Battery charger ? (1 Viewer)

Sep 11, 2018
N Wales nr Chester
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay pvc
Exp
16yrs
In my van I have a B2B unit, 370w solar panels & 330Ah worth of batteries- what I’ve just realised 🥴 is that I don’t have a battery charger fitted for when the sun doesn’t shine ! Most times we’re on hook up but still no way to keep the leisure batteries charged,
what decent (not too expensive) charger would you recommend ?

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
You really need a 30 amp charger .Do you actually need a mains charger with that set up ? Though I suppose its your busy time of year running the Blackpool illuminations.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
If mostly on hook up why do you need such a large battery bank and solar set up?

Victron make good ones but as PhilandMena suggests C-Tek are excellent.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Do you need a high amp charger? Chances are that if you're plugged in, you'll be there a while. And if you pull too much juice, you'll trip out some crappy EHUs.

OP
OP
Vikdikdok
Sep 11, 2018
N Wales nr Chester
Funster No
MH
Citroen Relay pvc
Exp
16yrs
I'd just like a charger to ease my mind, Usually when we venture away the "boss" prefers hardstanding & hook up but occasionally we do venture off grid (that's when I worry about flat leisure batteries), I'm sure I don't need a high amp charger, just one to trickle charge around 5amp

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I'd just like a charger to ease my mind, Usually when we venture away the "boss" prefers hardstanding & hook up but occasionally we do venture off grid (that's when I worry about flat leisure batteries), I'm sure I don't need a high amp charger, just one to trickle charge around 5amp

I'd recommend the Victron ones (i.e. BlueSmart IP22 series). However, if your MPPT and B2B are another manufacturer, stick with the same for familiarity. I'd forgo the 5A charger. Anything that low power will typically be shocking quality and is more likely to fry your battery when left connected. Better to get a good make 20A+, which can provide proper smart charging to extend battery life.

Nov 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Mercedes Vario 614
Renogy do a good DC to DC battery charger with MPPT built in. I am looking at one for my new van. The one thing about a decent DC to DC battery charger is that they extend the life of your Leisure batteries and work way better than smart relays or smart switches. I think the Renogy also has an extra connection so your hookup can feed into it.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
I'd forgo the 5A charger. Anything that low power will typically be shocking quality and is more likely to fry your battery when left connected.
Unless it's a CTEK MXS5.0. I have one of these, mainly because it has a motorcycle mode to charge small batteries. I've used it on the leisure batteries when the EBL built-in charger failed, and it works fine. It obviously takes a long time to fill up a flat 200Ah battery bank, but it gets there in the end, and doesn't overheat or have any other problems. It's OK if you are on hookup on a site, staying for a day or more. The only reason you'd need a bigger charger is if you have a limited time on hookup (connected to a 'Bord' supply on an aire, at 1 euro per hour, for example).

Actually I have two of these chargers. I leave one connected to the car on the drive at home while we are away, so it always starts first time when we return. I have to move the car to get the MH onto the drive.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I leave the optimate 2 on the car. Charges at 0.8 amps. When home I put it on the van leisure battery, safer to leave unattended than the 10 amp on board charger 👍

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Some in lidl this week ,£12.99 .

<Broken link removed>

There are also some power bank starter packs as well but not sure if they will start a MH.

<Broken link removed>

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back