Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Hi I am almost ready to install a zig cf9 unit to my campervan and was n`t surprised at the price of cable.(Especially Maplins wow they can charge)
However somebody said that I could use 4mm sq solar panel copper cable between the main battery and the leisure battery. Not convinced but would be miles cheaper Any comments appreciated I am new to this so please tolerate my ignorance Also any other help with installation procedure. 24 volt hookup and RCD unit already in(10amp and5 amp) I will only be running 12volt switched lights ,water pump etc from 12volt side.........Thanks Bruce

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hee hee, why do you need to be knowing that Bruce? Your info panel says you haven't got a M/H ! :Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Hee hee, why do you need to be knowing that Bruce? Your info panel says you haven't got a M/H ! :Smile:

HEE HEE I HAVE NOW. A TRANSIT MINIBUS NOW MINUS SEATS. BULKHEAD FITTED BEDS INSTALLED SINK AND HOB KITCHEN UNIT NEARLY READY SITTING IN LIVING ROOM WITH MILLIONS OF OTHER BITS AND PIECES(WIFE ON VALLIUM) SO ANY HELP PLEASE AS I WANT TO DO THE WIRING BEFORE EVERYTHING IS IN
REGARDS BRUCE
ps will change info panel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bruce

Bruce

Free Member
Aug 12, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER FLAIR
Exp
TWO YEARS
Toby transit

Hi hee hee now have transit hi cube minibus for converting to camper updated profile but still finding my way about site will post pics when i know how

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi I am almost ready to install a zig cf9 unit to my campervan and was n`t surprised at the price of cable.(Especially Maplins wow they can charge)
However somebody said that I could use 4mm sq solar panel copper cable between the main battery and the leisure battery. Not convinced but would be miles cheaper Any comments appreciated I am new to this so please tolerate my ignorance Also any other help with installation procedure. 24 volt hookup and RCD unit already in(10amp and5 amp) I will only be running 12volt switched lights ,water pump etc from 12volt side.........Thanks Bruce

Hi Bruce
to answer the fist question..
The cable size must be calculated, to do so.. what is your ..>

1. Max Current in Amps.
2. Cable length in meters.

From these two factors use this calculator to determine the correct size..

http://www.solar-wind.co.uk/cable-sizing-DC-cables.html

Upvote 0

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Quite often the cheapest way to buy big cables is to buy Jump leads of e-bay and cut the clamps off:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Quite often the cheapest way to buy big cables is to buy Jump leads of e-bay and cut the clamps off:thumb::thumb:

I've noticed that, also a cheap way to get 3core 13A cable is to buy an extension lead and cut the ends off. 5m extension lead £1.99, cable 80p/m i.e. £4 for 5m.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back