Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
Hi,::bigsmile:Bankrupt stock of mud grips on e-bay,2 sets for the price of 1,item under mud grips.Just bought a couple myself.:thumb:

chas

Free Member
Nov 24, 2007
west midlands
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
32 long years !
bargain mud grips

Sorry to say they are a complete waste of time and money, bought some years ago for £1 a pair. They sink into soft ground and shoot them out behind the van if you are lucky. Make yourself up a pair of wooden boards about 2ft long and 10" wide, and put the drive wheels on them when the ground looks soft, they will spread the weight and allow you to get the momentum to get away, hopefully. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Can I ask why? I was thinking of getting some but you've got much more experience than me, are they unnecessary or are there better things available?

I bought similar Fiama ones when I had a european van.. they didn't grip the ground and shot out from the wheels when trying to extract myself from a muddy site, then when I parked on them they cracked, so I threw them away.

I now use cut down bread trays which are bigger and don't slip , another idea is to buy cheap rubber door maps from a pound shop, several can be linked together using cable ties.

There are 'proper' grips available .. but at a a price

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Sorry to say they are a complete waste of time and money, bought some years ago for £1 a pair. They sink into soft ground and shoot them out behind the van if you are lucky. Make yourself up a pair of wooden boards about 2ft long and 10" wide, and put the drive wheels on them when the ground looks soft, they will spread the weight and allow you to get the momentum to get away, hopefully. :thumb:

Oh well!:whatthe:

We used them a few times and found them to be quite useful.
They're probably no good if you are sinking inches into the mud when stationary, but for a slippery situation we found they gave us enough grip to get moving and so onto fimer ground; and for less than a tenner they've already paid for themselves.:thumb:

John

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Thanks for the link I had hoped to see something different, this type just don't work very well at all.

DJP

Free Member
Nov 4, 2008
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
Exp
Make yourself up a pair of wooden boards about 2ft long and 10" wide, and put the drive wheels on them when the ground looks soft, they will spread the weight and allow you to get the momentum to get away, hopefully. :thumb:
Scaffold planks work quite well. However, a word of caution if using something solid like boards, planks or baskets. Just watch when the wheel reaches the end of the board that the end does not sink in and the opposite end shoot up into the air and become a rampost into the underside of the van or GRP bodywork. I have seen it happen. Take care.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Bread Trays - Beware

I now use cut down bread trays which are bigger and don't slip , another idea is to buy cheap rubber door maps from a pound shop, several can be linked together using cable ties.

Just a word of caution. I thought I would approach the local bakery and see if they would let me have some broken trays. After a very cordial conversation with the sales director of Fine Lady Bakeries, he said they could not help as there is an industry-wide 'police-force' that seeks out illegal use of the trays. (I remember a similar system years ago in the processed meat industry.) Basically, they lose so many trays that it is worth enforcing their recovery. Each tray has an ownership mark and if you are found with these, there is a real chance of prosecution.

Philip

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
Scaffold planks work quite well. However, a word of caution if using something solid like boards, planks or baskets. Just watch when the wheel reaches the end of the board that the end does not sink in and the opposite end shoot up into the air and become a rampost into the underside of the van or GRP bodywork. I have seen it happen. Take care.

Wise words indeed. Just not worth it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back