Banner 956 01 battery questions (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I just removed the passenger seat to look at the battery for the first time since we got the van and find it is a Banner 956 01. Looking it up on-line I find it is 80Ah, which should be fine because we don't use much power and the solar panel has put back all we have used on the couple of off-EHU trips we've done so far.

I have a couple of questions though:
a) It looks to be fairly new but looks can be deceptive and the van is nearly 9 years old. How do I find out the age of the battery?
b) It appears to have removable caps for topping up but the one I tried (using a penny) didn't want to move and I didn't want to force it. Should the caps be removable for topping up and is there a particular tool I should use?

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Graham try a large flat blade screwdriver,if not get your penny and a pair of pliers :thumb:Make sure the battery plates are covered with distilled water :thumb: Test /read the battery charge with a multimeter.If it is giving a reading close to 12.7/8 volts do not worry about the age. No sense in changing the battery until it packs up so get a reading every 3/or 4 mths IT WILL GIVE PLENTY OF WARNING WHEN PACKING IN SO DO NOT CHANGE JUST FOR THE SAKE OF IT:thumb:
terry

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks Terry.

Battery voltage is reading fine on the built-in meter.

I'll have another go at removing the caps when I have time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The penny & pliers trick worked fine. Thanks once again, Terry.

Tiny amount of top-up required so that's all done for now. I even remembered to measure the battery bay in case we want to put a larger one in some time :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back