Battery charging (1 Viewer)

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
Had a very interesting chat with "Jon & Shell" this morning about battery charging.

We discussed subjects covering battery-to-battery, alternator-to-battery, traction batteries and split-charge relays etc.

I am curious as to why Hymer, Autotrail, Swift et al don't install a solution like this from new? I mean off hook leisure battery charging on a shop bought van seems a bit naff compared to say... an alternator-to-battery system?

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I guess it's probably a cost issue?

TBH I found the electrical systems in every new van I looked at lacking for modern needs. I mean years ago I had a Pilote A class. I cant recall the charging system in it but remember it had a single 110ah battery. I think it was a mid 80's van (from memory).

Nowadays we all rely on mobile phones, most use a laptop and a lot of vans have a compressor fridge fitted.

The electrical system? The same as was in my old Pilote.

Seems nuts to me. Spend a small fortune on a mobile house and have to stop and plug it in?

It's one of the main reasons I decided to build my own van this time.

OP
OP
BigClick
May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
I guess it's probably a cost issue?

TBH I found the electrical systems in every new van I looked at lacking for modern needs. I mean years ago I had a Pilote A class. I cant recall the charging system in it but remember it had a single 110ah battery. I think it was a mid 80's van (from memory).

Nowadays we all rely on mobile phones, most use a laptop and a lot of vans have a compressor fridge fitted.

The electrical system? The same as was in my old Pilote.

Seems nuts to me. Spend a small fortune on a mobile house and have to stop and plug it in?

It's one of the main reasons I decided to build my own van this time.

Love your blog mate. Wish I had the time to do something like that. Hope to read more as you progress.
:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
The battery-battery chargers seem to be very good, I've only ever used Sterling Power ones though,I also use their battery chargers. I think most of the "ready made" conversions /caravans use pretty pathetic electricals with most seeming to not have adequate size wiring to prevent voltage drop and using very basic relays for split charging. If just wanting to use a basic split charge system I either use the Durite 140amp voltage sensing relay Link Removed
or these from Amber Valley Link Removed

I actually prefer the Amber Valley ones and have one fitted to my motorhome alongside one of Sterling's battery charger's. no doubt I will change the VSR for one of sterlings battery to battery chargers if one crops up at the right price.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I suppose the majority of motorhomers stay on sites with ehu. I don't know if this is true, but the manufacturers seem to think it is.
Strangely, mine is French, and I don't think many French motorhomers stay on sites very often. It still has no built in facility for more than one battery, and as standard has no solar. Most aires, which the French mainly use have no hookup, and charging from the engine alternator is almost non-existent as the leisure battery is as far from the engine as it can be.
Perhaps the manufacturers have no idea, or interest, in what their customers need.

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
organplayer

Our Bailey 740 has a Sterling B to B charger installed along with other items, fitted superbly by VanBitz. The Sterling advice is to use an open lead acid battery, which can obviously be topped up with distilled water, not a so called sealed maintenance free one. I have been reading the ads for Banner batteries which state that they can be topped up and that they are maintenance free.

Does anyone know if an open lead acid battery can possibly also be maintenance free.

OP
OP
BigClick
May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
Our Bailey 740 has a Sterling B to B charger installed along with other items, fitted superbly by VanBitz. The Sterling advice is to use an open lead acid battery, which can obviously be topped up with distilled water, not a so called sealed maintenance free one. I have been reading the ads for Banner batteries which state that they can be topped up and that they are maintenance free.

Does anyone know if an open lead acid battery can possibly also be maintenance free.

I think thats an Oxymoron :Smile:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
Jon got his own back.

Text message and phone call at 0230 this morning.:Sad:

sterling b2b and traction batteries all the way, best investment I have made, since we mainly wild camp::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

maintenance free batteries are lead acid.

the things that make them maintenance free is a valve in the cap/cover which condenses gas back to water and drips back into the cells before it escapes to air.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back