Batteries/immobiliser - what is the problem (1 Viewer)

kglblue

Free Member
Nov 7, 2010
St.Agnes Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
6 years
Immobiliser

My van has a strike back 2 immobiliser fitted by Vanbitz. If the key fob is not used to disarm it, the van won't start, at first I thought the battery was flat as there was a click then nothing. The starter motor is shut down and it cannot be started. Inside the glove compartment there is a hidden key hole, the key, a strange looking thing, resets the immobiliser when the van has been immobilised. To get advice from Vanbitz as to how the thing works, I had to provide proof the van was mine and then register with them as the new owner. When I first bought the van I had exactly the problems you describe. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Hi,

Thanks for that, I have had trouble with the immobiliser too! Find it really annoying actually.

However, on this occasion it seems the battery was so low that it wouldn't start. Hopefully I will have some joy when I return from holiday and will then look into the immobiliser issue as well.

Thanks!

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Both are still flat.

But 11.4 on the hab battery is good, flat but probably will recover if it does not go lower. Make sure everything inside is off. You may have just run this down using it on the way home.

The engine battery, it's up to you to risk it dying or take the risk of leaving it on for the week.

Another few days and all would have been so much easier. That's life as a Pinkie it seems.

This trip to Italy was planned and booked some time ago so cannot be altered, (part business/part pleasure) it was the van that came up in the meantime.

Thanks for your advice, I shall leave it on in the hope it stays charged and sort it all out when I get back. Whether I have to throw more money at it to get it sorted, the van will be good to go in a few weeks. Just a minor blip in the scheme of things! :ROFLMAO:

At least I sort of have an idea of what the problem is, it can all get sorted on my return. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
This trip to Italy was planned and booked some time ago so cannot be altered, (part business/part pleasure) it was the van that came up in the meantime.

Thanks for your advice, I shall leave it on in the hope it stays charged and sort it all out when I get back. Whether I have to throw more money at it to get it sorted, the van will be good to go in a few weeks. Just a minor blip in the scheme of things! :ROFLMAO:

At least I sort of have an idea of what the problem is, it can all get sorted on my return. :thumb:

If everything else fails disconnect a terminal on both batteries
Assume the diagnosis on your return

That way if there is an electrical fault it can't cause problems
Until you return or reconnect your battery

When you discon the second of the two batteries
Just see if there is a spark it could point to a problem

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
If everything else fails disconnect a terminal on both batteries
Assume the diagnosis on your return

That way if there is an electrical fault it can't cause problems
Until you return or reconnect your battery

When you discon the second of the two batteries
Just see if there is a spark it could point to a problem

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Thanks for that, but I'm now on my way to Italy! I will just have to not think about it too much and hope it keeps charging whilst I'm away.

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
I'm back!!!!

Hi guys,

Right just got back from Italy to find that both batteries are showing 9.2!!!!

The first battery has had the charger on it all week............not sure what to do, shall I call someone out as I need to get it to a garage and just get it sorted out.

Thanks!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I am sorry to say the batteries are officially DEAD, now you need to find out why, what is draining the power. Oh the joys of motorhome ownership. Didn't you disconnect them before you went away and leave them on trickle charge.

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Hey Wildman!

Nope I didn't because I didn't really know how to do it. The batteries have a warranty with them, (Kwik Fit Holland only!!!)

Wonder whether to get a charge off someone tomorrow and take the van to kwik fit in Dundee or similar and get the thing looked at/sorted out then mot'd.

Time is of the essence because my insurance will run out without registration doc.

:cry:

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Kwik Fit isn't really the best choice for trouble shooting and repairs, Pinkie, ok for an emergency battery or tyre purchase but thats about it. It seems as if your batteries have been totally knackered by whatever is causing the drain on them - you need a proper auto electrical workshop (not Kwik Fit! ) to troubleshoot it for you.

As time is of the essence, I would simply switch off all the 12v stuff at your control unit and disconnect or get someone to disconnect, the habitation battery. Then buy yet another vehicle battery so you can get your MH through its registration. It sounds rather like an alternator fault which is frying the batteries but it could be anything from a poor connection to blown relays or a coil pack fault in the vehicle - like I say, you need a decent autoelectrical place to sort it. Forget about the habitation side of things for now, just disconnect the hab battery and get the vehicle itself mechanically sorted, then you can get the 12v system sorted in your own time.

Thats what Iwould do, anyway. No good buying two new batteries every few weeks!

And whatever you do, do NOT rely on Kwik Fit, they are fitters, as the name says, and not particularly great at it, plus some of their tactics leave a lot to be desired. Just use them in an emergency situation, like you did!

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Thanks for that info, I will look up auto-electricians and try and get the van to one tomorrow and just get it sorted - what a pain!!!!

Still, onwards and upwards! ::bigsmile:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Hi pinkie
Let me through my 2 cents in
I dont doubt your skills in anyway personaly I still think your as daft as a brush but I like your stubborn independent way I wish more people would learn if you dont try you will not ever succeeded

I would recommend
Find a local auto electrician recommend if possible and get them to check over van electrics you could end up spending money that does not need to be spent on alternators and such
And good sparky should be able to sort out problem or at least tell you whats wrong

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hey Wildman!

Nope I didn't because I didn't really know how to do it. The batteries have a warranty with them, (Kwik Fit Holland only!!!)

Wonder whether to get a charge off someone tomorrow and take the van to kwik fit in Dundee or similar and get the thing looked at/sorted out then mot'd.

Time is of the essence because my insurance will run out without registration doc.

:cry:
to disconnect the batteries you take the leads off one terminal of each battery. To trickle charge you would have left the Lidl charger connected direct one to each battery. I would advise you to get someone to teach you some basic electrics. Breakdown cover also a must for you. The batteries are both dead no point in trying to charge them. Find an auto electrician who can come out and find the problem, could be a short caused by mice chewing wiring as much as a faulty component. You obviously have a BIG unwanted drain on the batteries somewhere. Before you kill another battery get it checked out, look for a mobile auto electrician, not a DIY bodger and definitely not Quickfit. As to insurance registration etc get the van off the road and sorn it until sorted. Sorry there is no quick fix, though it may not actually take long to sort out. Good luck getting the batteries replaced as the fault is in the van and not the battery I assume they would not be happy to replace them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Thanks again guys!!!

Yes, I did think I won't get the batteries replaced, apart from the fact I would have to drive back to Holland to do it, it isn't a fault with the batteries fitted, I realise that.

I will phone around first thing tomorrow, and see if someone can come out and rescue me in my plight, as it's a bit bloody hopeless at the moment, before I mot and sort out the other stuff, at the very least I want a van that STARTS!!!!

Still, all this travelling has been a bit of a bind - although the SUN SHONE in Bari, so that was nice! Am stocked up for lovely ladies winter coats....................so if any of you lot would like to buy a beautiful ladies MaxMara coat for your love for Christmas - please see me!

All at least half retail price!

(Don't tell me..............you're all off to Morocco and don't need one!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Pinkie, I'm a bit late to this thread but allow me to make these points.

Both batteries were discharged to the same level, this indicated that the two are connected together in parallel. This should only be the case via the split charge relay, when the engine is running. You need to get this check by a knowledgeable motor home electrician.

The fact that the batteries were discharged means that there something using 12V electric all the time. This must be found and switched off. My initial hit list would be inverter, fridge, pump, tank heaters, heated wing mirrors.

At 9 point something volts the Aldi charger will not charge under your conditions. It will attempt to check that battery is not faulty. With the discharge load you have it will deem the battery kaput!. There is a red led on the charger but its very dim, and like the green charging led, can easily be missed.

My suggestion would be to disconnect one battery from the vehicle and try to charge that in isolation. Be careful when disconnecting the battery as the leads will be powered from the other battery (from my first point) so make sure the leads or connectors stay clear of any vehicle metal work. Connect the charger to the battery first and then plug into the mains, press th button until the car symbol is showing and wait 5 minutes. Check the leds, if the red one is out then you have started the charging. If the red one is showing unplug the charger and disconnect it from the battery. Wait a minute and then try again, you may be lucky second time. Report back with the voltage shown on the charger.
when the engine is running
Good luck.
Gordon

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If you diodn't disconnect the batteries, it may have been a drain was pulling more power than the charger was putting in....or the batteries could be goosed.

I have pm'd you a recommnded sparkie in your area that are on an approved trade network I deal with who is based in Dundee.

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Oh BLIMEY!!!!!...........................what have a got myself into here????!!!!

My eyes seriously glaze over when I try to find the right REMOTE CONTROL to use for the tv......................let alone deal with all these volts and I seriously can't get my head round what is still switched on, I've looked at everything on the van. But clearly there is something.

Will disconnect the second battery and try charging the other in isolation today, the good news is that I have booked "john's" auto electrics (as above) and he's coming out tomorrow afternoon to have a look.

Sorry, had just put the phone down from him when I got rainbow chasers message.

Good news though!

(Now to print out above instructions and take out to van!!!!) :ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Pinkie, I'm a bit late to this thread but allow me to make these points.

Both batteries were discharged to the same level, this indicated that the two are connected together in parallel. This should only be the case via the split charge relay, when the engine is running. You need to get this check by a knowledgeable motor home electrician.
Initially both batteries were at a different level (11.5v and 9.2v). They only became the same after being charged. The charger would simulate the engine running hence the relay would open and both batteries equalise. From that point even if there is not a fault (which there certainly is) it would take a further 24hrs at least to fully charge both batteries. If one is goosed then due to equalisation they will never reach a full charge. at 10.5v a battery is officially dead and will seldom revive from that point. Hence the advice from a lot of people to disconnect the battery when charging, this is a pre ECU engine so no problems. as the engine battery was the first to show 9v the short does not lie in the habitation it is a base vehicle problem so lights, alarm immobiliser, radio, mice damage to wiring loom. An auto electrician will remove all fuses and replace one at a time checking for a power drain. Until the correct circuit is found. completely removing both batteries and charging them off the vehicle will determine once and fo all if they are goosed or not.

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!! ::bigsmile:

GOOD NEWS!

Having carefully followed your instructions, I disconnected the second battery and left the charger on the first, set onto car mode it read 12.7v

Sounds a lot better doesn't it?

(And yes, the batteries were at different levels to begin with before I went away.)

I'm so happy, presumably the battery isn't knackered and my daughter is cleaning out my fridge.............life doesn't get much better than this in the morning! :thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Pinkie, I know you've got quite a lot on your hands at the moment, but did you manage to get the heating up and running? :Smile:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
12.7 is the charge /surface voltage off of the battery. The true state of the battery will only be seen one hour AFTER the charger is removed. If a lead acid battery do check the electrolyte levels. They may need topping up with distilled water. A low amp/hr battery charger such as the LIDL one will take around 12 hours to fully charge the battery maybe more as it was well discharged in the first place. If it then holds the charge seen after one hour for at least 24hrs then maybe the battery will eventually recover.:thumb:

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Hi Jock,

ERM, no!

We only got home last night and until I can sort out this problem with the battery and hopefully get the mot done, I'm not even going to look at the heating, but will give you a call (with a bit of luck next week!!) to sort that out. (Apart from the fact the van is kind of wedged in my drive at the moment so difficult to get access to the gas supply, I need to move the van forward a bit.) I think it will go in my garage though at a bit of a squeeze, as the previous house owner built a mega-garage with one door for a car and one massive door for a motorhome, not even considering that at the moment, I don't want any more mishaps!!! :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
12.7 is the charge /surface voltage off of the battery. The true state of the battery will only be seen one hour AFTER the charger is removed. If a lead acid battery do check the electrolyte levels. They may need topping up with distilled water. A low amp/hr battery charger such as the LIDL one will take around 12 hours to fully charge the battery maybe more as it was well discharged in the first place. If it then holds the charge seen after one hour for at least 24hrs then maybe the battery will eventually recover.:thumb:

Okay, euphoria well and truly pissed on!!!! :ROFLMAO:

But thanks for the info again Wildman!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Okay, euphoria well and truly pissed on!!!! :ROFLMAO:
!

And you don't have the best charger to rescue a battery. Fine for charging, I have one.

But you can get bigger chargers that push more amps into a battery to improve their performance.

Ask your sparks when he comes.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Hi Jock,

ERM, no!

We only got home last night and until I can sort out this problem with the battery and hopefully get the mot done, [HI]I'm not even going to look at the heating, but will give you a call (with a bit of luck next week!!) to sort that out.[/HI] (Apart from the fact the van is kind of wedged in my drive at the moment so difficult to get access to the gas supply, I need to move the van forward a bit.) I think it will go in my garage though at a bit of a squeeze, as the previous house owner built a mega-garage with one door for a car and one massive door for a motorhome, not even considering that at the moment, I don't want any more mishaps!!! :ROFLMAO:
Sorry, Pinkie, I didn't realise you only just got back from Italy. :Blush:

Yep, no problems, and no rush. :thumb:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Sorry, Pinkie, I didn't realise you only just got back from Italy. :Blush:

Yep, no problems, and no rush. :thumb:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

AND ANOTHER THING YOU TWO.....................my beautiful 11 year old daughter is rather perturbed about what you two might be getting up to "under the covers"................................

I say "live and let live Poppy, live and let live", but then I'm deaf, so if you parked alongside, you wouldn't keep me awake!!!! :ROFLMAO:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
AND ANOTHER THING YOU TWO.....................my beautiful 11 year old daughter is rather perturbed about what you two might be getting up to "under the covers"................................

I say "live and let live Poppy, live and let live", but then I'm deaf, so if you parked alongside, you wouldn't keep me awake!!!! :ROFLMAO:
Please pass on to your Poppy, that although first impressions can be lasting, looks can also be deceiving. :winky:
It all depends on one's interpretation, however, none of us are ever too old for a kiss and a cuddle now and then. :ROFLMAO:

Cheers for now,

Jock & Rita. :Smile:

OP
OP
pinkie

pinkie

Free Member
Apr 23, 2013
Angus
Funster No
MH
Hymer B555 Auto
Exp
Good News!!!

The auto-electrician corrected me in thinking that the second battery was the habitation battery, in fact it is the engine one. This battery didn't discharge quite so much as the first, so pointing to a habitation problem. Hoorah!

He also tested the whatshisname (done a blank on what the thing's called, that makes the battery recharge!!) doh! It's working fine, thank goodness!

I have booked in for an mot tomorrow afternoon to get my paperwork sent off to DVLA, and will take the van back to the auto-electrician Monday for him to find out exactly what's going on and also run through with me how everything works.

I am SO relieved! :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back