Battery choice (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
When my batteries need replacing, I am inclined to replace them with standard car batteries.
I have 400w solar and use an inverter, thus my use is more akin to the use a starter battery would get. They are normally fully charged so deep cycling is not required, and the inverter can draw 150amps+ for short periods, so a battery with a high cranking current seems appropriate.
Night time use is normally just lights (led), very rarely tv and otherwise just charging of phones, tablets, kindles, toothbrushes, not very significant use for 2x100Ah batteries. May even try to find room for another battery.
Also taking into account that starter batteries are half the price it seems an obvious choice. Especially as some leisure batteries are just re badged starter batteries we are told.
Obviously there is a lack of solar in the winter, but in the winter I only stay in places with ehu anyway.

Anyone think differently?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I agree, my 3 are between 3 & 5 years old. I prefer ones that I can open up to check/top up .
Like this,

Broken Link Removed

Or this if you're stuck for height.

Broken Link Removed

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would still go for a leisure battery with thicker plates (heavy) the inverter draw at 75 amps per battery is nothing like 800 CCA of a thin plate starter battery. Personally I am impressed with the Gel batteries that were on our van when we got it over 3 years ago and I believe they are original so now 9 years old. Exide G80 80 ah Gel x2 running 2kw inverter and charged by 320w solar.

But they are about twice the price of standard lead acid.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As you have 400w of solar I assume you camp of grid a lot & don't use EHU, if that is the case I wouldn't skimp on batteries, could be your lifeline if you get a few rainy days on the trot. I am also a fan of Gel's but for your usage good quality wet leisure batteries should do the job.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back