Banned from overtaking..................... (2 Viewers)

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
The speed limit is 60 mph the limiters are set at 56 mph to allow for a margin of error in the devices. UK speed limits are higher than abroad yet you don't have the hassle over there, because they have crawler lanes for slow vehicles on hills.

Parts of the A1 in county Durham have no overtaking between certain hours. They also seem to work.

The big problem is deliveries scheduled to arrive at a set time or a penalty is imposed and or you have to wait around for the next available slot. This is the issue if you don't get to the delivery on time your company suffers, and you get it in the ear. The schedulers do not allow any margin for problems.

I hate that run from Dover around London to the sanity further north.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Lots of rubbish on this thread.
Railways?...not an option. (Slow, expensive, unreliable, little consignment traceability)
This is not France or Germany.
Ban HGVs from the roads within certain times....does this mean ban all others outside those hours?
(just to be as daft as the suggestion)

Has anyone considered the hold ups motorhome drivers can cause by driving on motorways at 50 - 55 mph in the name of fuel consumption?
55...56 for trucks...same / same?
(Driving slowly like isn't the key to good fuel figures, driving properly is.)

Caravans and motorhomes can cause more slow moving traffic than HGVs in the season.
How about we ban them between 0700 and 2200 on weekdays, 24 hours on weekends and public holidays, to give the freight (the nation's lifeblood) freedom to deliver unhindered?

We can all talk bollix when we try.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Lots of rubbish on this thread.
Railways?...not an option. (Slow, expensive, unreliable, little consignment traceability)
This is not France or Germany.
Ban HGVs from the roads within certain times....does this mean ban all others outside those hours?
(just to be as daft as the suggestion)

Has anyone considered the hold ups motorhome drivers can cause by driving on motorways at 50 - 55 mph in the name of fuel consumption?
55...56 for trucks...same / same?
(Driving slowly like isn't the key to good fuel figures, driving properly is.)

Caravans and motorhomes can cause more slow moving traffic than HGVs in the season.
How about we ban them between 0700 and 2200 on weekdays, 24 hours on weekends and public holidays, to give the freight (the nation's lifeblood) freedom to deliver unhindered?

We can all talk bollix when we try.

Blimey, who rattled your cage :)

Think you're defo taking the wrong end of every stick if you don't mind me saying

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
In some of the main roads in France there is sections ( approx 10k) where trucks are banned from overtaking, this appears to work as it allows faster vehicles to get past

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Blimey, who rattled your cage :)

Think you're defo taking the wrong end of every stick if you don't mind me saying

Not rattled, mate.
Wrong end of the stick being the one you don't subscribe to, maybe?
Just responding to self interest bullshit, that's all.

You see, it doesn't go away.
Folk still prattling on about France.
This isn't France, it's the UK.
We could say that some roads in Asia have no obvious rules, devil take the hindmost.
Good idea?

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Yep, nae bother at a' 5 miles not even two rounds of golf, Get on with it, or get a turbo charger for your zimmer frame ? I am not exactly convinced about disabled controlled vehicles. The reason you have no public transport and the solution is in my post. Once upon a time family that had disabilities were looked after and cared for by their FAMILY. Family meant something.

Actually in the 'good old days' the majority of people with disabilities spent their lives in huge institutions hidden away from society, abandoned by their families and open to all sorts of pyschological, seuxal and financial abuses. Living and supporting someone with a disability at home can be an all consuming experience that can make or break a family, everyone is different, needs are different and peoples reactions and ability to cope are different! Just remember that anyone one of us can become disabled in an instant, mentally and physically...so make sure you can rely on your family if thats your plan!

Disabled controlled vehicles serve to empower and support an independent lifestyle and help people to be less reliant on their families, carer's the state and whoever else they need to help them. sorry if you have to slow down every now and again to let one pass.

Regarding traffic in the UK, theres way too much of it, many drive way too fast at dangerous speeds, to close, always in too much of a hurry, its ridiculous. We can learn from the continent while recognising different local conditions but to me theres no real reason for any of us to be driving too fast.

Sorry I went off topic but my cage got rattled...

enjoy the weather while it lasts :)

Steve

Jan 22, 2014
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
We often use the A12 & A14 and are constantly hampered by lorries overtaking causing tailbacks. Often these lorries are trying to pass another lorry traveling at the same speed.
Is it not time for overtaking by lorries to be banned!
Tony
Go another way

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
The problem is speed limiters, then?
Prior to these things being fitted at well below permitted speed limits, slow movers were never a problem.
Pull out, pass them, pull in.
Slowing an industry down has created the current situation whereby if a driver doesn't pass, no matter how long that takes, he must slow down.
It then takes extra fuel to get back to the pitiful limited speed.
Does the consumer want to pay extra for that extra fuel?
Limiters were imposed on the industry, they weren't a choice.

The cry about using the railways for freight doesn't and hasn't stood up for many years.
The railways are slow, expensive and inefficient.
Also, they don't go to the door, to the supermarket, the factory, etc.
Even more smaller goods vehicles would be needed to go from non existent rail hubs to the door, thus increasing the white van plague.
We also hear the cry "take the big scary trucks off the road, replace them with small ones."
Take a 42 tonner off the road.........replace it with 12 transits.
That would cure congestion, eh?
If you've got it, a truck brought it.

How about looking at the problems lorry drivers have for a change?
Speed limiters are as much a problem for them as everyone else.
THINK YOU WOULD NEED AT LEAST 20 TRANSITS. BUSBY

longdog

Banned
Apr 16, 2013
Funster No
the german system is the way or better still take all the foreign lorry's off the roads
or maybe the best way of all is to widen the bloody a12 main road to harwich yet its no better than a country lane with as many pot holes

IMHO, yes, the German system is better, but then German drivers tend to be better disciplined and less aggressive than UK drivers.

I used to think that the French were better drivers too, but having just got back from Ile de Re, I might be eating my words given that there are loads of Parisians in that particular region right now!

Surely it can't take a genius to work out that some aspects of European practices would actually help with traffic flow in this country? Simply continually widening roads is not the complete answer, (although the A12 to Harwich could benefit).

Europe generally has a better road network than ours, yet they operate restrictions for HGVs which appear to be effective.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
IMHO, yes, the German system is better, but then German drivers tend to be better disciplined and less aggressive than UK drivers.

I used to think that the French were better drivers too, but having just got back from Ile de Re, I might be eating my words given that there are loads of Parisians in that particular region right now!

Surely it can't take a genius to work out that some aspects of European practices would actually help with traffic flow in this country? Simply continually widening roads is not the complete answer, (although the A12 to Harwich could benefit).

Europe generally has a better road network than ours, yet they operate restrictions for HGVs which appear to be effective.

I always find driving in France /Spain that lorrys seem to be elsewhere.

Maybe they make and sell more locally other than we do -----
Pasties made in Manchester transported to Cornwall------- Fish and chip shops in Cornwall selling fish from London markets while lorrys drive past their shops from the harbor next door :LOL:

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We often use the A12 & A14 and are constantly hampered by lorries overtaking causing tailbacks. Often these lorries are trying to pass another lorry traveling at the same speed.
Tony
No!

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Sorry I went off topic but my cage got rattled...

If someone had a magic wand and cured all the troubles in the world there would still be someones cage that got rattled. Along with many who liked everything the way it was. I was suggesting a means to get some of the traffic off the roads, or time share it.

I don't think you can argue otherwise that there is a lot of unnecessary journeys made.

I was brought up in the country and for the last 40 years have made my living from agriculture and have been tempted hundreds of times over the years to buy "A house in the country" but as my wife doesn't drive and unlikely ever to, DISABLED then with the one brain cell I have, decided to increase the urban jungle. But that is just me and I do not have an opinion.

However the golfs on the tellie so all is well with the world (y)

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
have you noticed that mostly the 'snail racers' (great expression) and the pull outs with either no or far too little indication, are the 'unbranded' lorries
Yes it does seem that some of the big high street names use slower speed limits and the y seem to get goods to the shops ok.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Tony

I love the term , 'snail overtaking'

I use the A14, M11 and A1 a lot...... all of them dual carriageways

I have solved the snail overtaking issue, if only in my mind, but it makes the drive a little less tedious

What you do is imagine that the lorry drivers share a brain cell, then any of their stupid actions seem much less stupid, you almost get to forgive then for the overtakes that they attempt but don't complete/ take 2 miles

You understand the pulling out by just indicating but not thinking.

The parrell driving in both lanes for miles becomes understandable, and indeed the wide load with flashers and marker board that overtakes becomes a marvel to behold.

My favourite piece of art from these ' special drivers' was a sign that said...............' give way to this lorry when indicting' on the back of a trailer!

Silly old me, I look at the traffic and indicate and complete the manoeuvre when I see a space and its safe to do so, and of course ........ I nearly forgot!...........when I have the speed to do so

I know this won't upset the intelligent lorry drivers on this forum as the comment is only levelled at the 1/2 a cell brigade and not the professional drivers that drive with consideration and skill as would befit such a safety critical job

regds neil
cambridge

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I really, really love following a heated thread WHEN I don't have any any interest in either side of the discussion. (y)

Lorries overtaking or not overtaking do not affect me at all.

UK's problem seems to be there are too many vehicles all trying to use a road system that is not up to the task.

My solution to this problem (and others) was to move.

JJ :cool:

(Can't delete this sad smiley :()

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I really, really love following a heated thread WHEN I don't have any any interest in either side of the discussion. (y)

Lorries overtaking or not overtaking do not affect me at all.

UK's problem seems to be there are too many vehicles all trying to use a road system that is not up to the task.

My solution to this problem (and others) was to move.

JJ :cool:

(Can't delete this sad smiley :()

Should have got an iPad hehehe ;)

(Only joking JJ-from our previous thread :))

Reactions: JJ

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Jj is right there is to many people wanting to live and move about on our little island , and is only going to get worse

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back