Batteries/immobiliser - what is the problem (1 Viewer)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am SO relieved! :thumb:

So are 20,000 others.

Who needs East Enders when we've got you.

And in the next exciting episode.......

Will it pass ?

Will it fail ?

Will they find the hidden store of uncut cocaine hidden under the rear wing ?

Is Pinkie innocent or was this The Grand Plan all along ?

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
As she did spend some time in a Dutch Cafe I would have thought "Herbal Tobacco" was more likely:ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Oh come on guys!!!! ::bigsmile:

If I spent an afternoon at a "dutch coffee shop" it certainly wasn't in Hook of Holland.............(or did I miss that one!) and no, the labradoodle and daughter weren't MULES either.............!

I AM INNOCENT, I would say virginal too but that's stretching it a bit with a daughter! :ROFLMAO:

I only have one week's insurance left, then will have to cancel the policy and reapply, it can't be extended longer, 3 week ABSOLUTE limit, so it will cover me for MOT and electrics and after registration I will get new insurance.

All looking good............although virginal status is worth a bit on ebay apparently!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

(I may still be worth a camel in Morocco though!!!!!) :thumb:

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
MH Fun

I've just been reading through this drama - didn't get involved as I wouldn't have been any help - and what an exciting story it told.

But my point is this - where else would you get so many knights in shining armour helping out a poor distressed maiden with a seemingly insurmountable problem, and all done with humour, sympathy and good manners.

It really is a pleasure to be a member of this community.

John

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Totally agree with that! They have all been fabulous!

Was slightly concerned that the auto-electrician pointed out I nearly touched the wrong thing when I followed the instructions to disconnect the battery, as I had disconnected the wrong battery, thinking it was the habitation battery and it wasn't. Another centimeter and I could have been blown up/fried/Pinkie left the earth!!! :ROFLMAO:

Very lucky that day it seems! ::bigsmile:

Bebe

Free Member
May 22, 2013
Spain/East Yorkshire, Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2001
Totally agree with that! They have all been fabulous!

Was slightly concerned that the auto-electrician pointed out I nearly touched the wrong thing when I followed the instructions to disconnect the battery, as I had disconnected the wrong battery, thinking it was the habitation battery and it wasn't. Another centimeter and I could have been blown up/fried/Pinkie left the earth!!! :ROFLMAO:

I made a big mess of ordering new leisure batteries by presuming the brown leads are live on our van. I could have easily tried to connect the new ones and dread to think what may have happened. I am now reading up on the electrical side and find it quite difficult to understand. Fuses and wiring I just cannot grasp (especially when written in German) :Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Another centimeter and I could have been blown up/fried/Pinkie left the earth!!! :ROFLMAO:

Now you see The Big Problem of people posting advice without any thought of the ability of the person receiving that advice.

You short out a big lead acid battery, just a screwdriver falling in the wrong place or a wire touching earth and you'll get sparks you would not believe and more than enough heat to start a fire or a sever burn as you panic and try and pick up the screwdriver which is in seconds red hot.

240V mains can be even worse. A MH is mostly a big metal box, get a hook up wire wrong and the whole body could be at 240V because it stands on rubber tyres. Stand on wet grass and touch the body, death.

"Just take the battery connection off" people have posted. I nearly posted "take two jiffy bags and immediately stuff the wire end into one and fasten it" but I tire of folk posting "do you ever say anything positive" and similar comments when trying to protect you earlier.

Keep that luck running Pinkie.

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Now you see The Big Problem of people posting advice without any thought of the ability of the person receiving that advice.

You short out a big lead acid battery, just a screwdriver falling in the wrong place or a wire touching earth and you'll get sparks you would not believe and more than enough heat to start a fire or a sever burn as you panic and try and pick up the screwdriver which is in seconds red hot.

240V mains can be even worse. A MH is mostly a big metal box, get a hook up wire wrong and the whole body could be at 240V because it stands on rubber tyres. Stand on wet grass and touch the body, death.

"Just take the battery connection off" people have posted. I nearly posted "take two jiffy bags and immediately stuff the wire end into one and fasten it" but I tire of folk posting "do you ever say anything positive" and similar comments when trying to protect you earlier.

Keep that luck running Pinkie.

Totally agree, I'm rather handy at a lot of things, but knowing one's limitations is important. I have really struggled to get my head round this business, I'm not interested in anything mechanical and certainly don't want to dice with death.

I would rather pay someone to sort it all out for me, so it's good the auto-electrician is going to check everything and explain it all (SLOWLY!!) to me, how everything works.

Hopefully the MOT will be good news! :thumb:

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
MOT!!!!

Sometimes you just feel like banging your head against a wall don't you?!!!

Drove to Arbroath with my papers for the MOT, he couldn't do it because I didn't know the engine size, it's not on any of the paperwork, and the technical data from Hymer in Germany doesn't state it either.

The seller did mention it once, but as it doesn't state it anywhere, not sure if it's correct or not.

The MOT guy, who actually didn't seem too keen to do it anyway, said I would probably have to go to VOSA in Perth who can override the system.

Slowly losing the will to live, but at least the van had a good run.

Anyone got any bright ideas, or should I just cling onto the wrong bit of the battery and get it over and done with?! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
only way to be certain is look up the engine number, but assuming it is a 5 cyl engine the most common fitted to the b555 was 2.9litr

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
only way to be certain is look up the engine number, but assuming it is a 5 cyl engine the most common fitted to the b555 was 2.9litr

Looking back at the messages between myself and the very lovely MEOR who spoke to the seller on the phone, he stated it was 2500cc, but it wasn't on the paperwork. (Meor mentioned that he thought that year was 2700cc), so given I don't understand cc's and engine size and all that, I AM CLUELESS!!!

Should I go back to the MOT guy tomorrow and state that, or should I phone VOSA for an appointment next week, I only have until the 5th on Insurance, that's the absolute limit, so not much time for messing about now, and it needs to go to the auto-electrician to sort out the battery drain.

What should I do now...........I just want the MOT!

Thanks guys, sorry for being a pain, but it's no good sat on my drive doing nothing! :Doh:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a google of that model mentions 2.9 and 3.0 no mention of 2.5 but who knows as I said the engine number holds the answer look it up on the net or phone a merc dealer.

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Found it finally on Wikipedia

MODEL
210 D / 310 D / 410 D

ENGINE
OM602/29

CYLINDERS
I5

DISPLACEMENT

MAX POWER/MIN
cc70 kW (95 hp) / 3800
(72 kW (98 hp) / 4000)* AUTOMATIC ONLY - MINE IS AUTO

MAX TORQUE/MIN
192 Nm / 2400–2600

YEARS
1989–1995

But I still can't work out - what is the engine size?? :cry:

durhamahoy

Free Member
Jun 11, 2012
Durham
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Hi Pinkie,
I think the displacement is the engine size 2800 or rounded up to 2.9 how much air the engine sucks in?

Thank you for the inspiring posts, p.s. hard of hearing myself.

Steve

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Fabulous!

Thanks you guys - will see if the MOT guy can do it tomorrow morning now............back on slow charge until then! ::bigsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
you will probably find the document in the link below to be invaluable. its the workshop manual for the old mercedes commercial vehicles that your motorhome is built on
Broken Link Removed

right click and save the file to your computer then open with acrobat reader or similar

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Can't thank you enough for that, that is so helpful!

Everything else I have is in german.

Excellent!!!!!! x

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Don't forget to check the engine number and ring merc dealer to identify. Mind if it is 5 cyl it is 2.9ltr

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Hi Wildman,

It's OM602/29 - as stated on the blurb on wiki, I have the B555 310d auto.

That's all I need isn't it?

Thanks.

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
bloody cheek!!! :roflmto:

Wait til you are driving behind me (no doubt cursing my driving!!!) in Morocco!

MOT FAIL!!!!

Just a few nitpicky things to correct, back brakes out of alignment, fog-light (as expected), front lights and inability to open drivers door from outside, the catch doesn't open quite enough.

Now have to wait until Tuesday to get it back in, but they will sort it out for me then, probably £150 they said. Bit of a nuisance as my insurance runs out at 5pm that day, so no chance of getting it to the auto-electrician until I get my registration docs and re-insure.

I suppose I have to register it as off-road and then apply for tax disc afterwards once I have registered and re-insured it?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just a few nitpicky things to correct, back brakes out of alignment, fog-light (as expected), front lights and inability to open drivers door from outside, the catch doesn't open quite enough.

Your luck is holding, that's less than you'd get on some new Brit MHs.

If it all goes a bit slow can they not return it on their trade insurance and trade plates ?

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
BEWARE -- once declared SORN it has to remain so for a minimum of one month under the new rules. Unless I have it totally wrong in which case someone will correct me.

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Your luck is holding, that's less than you'd get on some new Brit MHs.

If it all goes a bit slow can they not return it on their trade insurance and trade plates ?

Yes, they said they would, so that's fine.

So, assuming I still have the insurance when I send off my DVLA application, same day, I know, sounds a bit dodgy, but certainly wouldn't be driving it anywhere, (and legally I have valid insurance at that time) and reinsure as soon as they give me the registration document.

I don't want to pose the question to DVLA as I know (have had dealings) and know how totally inept they are.

Otherwise it's going back to my insurance broker, but he said he can't do anything without the registration document, I've had the maximum and that is that.

Anyone got any suggestions for a way round the problem? These are the things I used to ask my dear old dad about (and he was an insurance manager)...........who can point a fake blonde in the right direction.......:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back