Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
I am in the process of fitting new batteries ( 3 x 88ah , due to size restrictions ) .
I have read all the usual posts and found them very helpful , but , why do the connecting cables have to be larger than the cables that connect them to my van ? , is it purely to keep resistance as low as possible between batteries in the bank ?
Thanks , Colin .

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
image.jpg
I would not have thought that you needed heavier cables between the batteries than running to the van from the batteries especially if you wire them like this. The three 12volts example.

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Ideally they should all be as thick as possible to reduce voltage loss, but you have it the wrong way round. The longest cables should be the thickest, but ones joining batteries should be really be about the same. Get good quality battery terminals, and avoid the cheap lead ones, which either keep stretching or just break.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Thanks guys , I will be using the 3 battery diagram above , with the + and - being the existing van connections .

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think what the thing is about having thick cables between batteries is if one suddenly goes flat (unlikely I know) you get full power going from one to the other , maybe too much for your small cables, that's what I'm told anyway

OP
OP
colinw

colinw

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Bolton , Lancs.
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Under a year
Thanks all , will get the cables ordered .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back