Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Yes, a very good article. Forget the bit about traction monoblocs being too expensive, 50% over the cost of a leisure battery will get you a good traction battery.

Sterling's charging systems are excellent and work very well on motorhomes as well as boats.:thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Good read. I have a simple question though.... my van is fitted with a Gel leisure battery as standard, it is located under a bench seat . I believe a Gel battery is used because it is located inside the vehicle and does not require a ventilation system. I believe if i was to substitute a lead acid battery it would need to be in a sealed box with an effective ventilation system.

Is that true?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It depends how well ventilated it is.

Ventilation can be to the inside of the van without problems so long as the volume of air can absorb the battery gas whilst keeping the concentrations to a low level.

Ford fit batteries under the seats of the Transit as standard, they have obviously assessed the risk before doing so and have no problems.

Our motorhome has batteries under both cab seats and 2 more in the garage. We have never noted any buildup of odours due to the large volumes in which they are sited. Nor have we had any explosions!::bigsmile:

As long as your battery is adequately vented into a large volume of air, internally or externally, I wouldn't be too paranoid.

HOWEVER, if your battery is inside a locker or under a seat box, a dangerous concentration of hydrogen could build up causing an explosion hazard.:Eeek:

Common sense should prevail here!

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
The article is very informative as you say and the advice of which I have followed for many years, have dealt with Sterling many times in the past especially when building vehicles for the emergency services and local authorities. Sterling Power are good people to deal with and their products are excellent quality.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I've seen this before & yes it's interesting. We have two 110amp "leisure" batteries which we bought at a show three years ago for £50 each when the battery on our previous van died without warning. We swapped them to the "new" van & they have worked well so far but are probably nearing the end of their life, so the question is where can I get the equivelent in traction batteries that will fit in the same space without re-mortgaging the house?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
I've seen this before & yes it's interesting. We have two 110amp "leisure" batteries which we bought at a show three years ago for £50 each when the battery on our previous van died without warning. We swapped them to the "new" van & they have worked well so far but are probably nearing the end of their life, so the question is where can I get the equivelent in traction batteries that will fit in the same space without re-mortgaging the house?

Simples-

Broken Link Removed

Link Removed

There's bound to be something here that'll fit!

I can vouch for the Dynos, very good value for money!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back