Banned from overtaking..................... (1 Viewer)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
While not condoning bad driving some of the trucks driving in considerately might because that they are paid per kilometer driven or get a fixed amount for the run , if they take 5hrs or 8hrs they get the same wage. Money makes people behave differently , like if you think your losing money because your being held up by a slower truck.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
While not condoning bad driving some of the trucks driving in considerately might because that they are paid per kilometer driven or get a fixed amount for the run , if they take 5hrs or 8hrs they get the same wage. Money makes people behave differently , like if you think your losing money because your being held up by a slower truck.

That is illegal. It was outlawed many years ago & is part of the reason tacho was introduced.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You might think being paid by the mile etc is banned, but it still goes on and in some large company's .

Deleted User
That is illegal. It was outlawed many years ago & is part of the reason tacho was introduced.
Not quite, many drivers are now paid on salary no matter how many hours are worked, this gives the incentive to speed and finish the job in the shortest possible time.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You lot need to to go fulltiming :wink::rofl:. You will find you are rarely in a rush anywhere and sitting behind a lorry doing 56mph gets you much better mpg. I don't even try to overtake them now unless there is a clear road behind. I know I will only hold other rushers back so just sit patiently and chill out.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Not quite, many drivers are now paid on salary no matter how many hours are worked, this gives the incentive to speed and finish the job in the shortest possible time.
Being paid a salary, i.e paid the same regardless of time spent or work done is not the same as being paid per mile or by the load, that is piece work.

ArcticKris

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
North Norway
Funster No
MH
Kabe Travel Master i910 Q
Exp
Since 1990
They are, or should be if working correctly, the engine is cut & if the vehicle does not slow down, the brakes come on. comming down past Beatock last weel at 70+ mph I was overtaken by an artic tanker which must have been doing 80.

Sorry Jay but you are wrong,a speed limiter has absolutely nothing to do with the brakeing system,all it does is cut the fuel to the pump,resulting in no power output,i work in the industry and have been around speed limiters for a long while,the tanker who passed you was probably free wheeling,

Kris

ArcticKris

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
North Norway
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1990
Same principle for cars or Hgvs

Here's how it works: A series of sensors detect how fast you're going, then communicate that information to the engine's computer, which manages nearly all the engine's functions. Once you reach a pre-determined top speed, the computer steps in and restricts the flow of air and fuel to the engine and even the sparks that cause combustion. Either way, you'll be unable to exceed the top speed as determined by the car's manufacturer [source: K-Speed].
So what vehicles have speed limiters? In many countries, they're required on mopeds and some commercial vehicles. In the U.S., the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration began looking at mandatory speed limiters on heavy-duty trucks in 2011. As for passenger cars, every vehicle is different. Economy cars tend to be limited to about 110 miles per hour (177 kilometers per hour) or thereabouts, while performance cars -- particularly European ones -- tend to be much higher. It even depends on what engine you select. For instance, on the 2011 Ford Mustang, the V-6 model is restricted to 113 miles per hour (181.9 kilometers per hour), but the more powerful V-8 can go closer to 150 miles per hour (241.4 kilometers per hour) [source: Car and Driver].

Kris

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Speed limiter on my car does really limit the speed by using the brakes, so I would have thought that Mercedes trucks do the same at least. Or at least that is what the assumption was..... Clearly wrong by the looks of it

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
And the national speed limit for cars is still 70 mph on motorways. 150 mph is surely excessive for non-emergency cars on a public road (unless on a closed road rally of course)?

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
Lorries should be banned from any road from 0700 to 2200, and in 30 mph zones at any time. They could then introduce/allow Ozzy style road trains which should reduce numbers.

At the same time minimum travel for cars should be introduced, possibly ten miles. Absolute nonsense the way some people use their vehicles, if they could drive to the toilet they would. Perhaps it would minimise the school runs, let the little blighters walk like I had to. Our town is usable when the kids are on holiday. The buses might start running at a profit without Govt. subsidies.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
At the same time minimum travel for cars should be introduced, possibly ten miles.

What would the alternative be for people unable to walk / ride a bike? I don't think you would like to travel 5 miles around here without a car..... oh, and there is NO public transport.

ArcticKris

Free Member
Jul 5, 2014
North Norway
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1990
Arctic Kris.........

A real proper Arctic driver! ;)(y)

Sorry, could not resist it.

Haha ive done my bit Mr Dux Deluxe,tramping up and down the roads of Europe and further,i understand the frustrations of the motorist towards Hgvs,they can be a pain in the butt at times but in Skandinavia we really do need them,we are experimenting with double 40ft trailers now and it looks like it will take off,as for using the Railways,well the line stops at Narvik,there is talk about making it to Tromsø but it is still just an idea,i have my own views on the speed limiter but i dont have time to air them just now,another time,

Kris

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Cheers! I ran our business in Norway for several months but that was Oslo based. Know Stavanger and Bergen quite well..... Never stay at the airport hotel Stavanger - nice views of the runway but it used by the military quite a lot. Ear splitting

Deleted User
Being paid a salary, i.e paid the same regardless of time spent or work done is not the same as being paid per mile or by the load, that is piece work.
It may be different terminology but I can assure the effect is the same, used to be called 'job & finish' in my day.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
What would the alternative be for people unable to walk / ride a bike? I don't think you would like to travel 5 miles around here without a car..... oh, and there is NO public transport.
Yep, nae bother at a' 5 miles not even two rounds of golf, Get on with it, or get a turbo charger for your zimmer frame ? I am not exactly convinced about disabled controlled vehicles. The reason you have no public transport and the solution is in my post. Once upon a time family that had disabilities were looked after and cared for by their FAMILY. Family meant something. Your local village had a grocery store and post office, no that wasn't any good so now the altar is in Tesco or the like. Not all progress is progress. My grandchildren are going to learn that, there will be no fuel left for their children to burn up the tarmac with, we will have pissed it all up the wall. The population will have trebled by then and I fear for them, I think they will be eating each other again. We have had the best of it, think ourselves very fortunate !

Andy

Free Member
May 25, 2014
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Interesting conversation;
ok, I'm a professional driver, (in that I mean, I'm employed as a driver), and whilst its not driving HGV's,........it is still largish fridge box body.

Yes, I've seen poor judgement call's by HGV drivers,............but there again I've seen same made by horsebox/Car Caravan and Motorhome drivers.........

There is a very real risk, when talking about wanting certain types of road user's banned at certain times of the day, that said banning could well be rolled over to other types of road user because they may be seem to them be the ones holding up/congesting the roadways.

Road's in this country are over crowded in lots of area's, and certainly underfunded in the maintainence department, all of which does make for uncomfortable driving conditions at times.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
the german system is the way or better still take all the foreign lorry's off the roads
or maybe the best way of all is to widen the bloody a12 main road to harwich yet its no better than a country lane with as many pot holes

Hobbytwo

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby750
Exp
Since 2008
Back to jaygee's OP !

Driving without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other road users.

Contrary to Section 3 Road Traffic Act 1988.

Fits the situation perfectly, but don't ask me who's going to enforce this Law, as "real old Bill" are rarely seen patrolling major roads these day.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Let us reverse Dr Beeching's efforts and ensure each new Tesco, Sainbury, Asda and Morrisons has to come with its very own branch line!!!
That'll get those nasty slow trucks off the road!
There's something for the nimbys to debate the next time a superstore planning application is tabled!

Or we could all go self sufficient and shape our lives by watching Kirsty Alsopp and learn how to furnish our homes with crap from the skip down the road. That would also relieve the pressure on the A12 and A14. With fewer containers of shite arriving from China there would be fewer lorries to overtake.
Problem solved!:)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Yep, nae bother at a' 5 miles not even two rounds of golf, Get on with it, or get a turbo charger for your zimmer frame ? I am not exactly convinced about disabled controlled vehicles. The reason you have no public transport and the solution is in my post. Once upon a time family that had disabilities were looked after and cared for by their FAMILY. Family meant something. Your local village had a grocery store and post office, no that wasn't any good so now the altar is in Tesco or the like. Not all progress is progress. My grandchildren are going to learn that, there will be no fuel left for their children to burn up the tarmac with, we will have pissed it all up the wall. The population will have trebled by then and I fear for them, I think they will be eating each other again. We have had the best of it, think ourselves very fortunate !

I find this post very upsetting and offensive. Try to walk 5 miles in difficult terrain after major surgery that didn't go as planned and has left lifelong problems.
The reason why we have no public transport is because there are not enough people here. Ever heard of rural isolation? We don't live in a place big enough to be called a hamlet.Tesco? 26 miles. Asda? 26 miles.......

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
I didn't see that as a selfish quote Eric. I've never witnessed any lorry driver happy to sit at 40mph, they've goods to deliver, many of them on multi drop deliveries around various towns and city's and have an extremely busy schedule to achieve. I know, I've been there, seen it, done it and have many t-shirts etc :)

I do feel sorry for the lorry drivers, it's a thankless job, but one that's essential to our country and our economy and one that goes unloved.
If you looked around your home there's probably not one product that hasn't travelled at some stage of its life in a truck :)

As for removing speed limiters, they're fitted for many reasons, safety, pollution, economy to road haulage companies, tyre performance etc. To remove them would simply serve to move the problem of overtaking trucks at +1mph into a higher speed zone, nothing more other than increased wear and tear, increased fuel economy and hence pollution etc. Also increase the chances of those dreaded blowout we all witness and they still happen far too regular at the low speeds set, goodness knows how many more there would be if we increased the speed again :eek:

The thought of keeping the countries traffic moving over a 2 hour fixed period morning and then at night, is minimal. Trucks would actually achieve better productivity, as the motorists will have moved on too :)

Oh and I've read about the trucks, trains etc, how trucks are key and vital, well so are the store men who sell the products, the factory workers who build the products that trucks have to move, the depot workers who load the trucks, the managers who oversee the production process and even the dreaded reps in their cars. All required in the process of keeping our country moving and they should be given the opportunity of arriving at their place of work just as quickly and safely as the truckers who need to complete the thankless multi drop taskings :)

One things for sure, bankers, truckers, office workers and the like, we're all like minded and have one HUGE thing in common and that's our motorhomes. We love them in every way possible, would stop at a heartbeat by the side of any road, in any weather, to render assistance to each other as required and that's priceless :)

most of mine was on a truck till it fell off the back of it :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Let us reverse Dr Beeching's efforts and ensure each new Tesco, Sainbury, Asda and Morrisons has to come with its very own branch line!!!
That'll get those nasty slow trucks off the road!
There's something for the nimbys to debate the next time a superstore planning application is tabled!

Or we could all go self sufficient and shape our lives by watching Kirsty Alsopp and learn how to furnish our homes with crap from the skip down the road. That would also relieve the pressure on the A12 and A14. With fewer containers of shite arriving from China there would be fewer lorries to overtake.
Problem solved!:)

Great plan!! When to we start? ;)

P.S. our house only looks like it was furnished from a tip....... must try harder

@Puddleduck - agree with you there - it was insensitive to say the least. Many people have mobility issues for various reasons, some like yours can be really frustrating and distressing. Luckily in our family we only have a mobility issue about 11pm, when it is our time to get a round in..;)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
@Puddleduck - agree with you there - it was insensitive to say the least. Many people have mobility issues for various reasons, some like yours can be really frustrating and distressing. Luckily in our family we only have a mobility issue about 11pm, when it is our time to get a round in..;)

We just bought electric bikes hoping that I could get more exercise and make the most of what is left....... my Doctor (surgery 8 miles away) thinks I'm crazy but wishes me luck.

Frustrating yes, on a good day I do far too much and make myself ill....... distressing, I try not to allow that. Crying is best done in private, what can't be cured has to be endured and it makes it easier all round if I smile.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back