Bargain Electric Bikes? (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
my wife has used an electric bike for 6 years after bilateral knee replacement.

The bike, bought in Britain 6 years ago cost £995.

Although it performed well until a few weeks ago it suffered a complete failure with the motor burning out. As we were at our home in France at the time a phone call to the British supplier brought the expected response that they would have to see the bike to make a judgement on likely cost of repair. They also suggested that, after six years, the battery may be nearing the end of its life and it may be sensible to replace it at a cost of approx £300.

A quick look around in France found a brand new electric bike for 299 euros! At the rate of exchange that worked out at under £230!

OK, the battery is lead acid rather than Lithium based but it has three levels of assistance and a range of 25 to 45 miles depending on use rather than the 40+ of some lithium models. As my wife tends to limit her riding to about 30 Kms that is not a problem. It is fitted with a good quality Shimano 6 Speed dérailleur system

Although the the battery is heavier than the lithium one the bike itself is lighter making the total 1kilo heavier in total than the last one.

What is the quality like, well that remains to be seen, but at present it is performing well.

The bike model has now been replaced by a new one which is about 350 euros but still very cheap by British standards.

The bike was bought from the car accessory supplier Norauto which can be found all over France. We are not saying it is the best thing since sliced bread but :-

Almost £1000 over 6 years
V
£230 for how many years?

Seems worth taking a chance.

The bike frame is guaranteed for life and the electrics for 3 years.

Seems like a bargain to us.(y)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This thread has just cost me£580, after reading about norauto just found one in Verdun been in and bought TWO electric bikes for less than six hundred and they are not the ones with the lead batterys, but a fold up one for Julie and a full size men's bike for me with litium batterys.
Thanks for the heads up on this one, anyone in France who is thinking of buying a electric bike get along there now they are selling at half price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Blimey and you lot call me cheapskate because I prefer Aires & Wilding to sites, at least I spent a few grand on a couple of decent e-bikes (probably why I can't afford sites).:D:D:D

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Back to aire now,charging up, but Julie, off on hers without the battery havnt got mine off the rack yet, but looks as if it would hold an elephant.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
There you go £500 worth of bikes
WP_20150629_19_20_38_Pro.jpg

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
By the way its a lot nicer aire than looks from the photo, the canal with boats is behind me

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Where abouts are you @chaser
Stenay between Verdun and sedan, its in the aires book,8 euros a night including Lecky water, emptying, showers toilets even a washing machine, you can park either side of the canal, the other side is more secluded and most vans go over there but no view of canal, this sde is more car parky but right at the side of the water, plus the bars on this side

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Back to aire now,charging up, but Julie, off on hers without the battery havnt got mine off the rack yet, but looks as if it would hold an elephant.
Didn't do anything with the bikes in France but now we are home, had a go on them last night , they are absolutely brilliant, don't know how long the electric side will last but the frame looks like it would last for ever, even found out mines got suspension.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I wonder if they do mail order, I could not get google translate to work on thier web site?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I wonder if they do mail order, I could not get google translate to work on thier web site?
Don't know if you have found this site
Broken Link Removed
These are the bikes they are selling now the model numbers all end with a five, but the ones they are selling off , half price are last years and they end in 0, but I think you have to actually go in and see what the branch have left , there was only one left in the one we were in, one similar to mine but without a crossbar.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Are the bikes "pedal assist" type or do they have the throttle? We are looking for one that will help Mrs Colpot pull away from a standing start and also on hills.
BTW Stenay Aire was one of our favourites - we stayed the other side to you and thought it was great - wifi as well was available.
0010 Stenay aire.JPG

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Mine is the 450 which is now 455 and Julie's is the 210 which is now 215 and come complete with battery

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
They are only pedal assist, but start as soon as you turn the pedal, no throttle but what I have seen on here you are libel for having one with a throttle abroad anyway but I'm sure she would be ok with these if you start off in a low gear it's almost instantaneous.
Must say I have not had anything to do with electric bikes before, but don't see how you could get anything better than these, but as I said don't know how long the electrics will last, but just looking at the nor auto site I see the new battery is only 89 euros , thought they were hundreds.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
They are only pedal assist, but start as soon as you turn the pedal, no throttle but what I have seen on here you are libel for having one with a throttle abroad anyway but I'm sure she would be ok with these if you start off in a low gear it's almost instantaneous.
Must say I have not had anything to do with electric bikes before, but don't see how you could get anything better than these, but as I said don't know how long the electrics will last, but just looking at the nor auto site I see the new battery is only 89 euros , thought they were hundreds.

Thanks - just need to wangle a sneaky trip over sooner rather than later before they are all gone

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Are the bikes "pedal assist" type or do they have the throttle? We are looking for one that will help Mrs Colpot pull away from a standing start and also on hills.
BTW Stenay Aire was one of our favourites - we stayed the other side to you and thought it was great - wifi as well was available.View attachment 68392
We placed the original thread after finding the bikes at Norauto. With two artificial knees, one of which works well and one not so well, it was important to my wife that the bike was easy to start. These are! Just start in first or second gear, about one turn of the pedals and off you go.

Once on the move you must keep the pedals turning to keep the assistance operating but there does not need to be any real pressure exerted. It's almost like turning the pedals with no chain on the bike.

Go for it if you can. Think of all the pleasure to come!(y)

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
I hope there will be a few left when I arrive in France towards the end of this month :cautious:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We placed the original thread after finding the bikes at Norauto. With two artificial knees, one of which works well and one not so well, it was important to my wife that the bike was easy to start. These are! Just start in first or second gear, about one turn of the pedals and off you go.

Once on the move you must keep the pedals turning to keep the assistance operating but there does not need to be any real pressure exerted. It's almost like turning the pedals with no chain on the bike.

Go for it if you can. Think of all the pleasure to come!(y)
Hi , was not trying to hijack your thread , just telling what happened to us, thanks for the heads up on norauto, had nothing to do with electric bikes before and don't know how others work, but can't see what others could do better, never mind how much they cost, as to the electrics , no idea how long they will last, but although heavy, the bikes run really well without electric , absolute bargain up to yet.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Chaser,

Didn't think you were hijacking anything! Just trying to add to your comments. Sorry if you thought the recent post was intended as a criticism.

We are simply delighted that our post helped you find the bikes at a good price and hope you will enjoy them.

My wife's has certainly enjoyed hers.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back