Free Member
Feb 12, 2014
Lanarkshire
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Guys I have the old black charger in my MH you can't switch it off after a season battery no good I intend to fit a smart charger and take out the old one. Is it a easy job at present from the old one there is the 240v supply going in then the black and red lead coming out along with a small single cable Also could you please recommend a good charger
Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Simply swap like for like.

I thought the additional wire could be a battery temperature sensor but the charger sounds too old for that so it may be an addition by a previous owner to supply/charge something else.

Cant really recommend anything but any decent smart charger should do but aim for a reasonable output.
my last replacement was rated at 25amps.
the one i replaced in my RV is rated at 45amps.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Forgot to mention.....

If you have good old lead/acid batteries then no problem, but if you have gell or glass mat batteries then the charger needs to be capable of charging those as well....its a different type of charging cycle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Remember it is not just a battery charger you require, it should also incorporate 12v power supply ..

only you can determine what supply you require.. this is 18Amps probably more than enough, something like this would fit the bill..

This charger is recommended for use on batteries >60Ah and no more than 200Ah as a guide
18 amp 3-Stage Battery Charger & Power Supply

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Remember it is not just a battery charger you require, it should also incorporate 12v power supply ..

only you can determine what supply you require.. this is 18Amps probably more than enough, something like this would fit the bill..

This charger is recommended for use on batteries >60Ah and no more than 200Ah as a guide
18 amp 3-Stage Battery Charger & Power Supply
Thats the last one i replaced except i have the 25amp version which i think was discontinued.

It was removed when i sold the van and now resides in my garage for emergencies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back