Battery charging (1 Viewer)

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
2019 Burstner Iexo 730

The rate of charging when on mains has now got very very slow, even when parked up on our drive with the 12 volt panel turned off it takes over 24 hrs to get from 82% to 93% . As I have a spare Victron Blue energy smart ip22 30 amp charger from my last van, I thought I would fit it as I am not too worried about the possible long term effect on the batteries as I will be having a complete revamp of the electric on our return to the UK with Lithium. I cant work out how to turn the Electro block charger off (EBL 630B)
So have tried running them both out the same time. According to my phone the Victron is charging at 14.4 volts 9.7 amps but the vans display shows the same voltage but a discharge of 9 amps and the percentage of charge is decreasing. The Victron is connected directly to the batteries + of batt 1 - of battery 2 must be upsetting something but what? Have ran two chargers at once in my last van with no problems as each responds to the demands required.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
That doesn't make sense. If one charger is putting in 9 ish Amp yet you have a discharge of 9 Amps are you sure you have the correct positive and negative?

What happens if you take your inbuilt charger off, i.e. disconnect the EHU lead so your Victron is the only thing connected to mains power?

Jul 29, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New to motorhomes, had a camper van before this.
If you’re connecting to + on battery 1 and - on battery 2, don’t you have them in series, so 24V instead of 12V. Bear in mind this is from my school days, so may well be wrong.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If you’re connecting to + on battery 1 and - on battery 2, don’t you have them in series, so 24V instead of 12V. Bear in mind this is from my school days, so may well be wrong.
No because the positives are directly connected together and the negatives are directly connected together by the van's wiring. It's just the position of the charger connection he's talking about.

OP
OP
B
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
It’s confusing me!! I have double checkEd that the pos and neg are correct from the 2nd charger to the batteries, I haven’t tried turning the mains off to the van and running a lead to the second charger. This is our first Burstner and not to familiar with Electro block set up. There is only a breaker for the mains no mcb’s so I couldn’t turn the charger off? Will try a separate lead when the gale stops!! looked at the electro block it states 12 volt 18. Amp but can’t see where you can turn it off

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I suspect that one charger is being upset by sensing the voltage from the other charger.

OP
OP
B
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
I understand it may not show the input, but I can’t understand why the panel shows a negative figure and the state of charge is decreasing. The voltage goes up but the state of charge goes down?

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Maybe the Victron charger amps are not being accounted for by the EBL, because you are bypassing its current measuring circuit by going direct to the battery. In that case, the battery will charge up fine, but the EBL might think it is still low.

On the front of the EBL630B there are three fuses, labelled 'Internes Lademodul' (= Internal Charger Module), 'Zusatz Ladegerat 1' (= Auxiliary charger 1) and 'Zusatz Ladegerat 2'.

Removing the 30A Internes Lademodul fuse will cut off the output of the internal mains charger, which I think you suspect is failing.

The nearby socket labelled BL1 is a Minifit 2-way type, for Auxiliary Charger 1. Pin 1 is negative, pin 2 is positive. You could feed the Victron output into that socket if you had a suitable plug. Also, insert a 30A fuse in the appropriate slot if there isn't one there already.

This Minifit socket goes to exactly the same place inside the EBL circuitry as the Internal Charge Module output, so if the Victron works OK then you confirm that the EBL Internal Charge Module is faulty.

On the other hand, if the Victron shows the same problems, then it's a fault within the EBL

OP
OP
B
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Many thanks for good info, I have been trying to find a manual for it with no luck. Will have a look in the morning.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
A manual for the EBL 630B is available from the Schaudt GMBH website.
An English version is available, but the site itself is in German. In the Support section, you choose the device:
Elektroblock EBL,
with (mit) charger function,
Display separate.
Scroll down to the EBL 630B and select the English version (Union Jack symbol). Click Download.
How it works is, you enter your email address, they send you an email with a download link. I got a reply in less than two minutes.

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
When I connected a bigger charger direct to my batteries Udo Lang at Schaudt said just remove the 20A charging fuse on the EBL (29).

OP
OP
B
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Many thanks to all especially autorouter most informative. On my electro block there is no mains plug that I can see that supplies the 240 volt ?

OP
OP
B
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Possible result and may be of interest to members. As I stated previously this is our first Burstner with the Schaudt electronics.
We have the control panel with the rotary dial to select various controls. Following a conversation with our suppling dealers service manager I carried out the following.

On the control panel turn the rotary knob to the leisure batteries, it first shows the voltage, press once it shows the amps in or out, second press it shows the % of charge. If you then press and hold the dial in after a few seconds it shows or should show the battery capacity in my case it would be 190 amps. Because this van was supplied with only one 95 amp battery I added a second one. But was unaware that you have to tell the system that you now have more capacity. So I then turned the dial from 95 to 190 held it in until it told me it had registered the increased capacity. As we run a Dometic cf35 freezer box the battery drain is quite a lot left the mains off overnight. On powering up today charging voltage went up to 14.8 and 13.3 amps just been out to check the dial shows 97% of charge and 14.7 volts. So hopefully cracked it. Many thanks to all who contributed. Our van does not have adblue or a smart alternator. Although sold to me as a recent arrival in stock and new at Sept 2019 this van was made Aug 2018.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back