Battery desulfators (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Hi,
2 brand new, flat 110ah Platinum batteries, solar trickle charger stopped working and some unfound (but will be) drain on the system. So are battery desulfators any good or snake oil?, recommendations for ones that work.
JK

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We built one from a kit bought on ebay a few years ago. I have got batteries back from the dead with it several times, but it does take time. I was told the best way was to leave it permanently inline if you have a solar array as the drain is not that great.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
For some perverse reason many modern battery chargers will not charge a completely flat battery. Some have a recovery mode which may help but the best bet is 24/48 hours on an old fashioned transformer/rectifier charger. As you batteries are new I would suspect they are not sulphated as that tends to be age related. Another ploy might be to charge then for a few hours from a fully charged battery, that might raise the voltage to a point where your charger will kick in

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I bought one from Halfords years ago. It seemed to perform miracles on the few occasions I have needed it. The device is much cheaper than a battery.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
not sulphated as that tends to be age related.
I'm sure age has an effect but the process of the plates supplanting starts with any lead acid battery if it' discharged and not recharged asap... it can ruin a new battery..
Andy.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I bought one from Halfords years ago. It seemed to perform miracles on the few occasions I have needed it. The device is much cheaper than a battery.
No doubt but some people have spare batteries, I have one for example. If one is buying a new charger I would suggest going for one which has a recovery setting because that does seem to work on deep discharged batteries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I have an Optimate battery charger that has a desulphating mode it may not work if the battery has zero voltage but you can get around that by putting the battery on a normal charger for a few hours. It works extremely well, make sure you get one suitable for the size of your battery if you buy one.

OP
OP
Jackomet
Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
OK, follow up.
My new intelligent battery charger did nothing as the batteries were 0V. Stuck an old Halfords charger on each one for a couple of days, bingo! Both are now off charge at a steady 13.7 v and have been load tested with slight drop to 12.9v then recover. Just saved lots of £s.
JK

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back