Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Base Vehicle - Most motorhomes are built on an existing vehicle. This is usually either a panel van or a chassis cab – The most common in the UK is the Fiat but Ford, Mercedes, Peugeot, Renault and Volkswagen are all used to some extent.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think if you have no particular preference on chassis it comes down to, you see a van you like and it's the layout you want so unless there is something specific about the chassis that you don't like, for example steering wheel on the wrong side wrong gearbox or FWD vs RWD then you just go for it, we started from a different point in that I knew that I wanted a RWD more commercial chassis so we looked at vans that were on the IVECO chassis.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Twice we chose the converter and both were on Ducato base.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Hello.
Where can I get data on reliability and running costs to decide which base model to go for? We know the rough layout we want as we've had caravans before, but don't really know how to compare base models?
If new it's a simple answer for me, Ford Transit. Better engines, better chassis, better driving experience.

The new Series 8 Fiat Ducato's aren't very good, it's mostly a facelift rather than new design. The new Multijet III engine is poor, aged chassis and now to reduce costs they're fitting only twin leaf springs and an anti roll bar which nearly triples the cost of chassis up plating.

The PSA twins, Peugeot Boxer & Citroen Relay, have engine issues and are built on the same chassis as the Fiat.

The front wheel drive Mercedes is basically a rebadged Renault Master so essentially you're being fleeced for a premium badge.

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
If new it's a simple answer for me, Ford Transit. Better engines, better chassis, better driving experience.

The new Series 8 Fiat Ducato's aren't very good, it's mostly a facelift rather than new design. The new Multijet III engine is poor, aged chassis and now to reduce costs they're fitting only twin leaf springs and an anti roll bar which nearly triples the cost of chassis up plating.

The PSA twins, Peugeot Boxer & Citroen Relay, have engine issues and are built on the same chassis as the Fiat.

The front wheel drive Mercedes is basically a rebadged Renault Master so essentially you're being fleeced for a premium badge.
The VW/MAN's seem to be fairly well regarded although always surprise at how low the MPG many doing van conversions are getting. Probably due in part to robust/ie heavy installations

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
The VW/MAN's seem to be fairly well regarded although always surprise at how low the MPG many doing van conversions are getting. Probably due in part to robust/ie heavy installations
Fiat are popular because they can supply a very minimal chassis, perfect for motorhome conversion .

The low MPG on all modern vans is the amount of restriction they have had fit to the engines to achieve Euro 6 emission rules -
Its not the weight - They have choked them to death.

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Fiat are popular because they can supply a very minimal chassis, perfect for motorhome conversion .

The low MPG on all modern vans is the amount of restriction they have had fit to the engines to achieve Euro 6 emission rules -
Its not the weight - They have choked them to death.
Yes understand all the restrictions but when I was considering doing my own van conversion and researching the forums, I was surprised at the low mpg they were getting with large panel van conversions like the MAN's, compared to my experience with 3 large coach builts i.e 22-24mpg compared to high 30's

Oct 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
PVC

The Ford chassis also has the advantage it can be upgraded to 4200kg simply as a paper exercise.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
The Ford chassis also has the advantage it can be upgraded to 4200kg simply as a paper exercise.
That's right, on the Auto Trail F Line it reduces the towing capacity to 500KG. Many members of our owners group have done this.

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
Hve now experienced Peugeot Boxer, Fiat Ducato and now Ford Transit, the Ford is a clear winner for driveability and comfort

May 17, 2022
Funster No
MH
Trigano
Base Vehicle - Most motorhomes are built on an existing vehicle. This is usually either a panel van or a chassis cab – The most common in the UK is the Fiat but Ford, Mercedes, Peugeot, Renault and Volkswagen are all used to some extent.
I have a panel van 2006 on a fiat engine. I need a new fuel pump but my mechanic is telling me he cannot get hold of one. Anyone know where I could get this one refurbished please?

Nov 23, 2008
Funster No

Never have another Ford after they havnt corrected security weakness they dont call en Ford Takeways without reason

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Never have another Ford after they havnt corrected security weakness they dont call en Ford Takeways without reason
Sorry , that statement is very outdated. The MK8 facelift is as secure as any base vehicle can be.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
I don’t know about better engines. Plenty with injector problems and issues due to wet timing belts.
The injector issue was caused by Piezo, this was sorted back in 2021 and was a global problem across many marques not just the Transit. All painlessly replaced without question under warranty.
The wet belt issue is anecdotal and caused by non Ford garages servicing them in the same way as the older Duratec engine giving them an engine flush. Ford refuse to release the service software for the Ecoblue engine meaning services are exclusive to their own franchises.

All engines have problems. PSA have compression issues, the Multijet III has DPF issues compounded by Stellantis struggling to support their service network due to poor parts provision.
Taking this all into consideration I'll opt for the Ford every time A new rather than revised engine offering more torque & better economy, a cheaper base vehicle with more driver conveniences as standard, more up to date moho specific chassis, cheaper service costs, cheaper up plating costs.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I don’t know about better engines. Plenty with injector problems and issues due to wet timing belts.
& if you go on the transit forum you'll have nightmares:giggle:
All painlessly replaced without question under warranty.
& those who didn't get it done under warranty struggled to get ford to contribute whilst others had the whole lot done foc? It should have been a complete recall.
The wet belt issue is anecdotal and caused by non Ford garages servicing them in the same way as the older Duratec engine giving them an engine flush.
& dozens on the forum who have full ford service histories losing brakes due to the belt break up & the engine destroying itself & just out of warranty ? Disaster of an idea how anyone can think a belt running in oil is a replacement for a chain. I spent some hours last night reading various horror stories.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
There do seem to be lots of folks saying the MPG of the new Crafter/TGE is poor but when you look at the vehicles it seems to be the 'off road brigade' and those with a heavy right foot.
Give us a year or so with the LWB MAN TGE and I will be able to provide some real world MPG figures.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
& if you go on the transit forum you'll have nightmares:giggle:

& those who didn't get it done under warranty struggled to get ford to contribute whilst others had the whole lot done foc? It should have been a complete recall.

& dozens on the forum who have full ford service histories losing brakes due to the belt break up & the engine destroying itself & just out of warranty ? Disaster of an idea how anyone can think a belt running in oil is a replacement for a chain. I spent some hours last night reading various horror stories.
Why wouldn't they have it done under warranty? All owners effected were given the heads up by phone, post, email and the Ford app. Unless you had your head in the sand the procedure was easy.

Dozens? That's not too bad considering Ford sell around 1 million Transits in the UK year on year.

Gus, of course vehicle forums are full of nightmare stories, that's what they're for. No one ever posts anything positive on them regardless of make.
If it's such a poor vehicle it looks like there's going to be a lot of really disappointed motorhome owners out there in the coming years as the larger coachbuilding groups are all moving away from Stellantis and switching to Ford, MAN & Merc'

The Thor/Hymer Group especially now they've signed an 8 year partnership deal with Ford which includes exclusive use of their 5 tonne chassis with RWD & 10 Speed auto box.

Roller Team have now switched their best selling Auto Roller range to Ford, Their T Line is next then both their Pegaso and sister company's Mobilvetta K Yacht will do the same. Chausson won't build their flagship model on anything else.

Small conversions on the Ford Custom now outweigh the VW T6.

Feb 16, 2020
KT15.
Funster No
MH
Sunlight. T66. 2019.
Exp
Absolute beginners.
New Dethleff also on Ford now.
Whether that's supply issues, or by design 🤷‍♂️ Quite a dark livery inside then cab.
Mike.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Our Mercedes lwb has the rear wheel drive, 7 speed full auto, 163bhp combo, fabulous to drive, 4t chassis, full rear air suspension. We average 27mpg, can be up to 32 if I have a lighter right foot but there are always places to get to! Much prefer it to our previous Fiats.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
I have a panel van 2006 on a fiat engine. I need a new fuel pump but my mechanic is telling me he cannot get hold of one. Anyone know where I could get this one refurbished please?
Plenty recyclers online (new name for scrappy) have you tried ebay? Seems to be plenty

Jun 19, 2018
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria 600 DT
Exp
Having purchased various vans for the business and new my experience as follows
Ford (and our current vehicle) is poor its been in so many times with ad blue faults and engine management faults that we received compensation for it being off the road.
Mercedes Sprinters x2 and they were worse than the ford for reoccurring engine management errors.
By far the best was the Fiat Ducato which apart from the speedo needing a reset was super reliable.
Tony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back