Base vehicle warranty. Check yours. (1 Viewer)

The DATeam

Free Member
Nov 2, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Hi to all of you with a continental motorhome, check your base vehicle warranty. Our Motorhome is a Rapido built on a Mercedes chassis. It is right hand drive and was purchased new from a Rapido dealer. It was first registered in the UK, to us. Being two years old it had it's first service at a Mercedes Benz Commercial dealer the other week. When it came to doing the paper work the Dealer could not find our vehicle on the Mercedes Benz UK database. In the end the Dealer had to set the vehicle details up manually. This week I had a courtesy call from the Dealer. They could not find our vehicle on the Mercedes Benz UK database as technically it was not a UK vehicle, it was missing two digits on the Mercedes Benz vehicle identifying code. What Mercedes Benz believe is, Rapido purchased a right hand drive Mercedes Benz chassis direct from Mercedes Benz. In Mercedes Benz eyes this is then a European vehicle as it was purchased in Europe. Rapido, then, exported the completed motorhome to the UK. As the Motorhome was imported direct in to the UK it did not go through Mercedes Benz UK, and is therefore is a European purchased Mercedes Benz (although it is not an import for tax, insurance, etc. purposes). The bottom line to all of this, European Mercedes Benz's have two years warranty and UK Mercedes Benz's have three years warranty. You might want to check your base vehicle warranty, it might effect Fiat and the others, as well as Mercedes Benz.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Both our motorhome's have been on a fiat chassis. I do know from personal experience that a call to Fiat customer services will result in them starting the warranty period from when you bought the motorhome and not from the date it was manufactured.

OP
OP
The DATeam

The DATeam

Free Member
Nov 2, 2015
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Yes, our warranty starts from the date the vehicle was first registered in the UK. It's the length of the warranty period, three years UK, two years European.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
If I've picked you up right then it's the same with the chausson...
My mk 7 transit van had a 3 yr warranty or 100000 miles..
The chausson on the Ford base I'm about to get comes with a 2 yr warranty. ..That's both the Ford vehicle and chausson build..
Mentioned it to the dealer and he said its because it was converted and coming from France. ..
Don't understand the difference,as both base vehicles came from Turkey anyway and why there should only be a 2 yr Warranty on the Ford based motor home just because it is seen as European. .
Andy

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Our Hymer Exsis i is imported and only as two years warranty.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
According to the Fiat website, the warranty is 24 months on the base vehicle, with a 36 month paint warranty and an 8 year perforation warranty.

http://www.mopar.eu/camper/en/warranty-servicing

Mine was registered in Germany in November 2013 and registered in the UK in July 2014. The Fiat system shows the warranty valid for two years from November 2013... and there was no problems when it had an oil leak on the turbo oil feed pipe. In fact, they replaced the whole turbo under warranty without any arguments.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
There's nothing unusual about this, most, if not all, European built motorhomes come with a 2 year warranty and UK built ones are usually 3 years. This has been the case with all the ones we've had have followed this 'rule': Swift, Autocruise = 3 years, Chausson, Rimor, Rapido = 2 years. We do benefit though from one thing - the equipment in European built and registered MHs sometimes only have a 1 year warranty on such as Truma equipment etc, whereas we get at least 2 years - we found this out when we had a problem with the Truma in our Autocruise which was fixed in Germany, it was over a year old and the chap thought we'd have to pay and was extremely surprised when he found out from his computer system that we didn't have to!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If I've picked you up right then it's the same with the chausson...
My mk 7 transit van had a 3 yr warranty or 100000 miles..
The chausson on the Ford base I'm about to get comes with a 2 yr warranty. ..That's both the Ford vehicle and chausson build..
Mentioned it to the dealer and he said its because it was converted and coming from France. ..
Don't understand the difference,as both base vehicles came from Turkey anyway and why there should only be a 2 yr Warranty on the Ford based motor home just because it is seen as European. .
Andy
We had to do the phoning Ford thing to get ours on the UK Ford dealers system you might find you then get 3 years!! . Also with ford at present if you have an annual service they extend the european breakdown cover free for another year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back