Free Member
Oct 23, 2016
Hants/Wilts border
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 fgj
Exp
Since 2016
we've booked to go away next week and when we went to get the van ready, nothing worked! Not even the remote to get in. Used non remote to get her open then tried a battery starter thingy (blonde here remember) and it did turn but wouldn’t start. Now tried industrial jump leads off a 2litre car and not a dicky bird, nothing at all. Are we doing something wrong or is it a case of biting the bullet and a new batter is required? Thanks in advance.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Turn the headlights on.....do they work? Do they go out when you try to start?

If yes, it's probably your battery.

If no, then it could be your starter motor but that wouldn't stop the remote from working.

Connect the jump leads and run the other car for 10 mins to get some power in the battery before you try to start.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Haitchjay

Haitchjay

Free Member
Oct 23, 2016
Hants/Wilts border
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 fgj
Exp
Since 2016
Many thanks, we tried again having realised that we’d connected up to the auxiliary battery , let car run for a while as suggested and then gave it a go. Bingo! Been driving rd to get charge going so it will hold and the run to Glastonbury should get her back up to full capacity.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Haitchjay

Haitchjay

Free Member
Oct 23, 2016
Hants/Wilts border
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 fgj
Exp
Since 2016
Thank you Suavecarve, I’ve found that being blonde, honesty is the best policy. Have to say though, I always thought a car battery was under the bonnet rather than in the boot and to have an auxiliary is a complete new one in me. Going back to fluttering my eyelids again as this diy stuff just isn’t for blondes ::bigsmile: (well not this one anyway:makeup:)

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Your "auxiliary" battery is the one that runs the habitation stuff(y) keeping the chassis/starter battery fully charged to start the engine:LOL: well thats the theory but it didn't work did it? do you have solar on the van and if so it quite possibly only goes to the "auxiliary" habitation battery which could well have been fully charged still but not connected to the engine so no help.

If you are still with me and the above applies you could fit or have fitted a little "gizmo" actually called a battery master which will send some spare power from the solar charged "auxiliary" battery to the engine or starter battery meaning that next time it will be ready to go(y) and its better for the battery than letting it go flat.

Martin

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Haitchjay

Haitchjay

Free Member
Oct 23, 2016
Hants/Wilts border
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 fgj
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks Martin. We do have a solar panel and husband has since bought Some sort of trickle charger as the engine battery is definitely not connected to the solar panel. I will tell him about the gizmo tho as being a man, he does like his gadgets! I was very surprised the car had an auxiliary battery too. Had I looked in the car handbook first doh!
PS. hubby is blonde too so we’ve no chance :D

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks Martin. We do have a solar panel and husband has since bought Some sort of trickle charger as the engine battery is definitely not connected to the solar panel. I will tell him about the gizmo tho as being a man, he does like his gadgets! I was very surprised the car had an auxiliary battery too. Had I looked in the car handbook first doh!
PS. hubby is blonde too so we’ve no chance :D
Oops I thought the "auxiliary" you refer to was the motorhome habitation, anyway if he has a trickle charge thingy it will most likely be the same "gizmo" and all will be well.

Can't beat a "gadget man" or woman.

Martin

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I was very surprised the car had an auxiliary battery too
The car won't have, or need, an aux battery.....same cars have the battery in the boot as standard.......even the old mini (the proper ones not these modern imposters) had the battery in the boot.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Haitchjay

Haitchjay

Free Member
Oct 23, 2016
Hants/Wilts border
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 fgj
Exp
Since 2016
The car handbook says the auxiliary battery under the bonnet is for topping up the engine battery if needed. Odd. Never heard of this before I have to admit.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The car handbook says the auxiliary battery under the bonnet is for topping up the engine battery if needed. Odd. Never heard of this before I have to admit.
I have to ask,

What is the car?

Martin

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Haitchjay

Haitchjay

Free Member
Oct 23, 2016
Hants/Wilts border
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 fgj
Exp
Since 2016
Cars are my absolute passion. Had over 30 since I passed my test. No idea how they work but they have to look pretty (& if possible have big wheels!) This one is a Maserati :oops: but it is a diesel and the next one is going to be far more sensible. (But won’t look as good :cry: )

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back