high wycombe
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
six
hi all
this is from another forum we all need to sign this :thumb:

With various towns in east England having already or planning to ban motorhomes from stopping in them,i have started a petition to the PM asking that councils be made to provide areas where legal motorhomes can stop overnight.The link is here... Link Removed

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
hi all
this is from another forum we all need to sign this :thumb:

With various towns in east England having already or planning to ban motorhomes from stopping in them,i have started a petition to the PM asking that councils be made to provide areas where legal motorhomes can stop overnight.The link is here... Link Removed

Which towns are banning motorhomes?

Graham

gypsyrose

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Mid Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years plus
Just waiting for email so that I can "sign" .....let's all do this as it's getting harder all the time to park up. :cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Just waiting for email so that I can "sign" .....let's all do this as it's getting harder all the time to park up. :cry:
It's actually getting easier to park up legally.

What is also happening, though, is that councils and other land owners are implementing more controls on illegal parking and camping.

Graham

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
petition

been there ! dun it ! SO COME ON YOU FUNSTERS !!!! its in your own interests ! like they say vote early and vote often ! :thanks2:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
done it .hope it works .good luck :thumb:

M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
All signed up! Can't believe that this country is so poor at looking after motorhomers, the right to live as you please.:cry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
All signed up! Can't believe that this country is so poor at looking after motorhomers, the right to live as you please.:cry:

But there isn't a "right to live as you please", only a "right to live as you please within the law" - and that doesn't include camping where one likes unless it is legal or, at least, tolerated.

The main problem with this petition is that it is wrongly targeted. Parking facilities are matters for local authorities, not central government, and there is absolutely no chance of central government taking powers to make the situation otherwise.

The reason why most local authorities don't use existing powers to create aires or equivalents is that they don't have evidence to show that it would be to the advantage of their local areas.

What they do see, in some areas anyway, is an increase in complaints from residents about MH owners camping overnight where such is perceived as detrimental to the area.

What hardly ever happens is any approach from motorhome owners to councils along the lines of "If you provide somewhere for MHs to overnight in your area it is likely that the owners will spend money in the town, to the economic benefit of the area".

Councils are unlikely to spend taxpayers' money providing things like fresh water points and grey/black waste disposal unless they think there is going to be some value for taxpayers in return.

That's why I encourage people to make positive approaches to councils and provide letter templates on my web site Here.

Graham

M

Mitch

Deleted User
Petition

Signed up, it'll take a lot more to make a difference though.
The point about local governemt is spot on though.

As a relevant point of interest and not wishing to divert the thread, would there be an issue with Gypsies if these areas where provided ? , do they have a problem in France ?
In North Wales they will regularly take over a car park for a few weeks on there way through, only this Sunday a large group left a car park on the sea front near us, after a week and left their ltter behind :Angry:

Mitch:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
As a relevant point of interest and not wishing to divert the thread, would there be an issue with Gypsies if these areas where provided ? , do they have a problem in France ?

The French aires are policed by the local municipal police who have the powers to move on undesirables without needing a court order.
I've never seen one overrun by gypsies but I have seen the odd 'undesirable' moved on.. swiftly.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(snip)
In North Wales they will regularly take over a car park for a few weeks on there way through, only this Sunday a large group left a car park on the sea front near us, after a week and left their ltter behind :Angry:

Mitch:Smile:

The reason why some groups of gypsies/travellers (English Gypsies and Irish Travellers) have to be treated differently by local authorities is that they are ethnic groups recognised by the Race Relations Amendment Act 2000. Guidance issued by central government to councils indicates how they must take account of the RRAA, the Human Rights Act and other national legislation in dealing with unauthorised encampments set up by members of those groups.

Obviously, in the early stages of an unauthorised encampment it can be difficult for councils to know whether the group responsible qualify as a separate ethnic group and, consequently, what action can/should be taken - though it is not difficult to see that it would normally be a simple matter to identify MH owners as not being part of a group given the RRAA protection.

Whether the law should be amended is (as with so many others) a matter of divided opinion - but that is something which could appropriately be the subject of a petition to No 10 as it is the responsibilty of central government. I would suggest, though, that for any petition to have a chance of succeeding it would have to be sensitively worded to avoid accusations that it was founded on prejudice.

The main adverse effect on MH owners is that some parking areas are height controlled to prevent unauthorised encampments and that also has the effect of preventing us from parking there in the daytime when we have no intention of staying overnight. This is an area where positive approaches to councils might be beneficial - persuading councils to employ staffed barriers so that their areas might enjoy the economic benefits of daytime visitors whilst avoiding the problem of unauthorised encampments.

Graham

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
curious ?

these "ethnic" travellers, what happens when there no.plates are clocked by cameras that recognise identity etc. also what happens when the angle grinders come out to dispense with the height barriers ? why cant i cry out to the "powers that be " YOU ARE PICKING ON ME BECAUSE I AM A LAW ABIDING TAXPAYER ! discuss. :restmycase:

Last edited:
OP
OP
larrythelamb

larrythelamb

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
high wycombe
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
six
great folks the more the merrier :Smile: so lets start at this site Motorhome Friendly and Unfriendly Parking and find out which councils do not allow overnight parking in empty car parks and send them an email enquiring why not? the more that take part the better :winky:

larry and gill

Last edited:

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
I emailed Tesco to ask if we can Park overnight and got this reply
Dear Ms Nye,

Thank you for your email.

This decision would be down to the manager of the store.

I would advise you to contact the store concerned and speak to the manager.

Thank you for contacting Tesco.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us at customer.service@tesco.co.uk quoting TES5699074X.

Kind Regards

Valerie Smith
Customer Service Manager
Tesco Customer Service

So they havent said no way.
It isnt a hard and fast rule but if you are stuck for a place to stay then ask the Manager as we and my friends have done at times.
I was the 2nd person to sign the Petition by the way :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
great folks the more the merrier :Smile: so lets start at this site Motorhome Friendly and Unfriendly Parking and find out which councils do not allow overnight parking in empty car parks and send them an email enquiring why not? the more that take part the better :winky:

larry and gill

The vast majority of councils do not allow overnight camping though many do allow overnight parking - there is a difference.

Reasons may be many and varied. For example:
To try to prevent the setting up of unauthorised campsites (see previous posts)
To prevent use of the car park by boy racers
To stop people parking where their vehicles might be broken into/vandalised when nobody is around.

I welcome people making approaches to councils to encourage provision of more facilities for motorhomes but the way to do it is constructively. An approach making a sound case which shows how MH owners might spend money in the area is much more likely to work than one which comes across as an attack on the council for not providing facilities.

People might find it easier to approach the council where they live or in areas which they visit regularly as their knowledge of those areas would assist in building the economic argument.

Graham

baconsdozen

Free Member
Oct 24, 2008
Funster No
One of the reasons I started this petition was that if enough people sign it provides ammunition to use in a letter or contact with a council asking them for their attitude to overnight stays for motorhomes.
Two of the towns (Southwold and Alburgh) who have,or are proposing to ban motorhomes from parts or all of their towns are under the control of my council,another one to exclude vans (Yarmouth) is only a few miles up the road.I don't think for a minute the petition will make a blind bit of difference on its own,but it can be used as part of an effort to stop all motorhome owners being banned from more and more of the areas our tax discs should normally entitle us to go to.We have to get the press and other media involved and get the issue in front of more people,that stops it being ignored or pushed aside.If we do nothing we'll end up having to reverse decisions and that we all know,is far harder than preventing them from being made in the first place.

OP
OP
larrythelamb

larrythelamb

Free Member
Oct 9, 2008
high wycombe
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
six
any more to sign up, remember the more the better its for all of us to sign it and maybe just maybe who knows :Smile:

baconsdozen

Free Member
Oct 24, 2008
Funster No
The petition has gone past the 200 mark.According to the No 10 website 200 signatures are needed before the petition is actually passed to officials to deal with/look at,so at least it will get noticed.

ronald4874

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Poole Dorset
Funster No
MH
CB 6.5 metres
Exp
About 15yrs plus early years in caravan & cruiser
Ron & Marj

Hi,
Yes most would agree with your efforts and hope it goes further.
We live in Poole which, as you may know, is not very M/H friendly,especially near the shore and therefore M/H's are pushed out of the area for overnight stays, mainly to campsites etc.
I would like to follow the French system where the campsites, mainly municipal, have an Aire adjacent for short stays overnight. They normally provide power and dumping facilities, more often than not you pay 2E for water. and the gap between each unit is about 2M. The good part of their system is that buses tend to pick up the campers from the site so that the Aire users get the benefit. The French tend to oversee their Aires so as to stop the traveller fraternity from using them.
There is only 1 in Spain, at Peniscolar, where you pay 8E for power, water and a small space, unfortunately people take their hols there for say 14 days at a time so no good now for the overnighters. This is something that would need to be avoided on an English Aire.
To go forward with such a plan you will need to 'spoon feed' the folks on the councils with the most simple of ideas. Most still believe that a M/H is a box on 4 wheels where their waste, of all kinds, are thrown into the hedges.
Good luck, hope other can help with ideas, this is not an easy project.

Rose Royce

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
EPSOM
Funster No
Although I've signed this I find that, yet again, the wording could have been better.
In your post you have said that councils MADE TO provide facilities but in your petition you have asked that councils CAN provide facilities.
It would be better if those who wish to raise petitions post them here for peer review first.

Last edited:

baconsdozen

Free Member
Oct 24, 2008
Funster No
Although I've signed this I find that, yet again, the wording could have been better.
In your post you have said that councils MADE TO provide facilities but in your petition you have asked that councils CAN provide facilities.
It would be better if those who wish to raise petitions post them here for peer review first.
Put it up for review?.If it isn't up to standard do I get detention.?
To be honest with all the nit picking I wish I hadn't bothered.

Last edited:
S

solelle

Deleted User
done it

gud 1......lets revolt:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.