Banner Battery ? (1 Viewer)

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
I fitted a couple of Banner 'Energy Bull' 957 51 (019) batteries about 6 and a half years ago and although they seem okay I'm not sure if they are up to the task of a month in Europe mainly off grid in October/November.

I have an 80W Solar panel which has kept them charged, I very rarely use EHU abroad and only occasionally use EHU when parked at home, and they've served us well with only needing topping up a couple of times a year.

I'm loath to change brands and at around £109 they seem reasonably priced.

Does anyone know of a lower price for the same batteries ?

:france::france::france::france:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Jan 12, 2016
Amble
Funster No
MH
adria izola
Exp
since 2014

Just replacing my Banner battery after 4 years , so have no complaints.​

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I fitted a couple of Banner 'Energy Bull' 957 51 (019) batteries about 6 and a half years ago and although they seem okay I'm not sure if they are up to the task of a month in Europe mainly off grid in October/November.

I have an 80W Solar panel which has kept them charged, I very rarely use EHU abroad and only occasionally use EHU when parked at home, and they've served us well with only needing topping up a couple of times a year.

I'm loath to change brands and at around £109 they seem reasonably priced.

Does anyone know of a lower price for the same batteries ?

I have similar batteries and they are approximately 7 years old, I have looked into them and other batteries and it is well known that the banner agm”s are not a good buy... I think we have just been lucky although I have a very good solar system that has kept them going....

I know sooner or later they will fail and I will be replacing them with either the varta lfd90 or invest in some gels...

But if your batteries are still going well and not giving you any trouble then stick with then for your trip... what are the reasons your doubting them...?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Got just shy of 6 years out of our Banner Energy Bull. Was still going strong but couldn't get the top of one of the cells to top-up.
Replaced it with a Varta LFD90.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Your solar input looks a bit low for off-grid use. We have two 100Ah Banner (Energy Bull) lead acid batteries, but 120W solar.

The batteries have lasted 5 years so far. I think the secret to longevity is to not let them discharge too much (and keep them topped up).

Here is our set-up. We have never run out of juice yet, spending up to 5 days static (so I guess that is infinite if the sun shines) and using onboard shower/toilet/fridge/etc. (that's May to Sep UK, winter Spain/Portugal).

2 x 100Ah lead acid batteries
120W solar panel (flat-mounted)
Fridge: gas (controls obviously need 12V)
Hot water / heating: gas (fan and controls obviously need 12V)
Water pump + bog flush 12V.
Lights: all LED
TV, sound system, computers, phones, tablets, etc. all 12V
No inverter

OP
OP
keithchesterfield2
Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
But if your batteries are still going well and not giving you any trouble then stick with then for your trip... what are the reasons your doubting them...?

Mainly the age of them - and I don't want to risk them packing up while we are away.

They aren't holding their charge as well as they were last year and we are going for about a month on October/November.

We usually use Aires and France Passion sites and the occasional campsite.

Most Aires don't have hook up (or only an hour of paid supply) and many Campsites are shut that time of year.

We tend to meander and stop overnight wherever we finish up each day, perhaps stop a day or two if we like the area, and I'd prefer the batteries to be as reliable as possible and that's why I've decided to replace them.

If we'd been able to go this Summer when there was more sun and longer days then I'd quite happily have gone with the older Banner ones.

We don't bother with TV, the fridge/freezer runs on gas all the time and heating is with refillable gas so we don't need much electric power.

I know some who use Banner batteries have had problems but I haven't and am quite happy to replace like with like.

Deleted User
Have I missed something, only use Banner batteries, perfect

Deleted User
Banner batteries biggest load of cr*p & they don't honour their warranty.
Thanks for pointing that out, will arrange to have mine removed immediately, really cannot understand why my last van had 5 happy years with them

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
... and this is the problem asking for recommendations on the interweb.

Some one has a bad experience with an item, it's immediately branded crap, even though others have had no issues.

Who do you listen to?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
... and this is the problem asking for recommendations on the interweb.

Some one has a bad experience with an item, it's immediately branded crap, even though others have had no issues.

Who do you listen to?
People without problems generally keep quiet.
My main beef with Banner is they don't honour their warranty so if you get a faulty one you are stuffed. Both mine failed at 18 months they refused to replace they because they passed a starter battery test even though they were sold as a lesiure battery.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks for pointing that out, will arrange to have mine removed immediately, really cannot understand why my last van had 5 happy years with them
Pssssssssst! Keef Chesterfield might take them off your hands for a small consideration 'cause I think he's looking for one. Means you wont have to take them to the tip! :whistle2: :whistle2::giggle::giggle:

Deleted User
Pssssssssst! Keef Chesterfield might take them off your hands for a small consideration 'cause I think he's looking for one. Means you wont have to take them to the tip! :whistle2: :whistle2::giggle::giggle:
Thanks for the offer, just noticed it was only some body with a beefs personal opinion not a fact, i think I will keep my Banner set up after all, 5 happy years in my last van so sure the twin set up in my new van wii do just fine. Apologise to Keef Chesterfield for me would you.

Jun 18, 2013
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666F
Exp
Since 2015
The battery mentioned in the original post is a wet battery. It’s normally the AGMs which come in for a slating. Maybe those of us who have had reasonable life from them mostly have the wet type. Ours seem OK at over three years old and cope with 4 or 5 days without driving or hook up even with our measly 80W solar in the UK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back