Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Right oh wise ones....

Winne, so we are talking RVs here but I guess it shouldn't matter.

We have 2 off 120 amp Leasure batteries which at 18 months have failed, hold a charge for a while, like an hour on moderate load then drop like a stone, bit like dead cell, but they recover off load, strange.

Anyway, just spoke to the supplier who are to collect for test and replacement (yes I know, we'll wait and see) Monday. Obviously I'll insulate the battery connections once removed on the van side as running there is charging from the engine and not running there is the solar panel. The question, this situation is safe and wont damage anything will it?

Sounds daft, or common sence, just never run a MH system without a battery and wont be hooking up or anything until reinstated just confirming in my mind that the engine to leasure charging and solar shouldn't be affected by no battery?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
both engine and solar have (or should have) a regulator to prevent damage so no worries. sounds like another candidate for a desulphating charger. Do let us know what they think the cause is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dodgey
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Thanks Roger, yup I thought about the desulphating charger but thought I'd speak to supplier first and as they say they'll replace worth a look first before buying a fancy charger, though I'm very tempted going forward as I can't help feeling a once a year 'recondition' may be the way forward to help prevent annoying no power scenarios. Dispite being site types we rairly have EHU so as we found out last weekend it's a bit of a bugger when you run out:Doh: Actually it wasn't all bad, we just had to go down the pub Saturday evening for a few hours, oh the hardship:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
sounds like another candidate for a desulphating charger.

After reading about the Aldi ones a lot I got one yesterday.

For £13 looks very well made. Only 3.8A but more than enough to keep a battery happy. It does attempt recovery.

Not got a use for it at the moment, but good to have on a shelf.

Our original leisure battery is 7 years old and still working fine, it's on float all the time we aren't on the road. I top it up every couple of months.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
After reading about the Aldi ones a lot I got one yesterday.

For £13 looks very well made. Only 3.8A but more than enough to keep a battery happy. It does attempt recovery.

Not got a use for it at the moment, but good to have on a shelf.

Our original leisure battery is 7 years old and still working fine, it's on float all the time we aren't on the road. I top it up every couple of months.

just bought one myself Brian and i just now had cause to use it.

i use a 12v 17ah wheelchair battery to run my 12v workshop handlamp and after a couple of hours trying to resusitate the kipor i had to recharge it.

plug in, connect up ...showing 9.5v.

press 'mode' and it went into 'pulse' charge mode.

5 mins and showing 10.5v then dropped into normal charge mode.

15mins later showing 13.5v....now to leave it on for a day or two.

for £13 i dont think you can get better. :thumb:

think it may stuggle a bit on my 480ah battery bank though !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back