Base vehicles - Fiats ?? (1 Viewer)

Motoberg

Free Member
Jul 25, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
Chewing through many threads I'm getting the feeling that Fiats are the devils spawn !
Any reason why ? are there good Fiatsmodels/Years & Bad Fiat models/Years or do they all suck ?
The reason I ask is many of the M/Hs that interior wise fit my requirements all seem to be Fiat based ?

Thanks

Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
6 years and 20 years as a tugger
Chewing through many threads I'm getting the feeling that Fiats are the devils spawn !
Any reason why ? are there good Fiatsmodels/Years & Bad Fiat models/Years or do they all suck ?
The reason I ask is many of the M/Hs that interior wise fit my requirements all seem to be Fiat based ?

Thanks

Hi
Regarding the Fiat I'm on my 2nd Fiat base mh and find them Excellent there was a problem with water ingress in the engine compartment but this was fixed on a recall (A cover was placed over the engine) Also there was a problem with reverse gear (Judder) but i have not experienced the fault with what Ive herd it seems to be on Smaller engine not the 3lt version that i have Ive covered some 15,000 miles on this 08 model and have had no problems i have also herd on other forums problems with Merc and other based models the thing you have to remember is that the vast maj of m.h out there are Swift and are Fiat based so you will here the odd bad report i can only give my oppinion and that of the Emergency Services who use the Fiat as there prefered model The orginisation that i worked for used Merc vech and had nothing but problems and put them of there fleet list i would suggest that you give mh a full test drive and if its the latest model make sure it has had all the recall work done

Bill:Cool::Cool:

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I know when we purchased our last motorhome we avoided anything Fiat, as at that time various forums I visit were full of problems posted by Fiat owners on reversing judder and clutch problems and problems with speed of reverse, too fast needing the clutch slipping, which caused it to overheat.

It does seem to have quietened down of late but smaller engined models do still seem to have problems, at times with the 3ltr Auto seeming the best, but only time will tell.

Don't know what year you are going for but prior to the introduction of this version, they were a good buy, I think prior to 2006.

As Bill says many seem OK but if you get a duff one it is pot luck if it is ever cured completely.

I know all makes have duff ones at times but Fiat did in my opinion not come out of this well as for ages the fault was blamed on the drivers and only pressure exerted via forums seemed to move them.

Even now information re mods done to new vans is not easily obtainable

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Not at all really, up to 06 the fiat was and Is (mines an 06) a fantastic workhorse.

Certainly not the devils spawn. If you really trawl the threads you will see plenty of negativity about all makes of coach built as well as base vans. I would not hesitate to buy another fiat based van.

Upvote 0

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We are on our 3rd, a 2ltr and two 2.3's. The latest incarnation the x250 is superb. If you talk to the AA or RAC they get called out to Fiat vans less than any other make. :thumb:

Upvote 0
Aug 25, 2009
Newhey
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
I've had both models. The only difference is that the new model is much quieter and a lot more powerful than the old one. They were both 2.3's manuals, an 06 and an 07. I've heard of juddergate and maybe I'm lucky but I reverse mine uphill into my drive every time it returns without any problems.::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Not at all really, up to 06 the fiat was and Is (mines an 06) a fantastic workhorse.

Certainly not the devils spawn. If you really trawl the threads you will see plenty of negativity about all makes of coach built as well as base vans. I would not hesitate to buy another fiat based van.

Well said on my 2nd Fiat the best by far

Bill

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Pete and I have said this before and we'll say it again - we did have the judder problem. By the time we got the van (August 09) the people who had had the terrible probs when Fiat (and Peugeot too, let's not forget that they were the same!) were being awkward and refusing to admit it - had managed to get both of em to sort it out and provide a fix. We are exceedingly grateful to them for that.

We used it for 4000 miles last year and told Fiat Customer Services - very politely - early this year and they got the local Fiat garage to have it in and fix it. They did that.

Since then we've been to France another twice and UK lots of places - thousands more miles on the clock - and off to France again in August.
So if you get one that has the prob and hasn't been fixed, Fiat will fix it.

So it really shouldn't put you off, not off the 2.3 anyway, in our opinion.

Oh - PS, LOL - ours wasn't too absolutely unbearable (although it made me cringe) on tarmac etc - but on campsite grass - esp damp grass ....Aaaaarrrrgghhhhh !!!

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Thank you Sedge for the words of someone who experienced the problem first hand.

I know of many others, and nothing would get me to spend my money on any later Fiat, especially if out of warranty, for quite a few years yet. I would sooner give up motorhoming.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We had the judder, now fixed and have done 16,000 miles over the last two years. They are excellent, especially concerning fuel consumption, we regularly get over 31 mpg. I can thorough recommend Fiat and would not hesitate to buy another.

Rgds
Bill
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm on my 3rd fiat ducato base.
the first was a 2004 2.3-JTD......then a 1999 2.5-TDI and the current one is a 2001 2.8-TDI.

never had a problem with any of them except the current one has a temperamental fuel gauge and in crosswinds the door tops are a little 'flappy' but that the same over the range.

first time MOT pass with no advisories on any of them.

if they really were as bad as some say then the various convertors wouldnt buy them by the hundreds.

Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
Thank you Sedge for the words of someone who experienced the problem first hand.

I know of many others, and nothing would get me to spend my money on any later Fiat, especially if out of warranty, for quite a few years yet. I would sooner give up motorhoming.

Dave :thumb::thumb:[/

Maybe you should. You condem Fiat based on what have you herd as the other posts have said I have nothing but praise for Fiat and the M.H i have and owned 2 Fiat based Models and have nothing but praise. Also if i had to buy a M.H on the basis of other forums i would still have the tent and that includes most Models

BILL

Upvote 0

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
I did own pre 2006 Fiats 3 of them all fine, took a test drive in the new version experienced the judder while on test drive, left well alone.

Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2010
Airdrie Scotland
Funster No
Exp
I did own pre 2006 Fiats 3 of them all fine, took a test drive in the new version experienced the judder while on test drive, left well alone.

Good like you i tested most models as you do, Fiat hands down

Bill End

Upvote 0

FBA

Free Member
Jul 23, 2010
Funster No
I also purchased the 2.3 from new (2007), encountered the judder (bad, but I coped) the vehicle itself was so impressive my next purchase I decided to go for another fiat (2008) reason for the change of vehicle was not the judder which was admitted by fiat and fixes were being offered but due to the fact that the 2.3 was my first van and the layout didnt suit (I was always told that most get it wrong on their first :) I was one of them) the second fiat again New was a 2008 3ltr, all I can say is fantastic,,,, I also drive an audi A3 quattro and a Merc vito, the 3Ltr fiat is by far the most enjoyable to drive, economic, and I certainly would look first at another fiat if I was ever changing.

Yes there was a Judder problem in the 2.3 but nothing in the 3ltr, considering the fact that by now the majority have had the "fix" I dont see any reason why you shouldnt have the fiat as an option.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well we'd certainly get another, if it hadn't been fixed but needed it, Fiat would fix it, I can't see the prob myself? - we could have reported the prob last year but didn't actually report it till we knew we wouldn't be wanting to use it for a little while!!

By the way - I can make my car do it if I rev it far too hard in any gear ...... just makes a worse noise in reverse, I think?

Upvote 0

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
What are the older Fiats like? In particular the 2.8jtd??
Anything to look out for?

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi
Regarding the Fiat I'm on my 2nd Fiat base mh and find them Excellent there was a problem with water ingress in the engine compartment but this was fixed on a recall (A cover was placed over the engine) Also there was a problem with reverse gear (Judder) but i have not experienced the fault with what Ive herd it seems to be on Smaller engine not the 3lt version that i have Ive covered some 15,000 miles on this 08 model and have had no problems i have also herd on other forums problems with Merc and other based models the thing you have to remember is that the vast maj of m.h out there are Swift and are Fiat based so you will here the odd bad report i can only give my oppinion and that of the Emergency Services who use the Fiat as there prefered model The orginisation that i worked for used Merc vech and had nothing but problems and put them of there fleet list i would suggest that you give mh a full test drive and if its the latest model make sure it has had all the recall work done

Bill:Cool::Cool:

Bill I totaly agree with you....mine is fine......and a pleasure to drive, very quick, and good mpg.

Would I buy another YES....
The one I have is late 2008 year...I will be looking at buying another new motorhome in September ....Fiat will be the base I will be looking at first be it A class or coachbuilt

Mel :thumb:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
What are the older Fiats like? In particular the 2.8jtd??
Anything to look out for?

Ours is a 2.8jtd. 2006.
We've had no problems at all since we bought it. ( touch wood:Doh:) Its very good with the fuel , on a recent trip to the I.O.W we used so much less than our fellow caravaner friends , all 12 of them.
We felt quite smug , as they all , bar 1 couple think MH's are the devils spawn and wouldn't have one given,
yeah right .....
Mizzy is smooth to drive , handles any hill we've been up , and down , so far. The passenger door had a bit of a whistle on it , when on the motorway at first. But was soon sorted by moving the door plate thingy.
Bev

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back