Batteries/immobiliser - what is the problem (1 Viewer)

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
BEWARE -- once declared SORN it has to remain so for a minimum of one month under the new rules. Unless I have it totally wrong in which case someone will correct me.

I don't think that's correct, Roger.

We have declared SORN for a few days at a time and then bought road tax back-dated to the start of the month.

And then driven around without tax because I forgot it was still on SORN :whistle:

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
That's helpful - will check that out!

A professional importer told me it takes DVLA 2 weeks to register it, so presumably that's another 2 weeks to unsorn it.

All I care about is getting it sorted out for the Morocco trip and time is ticking by!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So, assuming I still have the insurance when I send off my DVLA application, same day, I know, sounds a bit dodgy, but certainly wouldn't be driving it anywhere, (and legally I have valid insurance at that time) and reinsure as soon as they give me the registration document.

I don't get that. Do you need insurance to send in the docs ?

You don't have to have insurance if it's off the road and not taxed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
All I care about is getting it sorted out for the Morocco trip and time is ticking by!

That's true nothing flies like time and you really do need to drive a good few hundred miles here before you set off. Check your tyres, Morocco and back is 4000 - 5000 miles. I've not idea what a RWD Merc does on tyres. Snowbird will.

Someone said they were off to Morocco from Haganap's New Year's Eve do in Uttoxter, there's a thought for you.

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Now i'm getting confused again - easily done! :ROFLMAO:

Looking up the notes it appears I can go to the local office in Dundee with the form/documentation, so presumably if I can get the van back home and into Dundee in the afternoon I could be okay.

Basically you need insurance as it is "an application for a first tax disc and registration for a used motor vehicle".

Well, not much I can do about it now will wait until Tuesday and see how that goes.

And re. Morocco, as I've decided to drive all the way down, I didn't want to wait until after New Year as I'm not sure how long I can stay down there, depends on business for the rest of the year.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
So, assuming I still have the insurance when I send off my DVLA application, same day, I know, sounds a bit dodgy, but certainly wouldn't be driving it anywhere, (and legally I have valid insurance at that time) and reinsure as soon as they give me the registration document.

I don't want to pose the question to DVLA as I know (have had dealings) and know how totally inept they are.

Does a vehicle need to be insured to to be registered?

SORN is the off-road equivalent of insurance.

(Oh, and tell your daughter that home-ed means Holland is that place you went to buy a van, those people you met, that food you ate in those shops. In school she would only learn about Nazis and the Second World War.) :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Basically you need insurance as it is "an application for a first tax disc and registration for a used motor vehicle".

And re. Morocco, as I've decided to drive all the way down

Now I see. A real catch 22, you can't get insurance without a logbook, you can't get a logbook without insurance.

You can meet fellow travellers in Uttoxeter and make Jan 15th with ease. If you are going via Dover/Calais you have 2000 miles ahead of you.

Much easier for you is Santander, that cuts out the whole of France. Cost wise there is nothing in it with the fuel you will use.

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Does a vehicle need to be insured to to be registered?

SORN is the off-road equivalent of insurance.

(Oh, and tell your daughter that home-ed means Holland is that place you went to buy a van, those people you met, that food you ate in those shops. In school she would only learn about Nazis and the Second World War.) :Smile:

Good point, but she's learnt a little about the second world war, through reading when hitler stole pink rabbit"I am david/silver sword/anne frank's diary/a little history of the world............I'm an avid reader, but she is better read than I was ever taught at school.

And we went to The Anne Frank Museum in Amsterdam, glad I pre-booked as the queue was hours' long. Bit disappointing though, I think a concentration camp would be better to understand and show respect to all the people that went through it.

The second world war was such a major point in our parents/grandparents history that it's important it isn't lost on the generations to come as it was so horrific, how can you try and build a supreme race and exterminate others.

And without wishing to start a controversial thread here, (totally off-topic!) when travelling, I have met so many lovely German people, (although I know they are a bit rigid, and have towels on sunbeds at 5am) unlike us slovenly Brits........it's hard to correlate with their past, but I guess it goes for anywhere doesn't it? Good and bad and all that, frightened for their own lives.

End of gushing now...............Holland is also the place I took her round the red light district and explained about all that, age 10........don't stare I said, they don't like it. Whether it's life choice or they are forced into it there is a demand for it, otherwise they wouldn't be there.

Wow! She's had a lot of education! People may criticise but as a lone parent I think, what if something happened to me and I wasn't here, I want my daughter to know what she needs to know about life, because who the hell will teach her if I'm not? Maybe it's odd, but the old ways of bumbling/fumbling/Chinese whispers is irrelevant in this day and age. Hard facts are important. :winky:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I don't think that's correct, Roger.

We have declared SORN for a few days at a time and then bought road tax back-dated to the start of the month.

And then driven around without tax because I forgot it was still on SORN :whistle:
You did that this year??????
SORN is Statutary Off road Notice, a legal notification that the vehicle is NOT on a public road, it is nothing to do with insurance.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
BEWARE -- once declared SORN it has to remain so for a minimum of one month under the new rules. Unless I have it totally wrong in which case someone will correct me.

SORN is Statutary Off road Notice, a legal notification that the vehicle is NOT on a public road, it is nothing to do with insurance.

I don't think I explained myself very well, Roger. :Smile:

We have had the van on SORN for just a week or two in the past and have then bought tax backdated to the start of the month, i.e. it doesn't have to be on SORN for a full month.

And two days ago I completely forgot it was still on SORN when we were changing sites :whistle:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

It is now. If your insurance runs out and you have not SORNed it you commit an offence.

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
::bigsmile: GOOD NEWS!!!!!

The garage got me in early - they have now MOT'd it as a pass for ÂŁ125!!!

What a bargainous figure that was.

So they are collecting me first thing to get the van, then i'm off to the DVLA office in Dundee to try and get it registered before my insurance runs out then speak to my insurance company.

Finger's crossed it goes okay and I don't need an inspection or anything.

Now wouldn't it be lovely if it all goes smoothly..........................:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Pinkie it`s all frustrating but valued learning, you will get there and your gained wisdom can now be passed onto other FUNSTERS, :thumb: because its a sure bet someone in similar situation will ask the same as you have.

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Yes indeed!

Gained wisdom..............don't go and buy a van just before you have an overseas trip planned!

Or just do, and grasp the nettle as it were! ::bigsmile:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Hi ya pinkie
You are still joint top off my list of daft as a brush people and only just second to old mo

Do you have a start date in mind for setting of to morroco
As I do think it may be a good idea to travel with a few others
Not doubting your skill in any way and you have defiantly proven your self as being very capable still daft though
but first long run in a new van it may help to have a few people around heading same way
Now go on tell me to mind my own business:thumb:

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Hi ya pinkie
You are still joint top off my list of daft as a brush people and only just second to old mo

Do you have a start date in mind for setting of to morroco
As I do think it may be a good idea to travel with a few others
Not doubting your skill in any way and you have defiantly proven your self as being very capable still daft though
but first long run in a new van it may help to have a few people around heading same way
Now go on tell me to mind my own business:thumb:

Not sure where the "daft as a brush" comes from - I am clearly projecting an image different to the one I see myself!!!! :ROFLMAO:

I am so busy at the moment with business, and getting the van registered that I can't give much thought to Morocco yet, but I am sure whenever I get down to Spain there will be plenty of people going over who can assist with any problems. You worry too much!!!! :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back