LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I tried this in another thread but got no response and it has now scrolled out of sight.
I am trying to decide which battery to get as a second leisure battery. I understand that Varta batteries have a very good reputation. My first leisure battery is a banner 100ah. If I fit a Varta the biggest that will fit the compartment is a 90ah.
Am I best to go for the 90ah Varta or another 100ah Banner? And what might the difference be? (n)

Wyn

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
How old is the banner battery? If it's not new it might only be 90ah anyway. But I'd be tempted to fit 2 new Vartas, they're only about £95 if we're thinking about the same ones.

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
How old is the banner battery? If it's not new it might only be 90ah anyway. But I'd be tempted to fit 2 new Vartas, they're only about £95 if we're thinking about the same ones.
Brand new. We've just bought the motorhome from new.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Wyn

The first thing to check is the battery type rather than make so flooded lead acid, AGM or Gel, pretty sure it will be the flooded lead acid but worth a check after that I would say you may as well go with the same make and size if it will fit.

Martin

OP
OP
WynandJean

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Yes it's a standard lead acid type (not even sealed). I may add another unless persuaded to go for a better option.

Wyn.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I would go for the Varta, good batteries and anything has got to be better than a Banner.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes it's a standard lead acid type (not even sealed). I may add another unless persuaded to go for a better option.

Wyn.
As it's not sealed keep a regular check on the acid/water level which ever one you go for, I know @Lenny HB is not a big fan of Banner but I thought that was more the AGM style rather than straight flooded.

Martin

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As it's not sealed keep a regular check on the acid/water level which ever one you go for, I know @Lenny HB is not a big fan of Banner but I thought that was more the AGM style rather than straight flooded.

Martin
Yep it was the AGM's that failed on me but plenty of other bad reports on their standard batteries, biggest problem with is they don't honor their warranty not a company I would ever buy one of their products again.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
You've a difficult choice. It seems as if you haven't had your Banner long enough to tell if you've got a good one or bad. Banner apear to have a very mixed reputation in MHs, although my personal experience is with their AGMs. I must admit that I'm surprised that a new MH comes with an open lead acid battery. I assume this means you have a fully vented battery space, if so I would be tempted to fit two new lead acid batteries. Some people say LFD 90s are amongst the best, whilst others suggest cheaper lead acids, replaced when they fail, are better value for money, I.e. you can buy 4 cheap batteries for less than the price of 2 expensive ones.

Malcolm

Reactions: Jim

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
I am not a fan of Banner batteries but it is far better to have a matched pair of batteries make and size. Before fitting make sure you can open the tops as they can be a right b***er to remove in a tight space. Then check the electrolyte levels on a regular basis as Banners can run dry very quickly if the charging methods don't agree.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Batteries need to work together and that won’t happen if you get different ones.
Get another identical battery.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
In simple terms, if one is weak, it'll bring the other down to its own level. If one fails prematurely, it could kill the other, too. Unless the batteries are identical, in terms of history, capacity, and chemistry, one is bound to behave differently to the other. Different batteries will work together but how well will depend on how well they're matched.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
I also thought the general advice was to use multiple batteries of the same manufacturer/specification and age together?

After a little research, we ordered 2 new Varta LFD90 batteries from Tayna Batteries and fitted them to our van last week (replacing 2 old Varta Hobby E33 batteries), hence too early to tell how good they are as yet.

If you will nearly always be on EHU, there are schools of thought that you should just buy cheap & cheerful batteries, but that wouldn't work for us and how we use the van. Besides, the Varta LFD90s are not exactly mad money from Tayna.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Good service from Tayna as well, with next day delivery for £9.00

Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
When I use to race RC cars pretty competitively matched cells were leaps ahead of standard put together battery packs in ways of performance. They cost about 30% more for the same make but had all been checked very closely to be a perfect match with printouts on all the cells.
Not sure you could get that level for a big 12V battery but buying the exact same type new has to help a lot.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back