Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
As we are all aware barbecues are a big part of the outdoor life and motorhoming is part of this. When out and about this summer i witnessed, a couple of times, people setting up their unit. Getting the barby out and proceeding to cook there evening meal. They got out these small bucket type things and lit them up. Next they break out the wine and get themselves a small seat and sit right in front of the barbecue.

This is very dangerous if your barbecue should fall towards you through wind or unlevel/settleing ground you have no escape. The barbecue could flare up and your natural reaction is to stand up straight towards it.
A read of barbecue safety now and then will go a long way to an enjoyable meal or party.

Please, please if you are having a barbecue never be tempted to sit in front of it, the consequences could be nasty.

Jan 20, 2015
Fife
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 454
Exp
Since 2013
Bobby , have you ever considered getting a job as a car park attendent or a site marshal , you appear to have the right attitude . Must go now , i have an thrilling book of health and safety rules I must finish before I can leave the safety of my house .

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Danger is part of the fun of a BBQ. The missus always freaks out when I squirt lighting fluid on a slow BBQ.

Salad is a bit safer if you are worried.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
have seen several fires started by barbecues being to near dry grass or windbreaks too over the years. some folk are just stupid and try very hard to remove themselves from the gene pool

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
No worries

tactical-bbq-apron-3.jpg

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
The problem with a post about safety is those doing things in an unsafe way won't be bright enough to listen to the advise so a bit of a waste of time really!
I take risks, so you saying I'm not very bright?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I take risks, so you saying I'm not very bright?
If you take risks knowing you are (like when I fly the motorglider) you might be bright if you take risks and don't think about what you are doing or the consequences if things go wrong you aren't

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
They are also extremely carcinogenic and should be used indoors, unlike the smokers who you chased outdoors:sneaky:

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I recently retired after 35 years bike racing and instructing on some very fast tracks. I think I can cope with a little danger
What you did was risky for sure, but why did you have to instruct others????

Last edited:

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I recently retired after 35 years bike racing and instructing on some very fast tracks. I think I can cope with a little danger

Track racing - pffff, wimp riding :) Real riders rode with me on the Wall of Death at Southend Kursaal - 90 degree incline:)
Sorry @Bobby22, no leathers, no helmet, no brakes and no insurance.

Anyway, how many Boy Scouts have sat around campfires and lived to tell the tale?

Please don't give H&SE any ideas or we'll end up with a barbecue 3 meter rule. :)

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
As we are all aware barbecues are a big part of the outdoor life and motorhoming is part of this. When out and about this summer i witnessed, a couple of times, people setting up their unit. Getting the barby out and proceeding to cook there evening meal. They got out these small bucket type things and lit them up. Next they break out the wine and get themselves a small seat and sit right in front of the barbecue.

This is very dangerous if your barbecue should fall towards you through wind or unlevel/settleing ground you have no escape. The barbecue could flare up and your natural reaction is to stand up straight towards it.
A read of barbecue safety now and then will go a long way to an enjoyable meal or party.

Please, please if you are having a barbecue never be tempted to sit in front of it, the consequences could be nasty.

Common sense I agree, but how many choose to ignore it, you can only try.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
have seen several fires started by barbecues being to near dry grass or windbreaks too over the years. some folk are just stupid and try very hard to remove themselves from the gene pool
I recall somebody almost burning his tent down at a re-enactment event some years ago through being stupid.
The fire was extinguished using the much maligned buckets of water :)

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
No Boyscout campfires nowadays..........without a risk assessment in place.:whistle:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Bobby Ian am sure your warning comes from the best of motives. However anyone with half a brain will check thier BBQ is not going to fall over and even if a small bucket type one fell over a person would need to be sitting very close to get burnt and the smoke and fumes given off would probably mean they kept a reasonable distance anyway and I don't see someone sitting around a BBQ in a force ten gale which is probably what would be needed to blow it over as you suggest.

Well intentioned but the stating the bleeding obvious, we are adults and perfectly able to manage such risks, thank you for your concern.

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Bobby Ian am sure your warning comes from the best of motives. However anyone with half a brain will check thier BBQ is not going to fall over and even if a small bucket type one fell over a person would need to be sitting very close to get burnt and the smoke and fumes given off would probably mean they kept a reasonable distance anyway and I don't see someone sitting around a BBQ in a force ten gale which is probably what would be needed to blow it over as you suggest.

Well intentioned but the stating the bleeding obvious, we are adults and perfectly able to manage such risks, thank you for your concern.
You obviously didn't take in my OP. Anyone with half a brain as you say, would know that bbqs can fall over and flare up. I witnessed on two occasions people sitting directly infront of it with legs by its side.
If the warning is of no use to you then, 'the bleeding obvious' might get through to the 2 people i saw.

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006

I didn't

IMG_4988.JPG

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
You obviously didn't take in my OP. Anyone with half a brain as you say, would know that bbqs can fall over and flare up. I witnessed on two occasions people sitting directly infront of it with legs by its side.
If the warning is of no use to you then, 'the bleeding obvious' might get through to the 2 people i saw.
Oh I took it in ok. However, I expect that most on here are just as aware of the risks as you are and can use common sense. Having witnessed people on two occasions who were in your view putting themselves in danger I assume you shared your concerns with them.

OP
OP
Bobby22

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Oh I took it in ok. However, I expect that most on here are just as aware of the risks as you are and can use common sense. Having witnessed people on two occasions who were in your view putting themselves in danger I assume you shared your concerns with them.
:eek:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I suppose your £400 a day was to instruct likeminded people to get round these, very fast, tracks as fast and as SAFE as possible.
Yes, and I see where you are going with this. But when racing, you can't think about crashing. If you don't crash several times a season, then you ain't trying. The new MotoGP champion crashed 2 days ago while safely in the lead.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I suppose your £400 a day was to instruct likeminded people to get round these, very fast, tracks as fast and as SAFE as possible.
Not in my case... it was to get people round them as fast as possible !! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back