LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Ok, so the new Haggers Palace is on the road and away it goes... drives a dream and is just well,amazing, we are so so happy with it. but here is dilemma one.

The van has a very nice 90amp Victron AGM battery which I understand is barely used.
I have from my last van two Semi Traction 110 amp Banner batteries which I understand are Lead acid.

I hoped I could just add them in to the bank as they are literally only 10 months old and a great battery. But I believe this is something that cant'/shouldn't be done...
So do I dump the Victron and add for sale or
Buy a new Victron and dump the Banners for sale.

The van is set with a 120 amp solar panel charger and a Victron regulator set to AGM I'm not even sure how to change this setting to LA at the moment.

We go off skiing in only 4 weeks, need it sorted asap

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I was given to understand.... never add a new battery to an older one even the same make and model... something about the old battery dragging the new one down..

If so I would put your two originals on..

I may be wrong..

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Hi both. Your AGM (Advanced glass matting) Batteries are the best you can get. They do not break down over the years of constant discharge and charging . Wet batteries will always reduce over the years to come. No matter how good your charging system is. In effect you will charge a lead wet acid battery to the state it reads fully charged. However..with the crud and rubbish that builds up on the plates inside...the 100% charge is actually reduced to approx 95% or lesser. This is why the batteries have a 3 or 5 year warranty. Eventually what happens is that the wet acid battery plates become bunged up but....the charger will still read 100% charged. That is 100% of what is available to charge and not what was there! AGM batteries are good for a number of years to come. They do not break down like wet acid batteries do.
We started fitting these AGM batteries to boats/ships with a lot of equipment on board. Take a look at the Master volt systems and see what they recommend. Its all AGM

Kev

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
congratulations on your new van...
ive just googled the spec on the victron battery and they sound like the business , and certainly not cheap..
if it was me id like to add another of those if cost wasn't to great an issue..
all the batteries you mention are lead acid technology, im assuming you are saying the banner are flooded lead acid and if so shouldn't be added to the victron agm., but you could as you say sell the victron and replace with the two banner...
Andy

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Option A
I wouldnt go into the lead thingy or some of the techonology that others, far more enlightened than me, seem to know about.
I reckon 2 x 110 is bigger than 1 x 90 and i dont have to buy anything to add on to it, that added with a known 10 month history,,,,,,,,,,,,,simples

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Ok, so the new Haggers Palace is on the road and away it goes... drives a dream and is just well,amazing, we are so so happy with it. but here is dilemma one.

The van has a very nice 90amp Victron AGM battery which I understand is barely used.
I have from my last van two Semi Traction 110 amp Banner batteries which I understand are Lead acid.

I hoped I could just add them in to the bank as they are literally only 10 months old and a great battery. But I believe this is something that cant'/shouldn't be done...
So do I dump the Victron and add for sale or
Buy a new Victron and dump the Banners for sale.

The van is set with a 120 amp solar panel charger and a Victron regulator set to AGM I'm not even sure how to change this setting to LA at the moment.

We go off skiing in only 4 weeks, need it sorted asap
Or third option, get rid of both and splash out on Lithium(y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Option A
I wouldnt go into the lead thingy or some of the techonology that others, far more enlightened than me, seem to know about.
I reckon 2 x 110 is bigger than 1 x 90 and i dont have to buy anything to add on to it, that added with a known 10 month history,,,,,,,,,,,,,simples
That's exactly what I'd do ... as haggers already has the 2 good Banner batteries it would seem the most sensible option, he could then sell on the AGM and in the future when the time comes to change he could then look to get AGM if he wants (or whatever is about then!).

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I wouldn't bother with the AGM ones.
Have read about them giving problems after a couple of years.
Victron are a good make and they don't seem that old so I would work with them.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I wouldn't bother with the AGM ones.
Have read about them giving problems after a couple of years.
Victron are a good make and they don't seem that old so I would work with them.
The Victron IS the AGM ... I assume you mean to use the Banner ones?

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Realistically it does not matter as to whether you have lead acid or AGM or even Lithium . Long and short of it all is , if you plan a lot of energy use whilst off grid, then you need to have a good battery bank. If you plan on doing what most folk do...then you will spend most of your time hooked up to a pole somewhere in the world.
Really.....Does it matter that much?
Comes down to the individual at the end of the day as to whether you want to spend lots of money for something that really won't make that much of a difference or you spend the money else where on enjoying life instead?
Just think sometimes we are lead by what we think we need, rather than what we actually want?

Kev

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back