bathroom floor cracked (1 Viewer)

brian55

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Hi all can anybody help please.
I have an Autocruise Starfire 2005 we love the van and have had this van 7 yrs it is are 3rd van over 35yrs period.
I now have a problem, most things I do myself so seeking some help on what is the best way to repair or replace a cracked bathroom floor.
Autocruise taken over by swift about 2007 and O'Leary motor homes have some spares available but not any shower trays.
The toilet and shower area are all in one large plastic area but at two different heights there is a lip changing the heights and along this line a 12inch crack has developed.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Mar 31, 2015
WORCESTER
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 660 merc
Exp
SINCE 2012
There’s a couple of things you can do mate, if your confident enough to take it out you could strengthen it from behind useing resin or fibre glass depending on how much room You’ve got.
Or there’s a firm doing re moulding of your old unit, my brother just had is sink done on his sandhurst. It isn’t cheep buts it’s a lot cheaper than changing motor.
I will get number if your interested.
Andy

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
Hi Brian, we have an Autocruise Starspirit 2005 and had the same problem. We used a local guy with Speedcoat and it's brilliant. Not cheap, but guaranteed. He made a really good job and it took all day. If like us you like the van and intend to keep it, it's worth investing i IMHO.

Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
Hi Brian, I had the same problem as you last year and tried to contact the manufacturer of my shower tray direct - only to be told they don't deal with the public! Ended up after fruitless searching at my local dealer to be told that the modern replacements (nearly £230) are even thinner than the original fit and have a limited lifespan. He suggested that they send the original unit to a company that remake the original tray, but in 6mm fibreglass. I went for this option and it cost £210 including delivery. It looked fantastic and fitted perfectly. See if your local dealer has a similar contact, otherwise I'll pass you our dealers number.
I looked into Speedcoat too but was horrified at the price!

Stonie

OP
OP
B

brian55

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Hi thanks for all the advice I contacted spinneys at Knutsford and they did not wish to do a repair on my van or touch the work on the van is to old at 2005 to them.
I then contacted Cheshire caravans at Widnes who gave me a price to put a new tray in and or a repair on the old but said they would not guarantee not breaking the plastic wall panels when removing to fit a new shower tray.
I have ordered a new fibreglass shower tray from caravan panels and I have removed all the wall panels myself and the toilet next is to remove the floor next day may be.
The wall panels had vertical mastic strips three on each panel on the back slow pressure and a hacksaw blade nailed to a piece of wood up the back of the panels to cut the mastic.
The new shower tray cost the same price as a patch to the old tray would have cost.
It is a bit of work but i would like to inspect the floor under the tray keep the van longer and be happy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2017
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
Since 2016
I agree. I felt better knowing that I’d seen under the floor and knew all was well. Make sure you silicone it in well, use a quality anti mouldings type. I was very pleased with the fibreglass alternative, it feels so much more substantial.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
We used a speedcoat operative to repair a crack in the shower tray. It wasnt cheap but has been excellent. I didnt have the option of removing the tray and they did it in situ. It seemed to me that the tray had been fitted before any wall linings so the whole lot would have had to come out and I was not looking forward to the very short hose to the grey water tank.

Mike

OP
OP
B

brian55

Free Member
Feb 27, 2018
Funster No
Hi all the shower walls are all out and the shower tray is out I have cleaned up all the panels and ready for going back in.
Waiting for the new shower tray to arrive.
Replacing all the drain pipes and outlets from shower and sink.
The floor is perfect not a drop of water and the tray was placed on a thick bed of silicone which I cleaned back off and I can do again.

The walls had three strips of mastic sticky grey putty 25mm wide vertically on each panel.

My problem is this: WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST WAY TO STICK THE WALLS BACK.
Using a similar thing means you have to re align back into the right position first time one chance to bein the correct position which would be impossible in a small space and large panels.
I need something that sticks but can be lifted again to position correctly and if it ever had to come out again.
Any help would be appreciated THANKS.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
You will find non setting mastic which is used to bed window frames will do it Caravan dealers should have it and its much cheaper than a sealant
The strips you mention are dead easy to apply of course but I dont find they stick very well if the gap changes.
A very useful flexible glue that I have used for all sorts of non rigid jobs is Stixall but there are others especially the Sikaflex range
Mike

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back