Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
I have been offered EHU on a ferry from Split to Ancona and I think it was Grimaldi - a Swedish couple accepted their offer and after docking found it had created havoc with their electrical system having blown up various bits of kit. I was indeed glad I hadn’t accepted it and it is a constant reminded Not to do so in the future either :) With regard to gas - it is always best policy to shut off all gas cylinders / bottles but have never been asked or checked that it has been done over many ferry journeys :)

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Can someone check this out for me please, i always have doubts ive done it wrong. I seem to be able to get Barcelona to Italy 16th may €236 is that right ??? 2 adults does age matter ?? m/h 6.65 x 3m
Thanks (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Freespirit1

Free Member
Sep 3, 2013
West Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Short while after a gap of many years.
Can someone check this out for me please, i always have doubts ive done it wrong. I seem to be able to get Barcelona to Italy 16th may €236 is that right ??? 2 adults does age matter ?? m/h 6.65 x 3m
Thanks (y)

Go to Direct Ferries site - one way for MH and 2 passengers 198 Euro on 16thMay with Grimaldi line - no cabin. With4 berth inside cabin 227Euro - Age - If your in your Nineties think twice about it eh!! :)

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Freesprit1 thanks for your help as I booked on line I have a photo of booking one more question as on the tunnel do you have to turn off your gas just thinking if stuff in fridge? Have a great time in Italy
It is against international maritime law to leave gas appliances running on a car deck & gas has to be turned off at the bottles. No problem with fridge/freezer keeping cold for 24 hours if the doors aren't opened.
When we got the ferry from Italy to Greece we plugged into EHU on the car deck.

moggyg

Free Member
Sep 22, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenze 2007
Exp
newbie - again
Thanks (y)
I have done this ferry twice this year and this is what I did and got a great price! Not saying it will still work but on two separate bookings it worked for me.

Add motorhome 3.1m by 8m = 176 euro
add owners suite = 69 euro (free breakfast and access to Spa)

= 245 euro

Then here is he funny thing....

We added 2 x the 2 course lunch at 11.50 euro each

Grand total = 211 euro

Why 211? I dont know but it happened twice. Both booked a few weeks apart.

Very happy with the ferry, apart from the return as it had a million hormonal teenagers onboard!!! The free breaky was not worth it and not really worth getting up early for but the spa was great and we both used the gym and sauna.

Marco

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Thanks @moggyg I booked it the other day €236 outside 4 birth exclusive cabin, wish I'd tried the meals as well.
@moggyg

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
from Calais (or Amsterdam or Zeebrugge) to Italy :) .

It's an easy delight. Far far better than two ferry journies.

Stop 1 Metz, stop 2 Lucern and you are in Italy having seen some glorious sights.

Calais to Garda is only 750 miles. It's nothing. Europoort is the same.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It's an easy delight. Far far better than two ferry journies.

Stop 1 Metz, stop 2 Lucern and you are in Italy having seen some glorious sights.

Calais to Garda is only 750 miles. It's nothing. Europoort is the same.

Pretty sure we would need to stop a lot more than that ...... 750 miles is 3 days (at least) for us ....... Since I had DVT and MPE I am only supposed to be in a car for a maximum of an hour at a time before a long break and walk so it always takes twice as long as for anyone else. Then we need to get down south of Pescara.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Since I had DVT and MPE I am only supposed to be in a car for a maximum of an hour at a time

My apologies, I didn't know that. All of a sudden a good plan goes down the drain. Which is a shame, that was a lovely route.

I have a cunning plan, you in the back on an exercise bike and OH in driving seat.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
My apologies, I didn't know that. All of a sudden a good plan goes down the drain. Which is a shame, that was a lovely route.

I have a cunning plan, you in the back on an exercise bike and OH in driving seat.

Could still do the same route but with additional stops! If we drive we intend to take around 10 days to get there (and the same back), maybe even longer as the intention would be a minimum of 6 weeks away :)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
If we drive we intend to take around 10 days to get there (and the same back),

And why not even without the medical limitations. About 1000 miles in 10 days should be OK for you.

Another glorious route is to head for Fussen, sneak through Austria, and drop into Italy via Trento, we love this route even if it does bring The Sound of Music into out heads.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
Notice ferry arrives 17.30 any recommendations for 1st overnight stop, looking to head over to other coast :)
Ta

moggyg

Free Member
Sep 22, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenze 2007
Exp
newbie - again
Notice ferry arrives 17.30 any recommendations for 1st overnight stop, looking to head over to other coast :)
Ta
We tried a few places close to Civitavecchia without success, as it was end of Feb there were very few vans around and some spots that were on CamperContact did not look suitable on our own. We were actually chased from
Parcheggio Castello (sitecode: 11046) by 4 locals in a couple of cars. This may have been as we have an Ace Firenze MH and we were in Lazio with "Firenze" stuck to the side of the van!!!:(. Depending when you are going these are probs fine.

If you can be bothered going into Rome then we stayed at Area Sosta Camper Romae (sitecode: 54516) and this was excellent for a site so close to the centre about 1:20 hour away from the port. It is right on a metro line and we just walked to the colosseum in about 45 mins(tight scot). It was relatively easy to get there as it is not far from the ring road and also not too close to town that its mayhem.

Where are you cutting across? Are you heading across to Pescara or south to Naples and across to Pulia? We tried non toll roads but these were both horrendously slow and in a horrendous condition, so mainly stuck to tolls. They are not as expensive as france or spain, IMHO.

Ciao
Marco

Last edited:

Deleted User
We stopped in the car park for the Etruscan Necropolis at Cerveteri the night before doing the reverse journey, which is about 20 miles, worth visiting the Necropolis. We were on our own but had no problems.

IMG_2161_1.JPG

The inside of the tombs are made to resemble the interior of dwellings.

IMG_2146_1.JPG

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
looking to head over to other coast :)
Ta

Where are you cutting across? Are you heading across to Pescara or south to Naples and across to Pulia? We tried non toll roads but these were both horrendously slow and in a horrendous condition, so mainly stuck to tolls. They are not as expensive as france or spain, IMHO.

Ciao
Marco

I am being a nosy mare as well @Busman ....... interesting comment about the non toll roads - we will be going to the Pescara area.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
We tried a few places close to Civitavecchia without success, as it was end of Feb there were very few vans around and some spots that were on CamperContact did not look suitable on our own. We were actually chased from
Parcheggio Castello (sitecode: 11046) by 4 locals in a couple of cars. This may have been as we have an Ace Firenze MH and we were in Lazio with "Firenze" stuck to the side of the van!!!:(. Depending when you are going these are probs fine.

If you can be bothered going into Rome then we stayed at Area Sosta Camper Romae (sitecode: 54516) and this was excellent for a site so close to the centre about 1:20 hour away from the port. It is right on a metro line and we just walked to the colosseum in about 45 mins(tight scot). It was relatively easy to get there as it is not far from the ring road and also not too close to town that its mayhem.

Ciao
Marco
We're doing Rome and then down to Pompie train into Sorrento. Hoping to meet up with TerryL but dont know if we will dovetail. Then across to t'other side and ed wom

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
... interesting comment about the non toll roads - we will be going to the Pescara area.

A few years ago we travelled from Slovenja, because of the rain, round the corner and down to Rimini, where it was dry, but the roads or more like collection of deep holes nearly wrecked the van and that was picking the better holes.

Deleted User
If anyone has time a very worthwhile short diversion off the Autoroute is Monte Cassino. We visited the Abbey, didn't go in, costs too much, but the Polish Cemetery and Museum is very moving. Unfortunately the weather closed in and we did not get to see the Commonwealth Cemetery in the village. There is an aire at the bottom of the road up to the Abbey which is free, I think they want something like €8 to park next to the Abbey.

IMG_2060.JPG

Another very nice spot is Bracciano, there is an aire near the lake with full facilities cost €17 in 2016. The town is very interesting with a castle and superb views of the lake, bit of a walk uphill from the aire but if you are lucky the site owners will give you a lift.

IMG_2080.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

An easy cycle ride along the lake is the Museo Storico Aeronautica Militare, Vigna de Valle, free entry to a superb collection of sea planes.

http://www.aeronautica.difesa.it/storia/museostorico/Pagine/default.aspx

Including this beauty which still holds the speed record for sea planes but never won the Schneider Trophy

IMG_2099 (1408 x 1056).jpg

and its massive engine which looks like two V12's joined together.

IMG_2100 (1408 x 1056).jpg

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Must admit to not noticing the twin props, presumably contra rotating?

Looking at the blades they have to be contra rotating ( or broken ) and the pitch is insane. That is one serious plane, typical Italian built with passion and style.

Unless my brain has really had it, I recall that the Spitfire originated in a design to beat the Italians in air racing.

Deleted User
Looking at the blades they have to be contra rotating ( or broken ) and the pitch is insane. That is one serious plane, typical Italian built with passion and style.

Unless my brain has really had it, I recall that the Spitfire originated in a design to beat the Italians in air racing.
Yes it did, I knew that but not the details

"
In 1931 the British government withdrew support, but a private donation of £100,000 from Lucy, Lady Houston, allowed Supermarine to compete and win on 13 September against only British opposition, with reportedly half a million spectators lining the beachfronts. The Italian, French, and German entrants failed to ready their aircraft in time for the competition. The remaining British team set both a new world speed record (610 km/h (380 mph)) and won the trophy outright with a third straight win.[7] The following days saw the winning Supermarine S.6B further break the world speed record twice, making it the first craft to break the 400 mph barrier on 29 September at an average speed of 655.8 km/h (407.5 mph).

Development of the other entrants did not cease there. The proposed Italian entrant (the Macchi M.C.72) which pulled out of the contest due to engine problems later went on to set two new world speed records. In April 1933 (over Lake Garda, in northern Italy) it set a record with a speed of 682.36 km/h (424.00 mph). Eighteen months later in the same venue, it broke the 700 km/h barrier with an average speed of 709.202 km/h (440.678 mph). Both times the plane was piloted by Francesco Agello. This speed remains the fastest speed ever attained by a piston-engined seaplane.[8]."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schneider_Trophy

I think this is the Italian one that won in 1926, looks like a 2 bladed prop

IMG_2091.JPG

Apologies for thread hijack.......I love seaplanes, went in a Short Sunderland in Pembroke Dock in the earl sixties, I was only little then:), A few years ago there was a Catalina at the Sunderland airshow, an ugly duckling but beautiful to me, pictures not great but best I could do.

IMG_0622.JPG

The Vulcan was there as well 2013

More apologies.........I get carried away:)

OP
OP
StanandShirley

StanandShirley

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Chatteris Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson Titanium 640
Exp
four years
Thanks for all the suggestions and yes stayed at the Castello very quite night heading into Rome soon then onto our friends for the weekend they live just south of Naples more then likely come back to explore some more in this area later

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Spent a Sunday watching seaplanes landing and taking off from Lake Washington a few years back. We were parked (in a hire car) beside the lake next to the Boeing factory. The factory is on the east side and their test airfield is on the west side of where we were parked and we had a car picnic watching the new planes being taken from the factory to the airfield and put through their paces. We had been hoping to hire a couple of kayaks from a place there but it was all closed up when we arrived (even though we had phoned to make arrangements in advance). Ah well, the water didn't look too clean anyway.

Busman

Free Member
Jul 25, 2013
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Esterel
Exp
A few years
I stopped here - and only about 10km or so from the Port - very quiet spot :)[/QUOTE]
Great that will do us, will be making way over to Pescara from there then Bari.
Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back