Battery checking - are they working correctly or are they past their best? (1 Viewer)

Boolush

Free Member
Sep 17, 2012
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos
Exp
Since 2009
Is there an easy way to check if leisure batteries are working to their best ability or are past it? I'm not sure how long the batteries have been in there; at least a year and a half (the duration of my ownership) but I'm beginning to suspect that they may need replacing... had alarms blaring after a very short period following a full charge!?

At the Chester Food & Drink Festival on EHU if there's anyone 'local' who is knowledgable and fancy's a chat over coffee and a bacon bap in the morning?

Thanks in advance,

Boolush

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you need to measure actual battery voltage after charging and monitor its discharge rate. ideally the battery should be drop tested on a workbench, but its normally pretty clear if a battery is past its best by how long it can keep your van powered off hook up.

in short, if its showing low a day after a full charge, its either dying or dead already

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
Get yourself either a cheap multi tester, or a plug in digital voltage indicator. When charging you should get reading of around 13.4volts, and after letting it settle for 10 minutes it should read about 12.8 volts. It gets down to the danger mark at about 12.4 volts, but you will need to work out what you are using a day in amps per hour, and check it against the amp hours of your battery/ batteries. It may help to flatten the battery well down, and then give it a good long slow charge. Depending on use, they can last up to five years, with proper maintenance, and only letting them get half flat before recharging.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Is there an easy way to check if leisure batteries are working to their best ability or are past it? I'm not sure how long the batteries have been in there; at least a year and a half (the duration of my ownership) but I'm beginning to suspect that they may need replacing... had alarms blaring after a very short period following a full charge!?

At the Chester Food & Drink Festival on EHU if there's anyone 'local' who is knowledgable and fancy's a chat over coffee and a bacon bap in the morning?

Thanks in advance,

Boolush

Hi Boolush

Are you sorted or do you need somebody to walk over later with a multimeter (I will send Techno):ROFLMAO:

Not missing the bacon butties though so will have to time it carefully:thumb:.

Martin
(all the way from the other camper area I could have SHOUTED but using the iboost is easier)

OP
OP
Boolush

Boolush

Free Member
Sep 17, 2012
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the offer Martin; did make it to the bacon bap feast but was beaten back by the rain... We're over in the EHU section and our van is the Burstner Argos with the two mopeds (under cover) on the trailer if you happen to be passing...

Thanks for your reply,

Hughie

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back