Bastogne stop (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hello Funsters

For those of you who have visited/travelled through Bastogne, do you have any recommendations for a stop off?
I’m planning on travelling through later this summer and interested in visiting a site related to the Battle of the Bulge.
I’ll only have a couple of hours and won’t be overnighting.
I’ve seen a few museums on Google but don’t think I’ll get to see it all in the time I’ve got.
Have you any recommendations from personal experience?
Thanks!

May 24, 2014
North Devon
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
Since 2013
The main and possibly the best museum is the Bastogne War Museum, Colline du Mardasson 5, 6600 Bastenaken, Belgium. You will find all that you need to know about that battle from this excellent site.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
A second vote for the Bastogne War Museum which has the star shaped memorial next door. The museum was renovated a couple of years ago and has a number of immersive scenes told by different viewpoints throughout the museum. Very very good.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
There’s a designated motorhome parking place near the centre of Bastogne at Place du Général Patton on Avenue Albert ler, check it out on google maps, we was there a few weeks ago (just to top up on groceries and fresh bread), all free, no bother. As above the “Mardasson Memorial” is worth a look, just 5 mins out of town on the N30/N874?

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
There’s a designated motorhome parking place near the centre of Bastogne at Place du Général Patton on Avenue Albert ler, check it out on google maps, we was there a few weeks ago (just to top up on groceries and fresh bread), all free, no bother. As above the “Mardasson Memorial” is worth a look, just 5 mins out of town on the N30/N874?
Thanks for this - will definitely be stopping off there then for a few hours.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
There's the old army barracks in Bastogne, where at certain times of the day you can get a free guided tour by an English speaking very knowledgeable guide.

This is where the US army were based.

There's also lots of tanks, weapons, mockups etc all to do with the battle.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Visited Bastogne today and found that the Aire on Avenue Albert Ler is closed at the moment due to a large fun fair set up on the whole car park.
I managed to find a parking spot on a side street whilst I visited the 101 Airborne Museum which was good.
Drove out to the Bastogne war museum and Star shaped monument. Went to the top for the view on the monument but ran out of time for the museum.
The car park was packed and plenty of cars parked as if they’d dumped them making it very challenging to negotiate the car park.
We’ve now moved on to Luxembourg where it’s finally stopped raining, so all well.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Visited Bastogne today and found that the Aire on Avenue Albert Ler is closed at the moment due to a large fun fair set up on the whole car park.

Sod’s law that is GAVLAD, at least you managed to get to Mardasson, did you go up to the top of the star? You can go up top and walk along each of the legs?

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Sod’s law that is GAVLAD, at least you managed to get to Mardasson, did you go up to the top of the star? You can go up top and walk along each of the legs?
I know, but we managed to find somewhere to park.
Yes, great views from there.
I wish I’d visited the Bastogne war museum instead of the 101 museum but time put paid to it.
Maybe next time and I’ll fit the barracks in as well.

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No
Nutts,
As the American OIC reply to the german flag of truce replied.An excellent stop off we did it on the way back from Lake Guarda and found the whole area to be full of stuff to see.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back