Bat`s................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
when it comes to bats there is no limit to their surveilance methods.
0C6C635E-6C75-41DA-B189-45A5F018A339.jpeg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
seriously @old-mo id get this thread deleted if i was you, bat people can get anything stopped.
not messing about now, I agree. the bat watch groups are fanatical and will block any planning permission applications

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Taken from www.bats.org.uk
Do bats in the UK carry diseases?

The only known zoonotic disease (i.e. one that can be transmitted to humans) that has ever been found in UK bats is called European Bat Lyssavirus (EBLV) – a rabies type virus. The live virus has only been found, to date in 15 bats of one species (the Daubenton’s bat) despite having 17 breeding bat species in the UK and testing over 15,000 individual bats for the virus over the last 20 years. EBLV is transmitted through a bite or a scratch or from a bat’s saliva coming into contact with your mucous membranes (your eyes, mouth or nose). Therefore there is no risk to the public if you do not handle bats. If you need to handle a bat (i.e. if it is grounded/injured) wear gloves to protect from any potential risk.

No other zoonotic diseases have been found in UK bats

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Taken from www.bats.org.uk
Do bats in the UK carry diseases?

The only known zoonotic disease (i.e. one that can be transmitted to humans) that has ever been found in UK bats is called European Bat Lyssavirus (EBLV) – a rabies type virus. The live virus has only been found, to date in 15 bats of one species (the Daubenton’s bat) despite having 17 breeding bat species in the UK and testing over 15,000 individual bats for the virus over the last 20 years. EBLV is transmitted through a bite or a scratch or from a bat’s saliva coming into contact with your mucous membranes (your eyes, mouth or nose). Therefore there is no risk to the public if you do not handle bats. If you need to handle a bat (i.e. if it is grounded/injured) wear gloves to protect from any potential risk.

No other zoonotic diseases have been found in UK bats

APPARENTLY..It depends on the type of bat? When we had our little chappy in the garage we contacted the Bat brigade who said that as long as they are Pipistrelle bats...it was ok?? Would not know to be honest?
Kev did has was told and it flew away later in the evening. We do get them occasionally flying around the yard here at ST Giles Church.
They come in sometimes to rest and "hang out" (Not a joke honestly) ...they then move on.
I must admit ..kev was on a mission to find a mouse or two because of the droppings on the window cill. We caught the little one on cctv flying up under the tiling at the front of the house. After we let the little bat go..it stopped? Little bugger!

Regards Carolyn

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Whatever you do Mo, don't mention the buggers to your estate agent or possible purchasers. :eek:

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Saw bats out feeding last night. Usually only see them on warm summer evenings, hoovering up the insects -- never seen them out in February before. I suppose that means there must be enough insects around at the moment to make it worthwhile. Apparently we have pipistrelles and Daubenton's around here; these looked bigger than pipistrelles.

We were once staying in a remote Scottish cottage, about eight miles from the nearest settlement. One night we were sitting in front of the open fire watching a horror film. Suddenly something shot out from the fire across the room towards the sofa. To say we were startled would be an understatement!

It was a bat that presumably had flown down the chimney and got its backside singed.

Then came the fun of chasing the distressed animal around the room trying to catch it in a cardboard box. And I had heard they could potentially carry rabies, so was slightly perturbed myself. Got it in the end and released it into the night.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
seriously @old-mo id get this thread deleted if i was you, bat people can get anything stopped.

Just been outside to see what Daisy is barking and jumping around at...

And there is half a dozen of them flitting around... :Eeek:

Seen them down the bottom of the field before.... I think they must hang out in the barn in next doors field field..

So nowt to do with me or my property.. (y) :)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I will have to bring some up to Durham when we move up there ... :winky: :giggler:

:D2No need to, we live in England's last wilderness it is referred to, Adders in the garden up here we get, now I could have started a thread about that and some people would be saying "Vermin, kill em"

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
A lot of scaremongering that is.

''There has only been 1 recorded case of someone catching rabies from a bat in the UK'' and that case was from someone who handled bats all the time.

When we had our jabs for S A the nurse told us they advice all those working with bats to have the Rabies Jab.

Personally I would err on the side of caution and not come into contact with them if I didn't have to.

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Bats are beautiful creatures that eat nasty bugs - you are lucky to have them Mr Mo. We are living in a world where we need to protect animals- some species of bats are so rare they have protected status, long eared bats for one. We had to have a survey as there are some in the vicinity before we extended house, have lots of pipistrell ones here and it is very soothing to see them swooping about at dusk.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki
When we stayed there last year and went for a walk with the grandkids. Found a dead bat almost outside the gate. So you certainly have some around there.
Maybe that was one he squished earlier...:whistle:
They any good on the bbq :whistle:
I don't think bats know how to cook...:)
Bet came out of his wallet:giggler::giggler:
Yes….it was after his moths...

I found one on the ramp of my horse lorry when we got to a show, the poor thing must have been inside because I didn't see it when I loaded the ponies on. I just left it alone & when I was next at the lorry it had gone.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
@old-mo you need to read the relevant part of the study below relating to your place

H1........... That is where the barn is I spoke of...

So still leaves me in the clear..... (At the moment... :))

I have put notices up all round my property...

"Private Property, Keep Out".. Trespassers will be shot.. :giggler:

So that should cover me... :doh:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Glad you sorted the bat issue. We have them round here and have recently been considering getting a bat box to repay them for all the bugs they eat for us.

Badgers are bad .....

But for sheer terrorism .... moles.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
IF that’s the case, why are we all pi....ing about sorting out Rabies protection with our dogs!?!?

I guess because you are more likely to get bitten by a dog than a bat.

Unless you work with bats as your job.

I’m just the messenger relaying what I was told by a practice nurse that obviously gets her info via the NHS.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back