mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
When we were in Europe at the weekend out new engine and leisure batteries and the new split charge relay performed perfectly with 2 exceptions

1 I haven't wired the fridge for 12v so obviously that didn't work

2 I fell asleep with the stereo on one night and the engine took a bit longer to fire up

So to the fridge first.. it sort of makes sense to me that the fridge only runs when the engine is running as the split charge relays are designed but would it be better to actually run another relay from the leisure battery instead? It's a very long run of cable from the engine bay to the fridge

For the stereo I want to run it off the leisure battery I think but then I worry about leaving it on by mistake when parked up and draining the battery.. potentially it is parked up for 2 or 3 weeks at a time without me going near it and I presume in that time it could kill the battery. Is there a way I can still use power from the leisure battery but have the stereo turn off with the ignition as it does now?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Our fridge run off the leisure batteries wired that way at the factory.

If you want to run your radio off the leisure battery and then switch off when the ignition goes off you would have to run it from a relay I guess but then it will need the ignition on all the time to work when parked up.

Just take a portable DAB radio with you.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Our fridge run off the leisure batteries wired that way at the factory.

If you want to run your radio off the leisure battery and then switch off when the ignition goes off you would have to run it from a relay I guess but then it will need the ignition on all the time to work when parked up.

Just take a portable DAB radio with you.
The last owner's put in a half decent sound system that works great watching films or listening to tunes from the tablet or phones.. I have dab in the mondeo and last time I was in France couldn't pick anything at all up.

Does your fridge run on 12v with the engine off as well?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The last owner's put in a half decent sound system that works great watching films or listening to tunes from the tablet or phones.. I have dab in the mondeo and last time I was in France couldn't pick anything at all up.

Does your fridge run on 12v with the engine off as well?

The simple answer regarding fridge is NO as it still needs a D+ signal from the alternator, the longer answer is yes it will as I have a Votronic solar controller that will divert spare solar power to run the AES fridge via a S+ terminal but I fitted that, the rest is standard.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
running the fridge off the leisure battery with the ignition off will see a flat battery in no time at all even with solar.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back