LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
We now use a Florabest BBQ from Lidl , uses a tiny amount of charcoal, about a mug full and heat is adjustable.
We find far better than our Cadac which is a pain to keep clean.
Echo this
- provided you keep them up off the grass or anything flammable.
On my recent trip, both CC and C&CC sites provided house bricks to raise BBQ's off the grass.

Apr 10, 2014
glasgow
Funster No
MH
iveco conversion
Exp
we got a great little attachment and griddle in cornwall. It fits on top of a standard patio canister. bit fiddly but works great.

Oct 17, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
40 years caravanning. New A-class Moho owners
Hi. If you go for charcoal, get one of these. It starts the charcoal brilliantly. You are supposed to use firelighters which you will have to take or buy. I use a gas poker. Best thing since sliced bread.
Link Removed
s-l1600.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
We love our Cadac Carri Chef wouldn't be without it...it's very easy to wash up and packs into a bag. Even though I'm pescaterian and don't eat meat I love the smell of BBQing food.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Wildcamping in Scotland I always just carried some firewood and a stainless steel grill, used stones found lying around to make a pit burnt the wood then cooked on the grill once it died down, always had a Dutch oven pot for cooking on the fire too.
Not sure how much off that I'll be able to do on the continent but tastes much better than a gas bbq in my humble opinion.... Always thought gas bbq wasnt much different from a cooker but granted I've never used one so if anyone wants to cook me burgers chicken prime fillet steak on one and I can taste test lol

Aug 9, 2015
Hampshire. England
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape 624
Exp
Since 2015
We love our Cadac Safari Chef, had a gas point fitted when we converted to a full refillable LPG system. No smelly black smoke and ready to cook in a few minutes.

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
At
Wildcamping in Scotland I always just carried some firewood and a stainless steel grill, used stones found lying around to make a pit burnt the wood then cooked on the grill once it died down, always had a Dutch oven pot for cooking on the fire too.
Not sure how much off that I'll be able to do on the continent but tastes much better than a gas bbq in my humble opinion.... Always thought gas bbq wasnt much different from a cooker but granted I've never used one so if anyone wants to cook me burgers chicken prime fillet steak on one and I can taste test lol
At 40° a fire would be foolhardy in southern France or Spain (where we are at the mo) Italy or Greece and probably lots of other EU countries. Gas BBQs are wonderful and very safe :)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
At

At 40° a fire would be foolhardy in southern France or Spain (where we are at the mo) Italy or Greece and probably lots of other EU countries. Gas BBQs are wonderful and very safe :)
At 40° I won't need the fire I'll just slow cool the steak on the bonnet

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Can't stand tin or steel BBQ's as they just rust away. Aluminium are best. Yet to find a small Ally BBQ with cast iron burners that won't rot away! Got a Cadac but it's not really a BBQ more an external cooker! Has anyone yet made the holy grail of BBQ's that I'm looking for? Probably not as they want me to buy a new one every few years!

SWMBO wants to go to Spain this year and has just noticed that most sites have BBQ bans! How are we going to cope if we can't BBQ?
Gas and electric BBQs are usually ok in Spain.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Can't stand tin or steel BBQ's as they just rust away. Aluminium are best. Yet to find a small Ally BBQ with cast iron burners that won't rot away! Got a Cadac but it's not really a BBQ more an external cooker! Has anyone yet made the holy grail of BBQ's that I'm looking for? Probably not as they want me to buy a new one every few years!

SWMBO wants to go to Spain this year and has just noticed that most sites have BBQ bans! How are we going to cope if we can't BBQ?
The Weber Q series are very good. Aluminium shell, enamelled cast iron grill and stainless steel burner. I have had a q200 at home for 5 or 6 years and no sign of any rust! I now have the newer and smaller q1200 for the motorhome.

But more importantly is that it works really well. Designed and made in the USA by the company that is synonymous with BBQs over there (or grills as they call them). They do much more outdoor cooking than we do because of their better weather and get very serious about it all.

Just follow the instructions and close the lid to allow it to cook things properly. Low and slow as they say. We have used our's at home to roast pork and chicken and vegetables. Even used it to do a pizza. Works just as well with the more mundane stuff like sausages burgers and chicken legs. They retain more moisture and are not cremated on the outside.

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
Weber Baby Q for me. Its fairly light apart from the cast iron griddle which we normally remove and pack separately. It has a full aluminium body and can be connected to an external BBQ point.

It is large if you have a van without a garage, however the lid is easily removable and we stow inside the rear lounge seats with the lid removed. Removing the lid also means it will fit in low height Hymer style underfloor lockers.

The separate cast iron grills are great, when we have finished our trip, I just put them in a plastic bag and stick them through the dishwasher when I get home. Interior of the BBQ is easy to clean so its not an issue bringing it inside the van.

Bengaz

Free Member
May 3, 2015
south shields
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 welcome
Exp
Hi,
Can I reccomend what we use?

We have just bought a small smokey Joe BBQ. Its excelent quality and should last for years.
When BBQ over we stoke up with lumpwood, wait 30 mins and we have a brilliant patio heater that lasts for ages.
http://www.longacres.co.uk/weber-bb...tQtOQn2Nf2EPn6J4LS2IfgARdRaMgzaoaAjifEALw_wcB

If we just fancy couple of burgers, bangers (2 bratwursts when we are in Germany for brekkies) etc we just fire up this, tiny and really well made and stupid price: -
https://www.outdoorcampingdirect.uk...q--utwW8Fl_Nx3xqFGl6m5oIhlF34iGYaApfJEALw_wcB

We have the optional pull out grill on our chausson which is a brilliant idea but this is just about redundant as the taste is nowhere comparable to charcoal. BTW must use lumpwood and not bricketts and only use very small amount of firelighters and NEVER fluid.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back