Batteries in same locker as gas shut off valve (1 Viewer)

Sep 15, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
2015 Auto-Trail V600
Exp
8 years motohoming and counting
hi all.

I have a fully vented metal gas locker at rear of my PVC and want to fit an underslung tank instead of the two 6kg cylinders to free up storage. The current wall mounted regulator will be relocated to the tank area and in its place a manual gas shut off valve will be installed . I would like to use the locker to site two leisure batteries. I currently have one only which is under the front bench. I want to creste space under the bench to store all our bedding together. Are there any safety regulations stipulating if this is allowed ie gas parts ( valve) in close proximity to electrical items ( batteries) or what measures must be taken to ensure a safe installation in this scenario.

Pvc is autotrail V600.

Many thx in advance.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have two rules about location of services when doing a build.

No electric below water and no electric near gas. Basically if electric and water needs to run near each other the electric goes at least a foot above the water pipe. I don't put any electrical junction boxes in the same area as a water connector of any kind in case it spring a leak and sprays.

On the use of the gas box for batteries. Other than the slight safety issue. There is an efficiency issue. Batteries operate poorly at low temp. So in the cooler part of the year you would lose battery capacity.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Like this you mean :LOL::whistle:
image-L.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
gas meter and electric meter are often in the same space in domestic, gas regs need 150mm clearance from a consumer unit or a non conductive divider between them for domestic
gas pipe from an electrical socket is only 25mm there are no gas regs for motorhomes that are owner used

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
gas meter and electric meter are often in the same space in domestic, gas regs need 150mm clearance from a consumer unit or a non conductive divider between them for domestic
gas pipe from an electrical socket is only 25mm there are no gas regs for motorhomes that are owner used

But your house tends not to be bouncing down the roads on some bouncing rubber corners. Your house also isn't subjected to the extremes of temperatures a motorhome is either.

For me, it was about limiting any possibility of problems. That said I am a fulltimer so I perhaps take this safety malarky a bit too far :p

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Gas connections, appliances, and pipework will be very close to each other in several locations around a motorhome because of the limited space in which to install / run them. The fridge, for example, has 12v, mains, and gas in reasonable proximity. The supplies to a Truma heater also share a limited space. A correctly connected battery will not produce sparks in use. A correctly connected gas valve will not leak whether in operation or not. I would have absolutely no qualms about doing what you have described. If I ever find time to fit one of the two LPG tanks I have I will be doing exactly the same.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back