Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Checked our local barn owls yesterday to find 5 healthy chicks......

00-Owls-1-2014.jpg

00-Owls-2-2014.jpg

... but unfortunately, four had managed to escape their nesting box, as the inspection hatch had fallen into a state of disrepair, and were on the floor of the barn. We have now retrieved them all, put them back into the box, and carried out a temporary repair on the hatch. Had they remained on the floor they will have undoubtedly have been predated - by pine marten or cats (possibly even a wildcat!!) It was in 2004 that we installed the box after we had found multiple barn owl carcasses in the barn. And since then we have had 22 chicks!! The last few years have been hard for the owls. No owls were present in 2010, and as far as we know, only one last year. The amount of snow cover into the spring really diminishes their ability to catch sufficient prey. But this year's very mild weather has seemingly produced a bounty of small mammals to raise five healthy chicks. We hope to ring them over the next week or so.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Bill thank you so much for shareing, lovely pictures and good to see how one persons efforts can make such a difference.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
nice photos.not keen on owls.ever since they tried to tear my aviry apart to get to my birds.but great to see them in flight mode.::bigsmile:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
:thumb:

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
Thank you for sharing and keep up the good work :thumb::thumb::thumb:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Thanks from down here as well :thumb:

OP
OP
Campercaillie

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Bill thank you so much for shareing, lovely pictures and good to see how one persons efforts can make such a difference.

Thanks Carol, and to everybody for all the nice comments, but it's not just down to me. The barn owl box was one of several manufactured by pupils at Kingussie High School, and a friend of ours who works for SNH (Scottish Natural Heritage) was tasked for suitable locations to place them. I daresay most of them will have left school by now, but they've been kept up to date over the years. My son and his 7 year-old son too, my wife all lend a hand, as does my friend at SNH who hopefully will be ringing them in the near future. But as somebody mentioned they are in serious decline, particularly with the loss of suitable habitats, so when we finally get them rung all the effort becomes worthwhile.

OP
OP
Campercaillie

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
Six days on, and all 5 barn owls have been safely rung. All were still in the nest-box, and each has filled out nicely......

00-Owl-IMG_0302.jpg

The facial disc on this one is appearing through the downy feathers.

00-Owl-IMG_0306.jpg

As with many birds, not particularly attractive at this young age.

00-Owl-IMG_0299.jpg

Ringing the birds: Each ring identifies where and when it was rung, and by whom should it ever be caught or recovered.

00-Owl-IMG_0319.jpg

My little grandson, Callum (just turned 7) getting used to handling birds: He wants to follow in his dad's footsteps, and was up at 5 this morning with his dad - off to the Moray Firth ringing birds.

00-Owl-IMG_0330.jpg

And finally, a group photo. Sadly, perhaps only 2 of the 5 will make it through their first winter. But if they do, their chances of surviving to breeding age is increased dramatically.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I've read that if wild falcons are handled as chicks they don't ever hunt properly, are owls affected by this? Or is it to do with falconry only? Just wondered. Also why won't three of them survive? What kills them?

Think what you are doing is great, by the way:thumb:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've read that if wild falcons are handled as chicks they don't ever hunt properly...

Not sure where you read that but it isn't true, assuming the birds were handled properly of course. An old friend of my father's in Cumbria who I am visiting in a couple of weeks has ringed over 1000 Peregrine Falcons in his life time, probably more than anyone else. He recently published a short paper showing how the Peregrine has come back strongly in the area of his study since the dark days of DDT. Given he handled most of them over a period of several decades I think it can be said they didn't suffer as a result. Unfortunately, the recovery of the Peregrine is not complete in Cumbria, the last 15 years have seen a decline, but not too dramatic. Bad weather and West Cumbrian pigeon fanciers have all been blamed!
http://raptorpolitics.org.uk/2013/1...inus-in-cumbria-the-super-recovery-1963-2012/

Last edited:

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks devonbeekeeper, it was all about Saudi prince's paying a lot of money for captured perigrines from the states in the 80's. The chicks needed to be hooded whilst raised in the mews.

They call it the sport of kings over there.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks devonbeekeeper, it was all about Saudi prince's paying a lot of money for captured perigrines from the states in the 80's. The chicks needed to be hooded whilst raised in the mews.

They call it the sport of kings over there.

Big money in Peregrines. I have heard a Peregrine chick can fetch over £100K these days in places like the UAE. No wonder wild nests need guarding 24/7.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
I think the handling of chicks and not hunting properly is if they are then "paired" and used for falconry. Handling them spoils them in some way for falconry. It doesn't affect birds that will be left in the wild. Sorry I wasn't very clear.

Just read your friends paper, very interesting, thanks for that. It mentions birds being stolen and sold in the Middle East too.

Realise my question re owls was stupid because they aren't a bird falconers work with. :Doh:

OP
OP
Campercaillie

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
......why won't three of them survive? What kills them?

A fairly high mortality rate, around 25%, is common in birds of prey. It can come down to a lack of available prey, extreme or prolonged adverse weather, a bird's lack of ability or skill to hunt, a lack of suitable habitat or any combination of these and other factors. Before the end of the year each of these youngsters will be pushed out of its parent birds' territory to find its own, and I guess that is when their struggle really begins.

OP
OP
Campercaillie

Campercaillie

Free Member
Jun 23, 2012
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 620
Exp
-
A little footnote after ringing the owls ....
Whilst there I showed my little 7-year-old grandson some owl pellets in the barn. I explained that they were not "droppings" as such, and that they were the regurgitated bits that were undigestable to the owl. I went on to say that they could be analysed and that you would find lots of little bones which would identify what the owls were eating. All you need to do I said was to soak them for a while and take out the little bones. Me and my big mouth!! In an instant he picked some up and thrust them into my trouser pockets! Anyway, we had lots of fun, and from just three pellets, about the size of a little cocktail sausage we did indeed produce a few bones ......

00-Pellets-A.jpg

... and a close up of one or two of them ...:Eeek:

00-Pellets-B.jpg

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Extraordinary :Eeek: are these regulated by the owls rather than passed through.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Thanks for posting these beautiful photos of the chicks. We hear owls a lot around here where we are in this quiet part of D & G, it's great just to stand outside in the dark and listen to them in nearby trees:thumb:

Margaret

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back