a motorhome.

awning, sat dish/terrestrial aerial, rear ladder and graphics/fancy paint job are the most obvious ways to meet the new regs

google DVLA requirements for a motorhome.
that should explain what is required inside.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There are a good many batteries that are not vented at all nowadays

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
DVLA requirements.

Qualifications to Re-register
Now that you’ve read the benefits, you may decide to re-register your panel van as a campervan. You need to be certain that it meets all the qualifications. Let’s have a look at the DVLA’s current qualifications, though it’s always wise to contact the DVLA to make certain these have not changed.

Sleeping Accommodations
There must be at least one bed that is a minimum of 6 feet (180 cms) in length. This bed must also be an integral part of the vehicle, being able to be converted from the seats or of a permanent nature otherwise. You must, in other words, make sure the bed is attached to the floor or side walls. The bed cannot be portable outside the van.

Door
You must make certain you have at least one door beyond the front driver and passenger doors. This may be a horizontal sliding door or a door that opens outwardly at the rear or side.

Sitting Area and Table
Although your table can be fixed or detachable, you must be able to mount it directly to the vehicle floor or side walls. The mounting must be permanent and can be bolted, screwed or welded. The seats surrounding the table need to be permanently fixed to the vehicle floor or side walls and can be bolted, riveted, screwed or welded. You must have seating available for the table.

Water Storage
DVLA does not have any requirements, but most insurance companies require that the water tank is either onboard or under the chassis. Inquire, though, because you may only need an external, portable water container. Also, a few companies may have requirements on how much water the container can hold. Check with your insurance company.

Storage
You need at minimum, one cupboard, locker or wardrobe and this storage must be an integral portion of the living area. It needs to be permanently fixed by bolts, rivets, screws or it may also be welded. The cupboard, locker or wardrobe can be fixed to the floor, side walls or both.

Cooking Facilities
You must have cooking facilities that are directly secured to the floor or side wall
by bolting, riveting, screwing or welding, and their power source may be fixed gas, electric hob or microwave oven. The gas and electric hobs must have at least two cooking rings. Your microwave must actually work within the campervan. (In other words, you can’t just tote around a microwave with no potential for use within the van!) If your cooking facilities are fueled remotely, you must have the gas supply pipe permanently secured to the vehicle structure and the gas bottle or fuel reservoir secured to the vehicle structure.

Outside
You must have at least one side window on the outside. As well, the DVLA is beginning to require that your campervan looks more like a motor caravan on the outside. These details are still a little unclear. It’s best to check with the DVLA prior to re-registering your van as a campervan.

Changing the Van Classification to Campervan
It’s a fairly simple process to change your panel van classification to a campervan classification with the DVLA. The following is the basic procedure, though rules change so be sure to check with your office.
Once conversion is complete, contact the DVLA and inform them of the conversion. Be sure to change your V5C (log book) to reflect the change by noting the body type as “motor caravan.” This is the term used by the DVLA for both campervans and motorhomes. Please refer to the DirectGov website for details on properly changing your V5 document. You will then send this documentation to the DVLA.
Include a cover letter to explain the changes made to your vehicle. You should include around 10-20 photographs of the conversion and also the front and back of the vehicle making sure to capture the number plate. The photographs of the inside should capture the permanent fixtures as outlined above. You can send the paperwork to:
DVLA
Swansea
SA99 1BA
The DVLA will send a new V5 document with the appropriate body type change IF they are satisfied with the conversion. If not, you will be asked to visit the local DVLA inspection office where an agent will inspect the vehicle and let you know if you have any further changes before allowing the new classification. Though the guidelines for the above are not strictly defined, imported vehicles do have stricter guidelines. The following are some tips to know WHEN to request the change in vehicle classification for your van.
Review the above guidelines and make certain all of your permanent fixtures are complete.
Make sure your campervan is neat and tidy so you can adequately capture photographs of these permanent fixtures OR so upon inspection, the inspector is able to clearly view the permanent fixtures.
Your campervan should appear finished, although you can always put some finishing touches in at a later date provided you have met all the criteria as outlined above.

OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
battery

There are a good many batteries that are not vented at all nowadays

So if my battery is not vented it only needs securing to qualify for re-registering or will I encounter any other problems?.............Bruce

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The battery should have come with info .. That info should tell you if it is vented or not.
neither of my leisure batteries are vented or require venting

I have NO idea how they do this ( possibly an area within the battery that can take expansion ? ) but there is def no way for them to gas and they are completely sealed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The battery should have come with info .. That info should tell you if it is vented or not.
neither of my leisure batteries are vented or require venting

I have NO idea how they do this ( possibly an area within the battery that can take expansion ? ) but there is def no way for them to gas and they are completely sealed
I believe there is a special valve in the lid which condenses the gas back to liquid so negates the need for topping up or venting

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have this type of battery in my van (2 x 250AH).
It is called VRLA or Valve Regulated Lead Acid.

They recombine the Hydrogen and Oxygen to create water. They don't/can't be topped up. They are usually AGM or Gel types.

They do have an emergency vent but this isn't activated in normal use.

PS: Just checked wikipedia for details
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRLA_battery

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
For the love of God!

Don't mention anything about batteries having EMISSIONS on an open forum!

If the Government get wind of it, they'll be taxing those of us with open lead acid batteries!!!:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back