Battery advice please (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 454 HiStyle
Exp
2 years back in 2009/10; resuming in 2016.
Just been to check my van at the storage place and all batteries are completely flat. I last drove it 5 weeks ago and foolishly haven't checked since. This is a 2016 van that I picked up in April last year. I have also had a 2nd leisure battery fitted by VanBitz (and a battery master) and there is a solar panel fitted.

Question: because I've let them go dead (thought the solar panel would keep them ticking over - how foolish is that!) is this likely to mean that the batteries are shot and will all need to be replaced? Forgive the dumb question, but I'm a complete numpty when it comes to technical matters!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If they have not completely had it their life will have been considerably reduced.
I think you need to find out why they went flat, sounds like the solar is not charging. If you have a multimeter you could measure the voltage at the solar regulator. On the input the feed from the solar panel in bright sunlight you should read 16 to 21 volts, if you are not reading anything or a very low voltage there is either wiring or panel fault. If the input voltage is OK, check the voltage on the output terminals you should see 13.6 to 14.4 volts, if much less it is either a faulty regulator or the failed batteries are dragging the voltage down.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Really they should have been OK outside with a solar panel so Lenny's advice above is pretty spot on.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Agree with above. Check batteries have not been isolated from charging systems. On my motorhome I have a kill switch that switches everything off. Also check battery fuses.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back