Barriers on car parks in skeg (1 Viewer)

Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Barriers have gone up on all main car parks in Skeg,I'm not sure how it will be implemented as the car park in the photo has the motor home parking behind it
Alan image.jpgimage.jpg

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Bearing in mind this my nearest piece of sandy coast is it any surprise that I won't be spending any time or money in Skegness? .

Feckless councillors overseeing a shambles for more years than you would think possible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not narrow minded or feckless. This is a direct result of traveller incursions in the last two years which forced closure of the car parks and have cost the taxpayers of East Lindsey council money to resolve - money which could have been spent on real services. In addition, problems were caused for both residents and visitors.

As mentioned in Broken Link Removed, this morning, there are half a dozen car/coach parks in East Lindsay district (including one in Skegness) where motorhomes may be parked, in addition to on street parking.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Not really reckless or narrow minded councils.
This is the end result of motorhomers taking the Mickey, regarding these parks as free camp sites and the dunes as chemical toilet dumps.
Abuse of these car parks, which deprives others of a proper intended use, has brought this on as a last resort.
They are car parks, not free camp sites.
A classic case of the few spoiling it for the many.

It generally isn't the case that local businesses lose out by not having motorhomes parking there.
Many take all they need with them, a cheap holiday is the whole point of freeloading.
Car owners and day trippers spend money, too.
Possibly more so where chippies, cafes etc. are concerned.

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
the answer is to give the police greater powers to move illegal travellers on to traveller sites (that all councils presumably have to provide) not penalise genuine motorhome users.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Roger, the problem isn't just travellers as such.
It is genuine motorhome users, but freeloading ones who want something for nothing with local council tax payers ( like me) paying for cleaning up the mess of rubbish, grey and black water dumping.
Rather than being anything into the area in terms of income, they put spenders off visiting.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
the answer is to give the police greater powers to move illegal travellers on to traveller sites (that all councils presumably have to provide) not penalise genuine motorhome users.
It is genuine motorhome users, but freeloading ones who want something for nothing with local council tax payers ( like me) paying for cleaning up the mess of rubbish, grey and black water dumping.
Rather than being anything into the area in terms of income, they put spenders off visiting.
There are actually two related problems.
1. Huttoft and the other coastal parks. Lincolnshire County Council have suffered problems from individual motorhomers and others ignoring no camping regulations.
2. Skegness car parks. East Lindsey District Council have suffered incursions from groups of travellers who think it is OK to camp where they like for weddings and the like.

Both cause problems and expense for residents and deter visitors.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time

Welcome to Devon &Cornwall!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Rodger. The council are not required to provide traveller sites. This was the case in the 1960s then it was removed it was later replaced 1980s and then removed again. There are authorities with none or only one or two pitches. Councils do not provide sites for itinerant travellers, they want to settle the traveller population into sites and remove their lifestyle. This has been made worse by travellers from the Irish Republic and the continent adding to the indigenous itinerant population roaming the UK.

Another point is that a large number of those invading property, have fixed sites or even houses so are not really itinerant. They are tourists, but claim to have the right to follow the old ways.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Rodger. The council are not required to provide traveller sites. This was the case in the 1960s then it was removed it was later replaced 1980s and then removed again. There are authorities with none or only one or two pitches. Councils do not provide sites for itinerant travellers, they want to settle the traveller population into sites and remove their lifestyle. This has been made worse by travellers from the Irish Republic and the continent adding to the indigenous itinerant population roaming the UK.

Another point is that a large number of those invading property, have fixed sites or even houses so are not really itinerant. They are tourists, but claim to have the right to follow the old ways.
Not quite so John.
Housing Act 2004 S225(1) - Every local housing authority must, when undertaking a review of housing needs in their district under section 8 of the Housing Act 1985 (c. 68), carry out an assessment of the accommodation needs of gypsies and travellers residing in or resorting to their district.
Together with Planning Circular 01/2006, Planning for Gypsy and Traveller Caravan Sites (since updated by the ‘National Planning Policy Framework’ in 2012), the 2004 Act put in place a framework which means every local authority has to identify land for the sites that are needed in its area.
Some sites are residential only but some include transit facilities as well (e.g. Redcar & Cleveland).

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
John I could say exactly the same about all of the tourist who flood into the west country every year making our water rates etc the highest in the country. I pay top dollar here tourist don't, hence I pay my way and am NOT A BLOODY FREELOADER I have always wild parked and never been irresponsible about black or grey waste let alone rubbish. I do find the constant belittling of wilders such as myself to be a little wearing. I do not want to park surrounded by screaming kids on a site or have to put up with blaring Metalica (good luck to those who do). How I motorhome is my choice. Please don't keep knocking it, I don't knock the way you choose to use your MH.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Not narrow minded or feckless. This is a direct result of traveller incursions in the last two years which forced closure of the car parks and have cost the taxpayers of East Lindsey council money to resolve - money which could have been spent on real services. In addition, problems were caused for both residents and visitors.

As mentioned in Broken Link Removed, this morning, there are half a dozen car/coach parks in East Lindsay district (including one in Skegness) where motorhomes may be parked, in addition to on street parking.

So crack down on the culprits don't take the easy way out like they always do.

& also to allow the immediate destruction of all & any without number plates.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Spent a week at North Shore caravan site last August and cycled in to watch the bowls finals every day . We had the misfortune to witness a large group of campers taking over the carpark at the end of the prom all with newish motorhomes and many with Irish accents , there were children running amok , rubbish everywhere , loud music , toilet tanks emptied in the bushes and they hadn,t even paid the parking charge . We witnessed the ejection and clean up by the council and the erection of barriers and private security staff all paid by the council.
It must be very difficult for local residents to differentiate between responsible motorhomers and these freeloading SCUM

OP
OP
Alan
Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
The out of town car parks are a different entity they've been abused by a few motorhomers and barriers were put up and overnightparking stopped, this is now being enforced by a security company and barriers.
Town car parks have allways been pay and lots of motorhomes park up for the day contributing to East Lindsey's coffers, saying that they can park on streets is a load of rubbish,most of the streets are limited to 30 mins and in the season you'd have a struggle to park a mini.The only Parking I can think of that is easy to park for a motorhome is tescos 3 hours and lidl 1 :1/2 hours, I believe the bus station is £15 a day but I would have to check on that
image.jpg

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The out of town car parks are a different entity they've been abused by a few motorhomers and barriers were put up and overnightparking stopped, this is now being enforced by a security company and barriers.
Town car parks have allways been pay and lots of motorhomes park up for the day contributing to East Lindsey's coffers, saying that they can park on streets is a load of rubbish,most of the streets are limited to 30 mins and in the season you'd have a struggle to park a mini.The only Parking I can think of that is easy to park for a motorhome is tescos 3 hours and lidl 1 :1/2 hours, I believe the bus station is £15 a day but I would have to check on that View attachment 58077
You must have missed my earlier post (#5 above) and link to the other thread on this subject, Alan. Motorhomes can be parked in Richmond Drive coach park, Skegness for £7.00 a day. See the Interactive Map (tick the Motorhome box).

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Spent a week at North Shore caravan site last August and cycled in to watch the bowls finals every day . We had the misfortune to witness a large group of campers taking over the carpark at the end of the prom all with newish motorhomes and many with Irish accents , there were children running amok , rubbish everywhere , loud music , toilet tanks emptied in the bushes and they hadn,t even paid the parking charge . We witnessed the ejection and clean up by the council and the erection of barriers and private security staff all paid by the council.
It must be very difficult for local residents to differentiate between responsible motorhomers and these freeloading SCUM
This, and similar incidents, is the reason ELDC has acted as it has. To do otherwise would put too high a burden on the local taxpayers, businesses and other visitors.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
John I could say exactly the same about all of the tourist who flood into the west country every year making our water rates etc the highest in the country. I pay top dollar here tourist don't, hence I pay my way and am NOT A BLOODY FREELOADER I have always wild parked and never been irresponsible about black or grey waste let alone rubbish. I do find the constant belittling of wilders such as myself to be a little wearing. I do not want to park surrounded by screaming kids on a site or have to put up with blaring Metalica (good luck to those who do). How I motorhome is my choice. Please don't keep knocking it, I don't knock the way you choose to use your MH.

Roger,
Tourists pay their way in terms of paying for accommodation, food and facilities.
We are talking here about travellers and your genuine motorhomers alike, who contribute nothing and want to pay nothing.
I never said you specifically were a freeloader, but what else are these people?
Wild camping is just that...Wild.
There is nothing wild about a car parking facility provided at someone else's expense and hijacked for free.
Relevant question:
As a site owner, do you want folk to use your site or is it ok for them to camp out for a week for free in a seaside car park provided by your poll tax money, deterring cash customers from the area in the process?

Don't knock tourists to the West Country, mate.
Without them the area is banjaxed good style.

We have a different take on these issues when they are on our doorsteps and we are paying out for no return.

Having a MH doesn't give us the right to do as we wish at other folks' expense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alan
Aug 21, 2008
skegness
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
You must have missed my earlier post (#5 above) and link to the other thread on this subject, Alan. Motorhomes can be parked in Richmond Drive coach park, Skegness for £7.00 a day. See the Interactive Map (tick the Motorhome box).
Sorry about that, yes I had missed your post on bus park and that certainly is'nt to expensive for a days parking.
Alan

Reactions: GJH

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Not quite so John.
Housing Act 2004 S225(1) - Every local housing authority must, when undertaking a review of housing needs in their district under section 8 of the Housing Act 1985 (c. 68), carry out an assessment of the accommodation needs of gypsies and travellers residing in or resorting to their district.
Together with Planning Circular 01/2006, Planning for Gypsy and Traveller Caravan Sites (since updated by the ‘National Planning Policy Framework’ in 2012), the 2004 Act put in place a framework which means every local authority has to identify land for the sites that are needed in its area.
Some sites are residential only but some include transit facilities as well (e.g. Redcar & Cleveland).
Thanks for that Graham.

They have twice closed and then re-opened the sites in the former Derwentside District. The first was at Tanfield (Stanley Zoo) 1960s to 70s and is still abandoned. It was only ever seasonal and I used it as caravan storage for my own caravan in 1975 as it had a full time warden, but was closed to travellers. This was at the time when the authorities built many caravan sites supposedly for travellers, but put restrictions on that stopped them using them. These sites are still going as tourist caravan sites to this day ( Derwent Park at Rowlands Gill and Allenford near Consett) The other gypsy site was at Greencroft being purpose built on an old coal washing tip and looked more like a prison camp. It was closed 2 years ago with DCC advertising work to be undertaken, but was still closed last autumn with no work undertaken that I could see. I will be going past there later this month, so I will see if anything has happened. That was the basis of my comment. Some of the Greencroft users were using laybys (in converted vans) in the area for parking, but not camping. They moved around and did not overstay, so were not a problem. I have parked in a layby with an old guy in a Transit Box Van and wood burning stove with no problems near there. This site never catered for the regular itinerant communities that had parked traditional at Greencroft (at the other end of the industrial estate), for as long as I can remember. They still came each year and gave no problems to the locals, moving on as agreed.

Last edited:
Reactions: GJH

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013

John, what you are saying isn't fair, not all visitors in motorhomes are anti-social....not all visitors in motorhomes don't spend.
Visitors in cars, bikes buses and taxi's could also bring everything they need for their visit.

We visited last year in our motorhome, we enjoyed waffles, tea and coffee a visit to the bookies (while shmbo visited local shops) and fish and chips, not to mention an ice cold one.

I did appreciate being able to park close to these amenities and might visit again...................in contrast i visited Blackpool and couldn't get a space anywhere near any attractions so i went along the coast to St Annes where i was more welcome.

Do coaches and buses get excluded............they bring in more anti social visitors than anything else???????

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
John, what you are saying isn't fair, not all visitors in motorhomes are anti-social....not all visitors in motorhomes don't spend.
Visitors in cars, bikes buses and taxi's could also bring everything they need for their visit.

We visited last year in our motorhome, we enjoyed waffles, tea and coffee a visit to the bookies (while shmbo visited local shops) and fish and chips, not to mention an ice cold one.

I did appreciate being able to park close to these amenities and might visit again...................in contrast i visited Blackpool and couldn't get a space anywhere near any attractions so i went along the coast to St Annes where i was more welcome.

Do coaches and buses get excluded............they bring in more anti social visitors than anything else???????

I didn't say all motorhomers are antisocial, nor I indicate that all motorhome visitors dont spend.
That premise would clearly be ridiculous.
The culprits I and others complain of are those who want to turn up in a bloody great vehicle designed and used as a camping machine, set up in a car park (that's CAR Park, not camp a site) dump shit on the beach and grey waste onto the tarmac.
Buses and coaches generally use designated parking areas.
We can't always park close to amenities in a car, that isn't a motorhome issue.
Turning an amenity into a ad hit hole at someone else's expense is.

Would it be acceptable other vehicles (lorries, for instance) to block up these same parking areas go err weeks at a time?
Of c course not.
They aren't cars.
Neither is a motorhome set up with awning, etc. for an extended stay.

We are not allowed takers, but they are squarely to blame for the current situation.

Camp site or wild site, a car park is neither.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Turning an amenity into a ad hit hole at someone else's expense is.

Surely if the law or the byelaws are being broken then this should be policed accordingly. Weed out the wrong ones and let everyone else enjoy. Why should good law abiding citizens miss out because of some anti-social types.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Bobby22,
I agree, but that's the way of things.
The few freeloaders cock the job up for us all.
Policing and talking has done no good, so the ultimate remedy of prohibition is being used.
Some of these people have. in the past, torn down notices and barriers.
I am a motorhomer too.
I just don't like piss takers, be they travellers or tourists.
I have no problem with a MH taking a single space in any car park, paying where required, for a day.
Same deal as a car.
Taking up free spaces for days on end deprives others of the facility.
This has already been done to death earlier in the year, regarding, in part, some of the same parks mentioned here.
One of those issues that goes around in circles.

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
I totally agree that long term wilding in the same place is unacceptable and that inappropriate stays & rubbish dumping should be stamped out through police enforcement...

Having said that, isn't Skeggy in the tourist business? If it is then isn't policing bad behaviour in a "party town" just a "cost of doing business"? Or are you expecting each and every person to declare how much they are going to spend as they arrive at the town before you let them in? ie. No cash no entry

Also, if "paying your way" is important, will Skeggy residents be refusing all money from central government in future? If not, isn't Skeggy freeloading from the rest of England ?

Sorry if this sounds harsh, I'm not a wild camper myself, but do get so weary of the nimbies who want attract visitors to their town only as long as they are perfect coz otherwise it might cost them money...

Feb 5, 2009
South Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 in MH, 15 in Caravan
Bobby22,
I agree, but that's the way of things.
One of those issues that goes around in circles.
Sounds like the local town council have two choices
1. Live with it
2. Grow a pair and spend some of their substantial tourist income to provide appropriate/effective policing

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
EssexBoy,
Getting bored with this, we've been round this circle in the past year or so.
It's not about nimbys, (I don't live in Skeg, but am a Lincs rates payer) nor is it about "perfect visitors".
My views would be the same if the same were happening in your, or anyone else's, neck of the woods.

It's about black waste dumped in the dunes,
its about grey waste allowed to run across a car park into the drains / grass verges,
its about people who have stated they bring all they need with them to save money,
its about people setting up a full camp, awnings and all, in a public car park,
its about discouraging day trippers from visiting certain areas.
What part of that is hard to accept?

Your first paragraph said it all.
Policing is expensive, why should 24/365 policing be needed?
The freeloaders cant take a hint so they, not the councils, have spoiled it for us all.
End for me, this is simply repeating everything that's already been said on other threads.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back