Banks will drop some currency fees (1 Viewer)

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
They will never pass it on

They will never pass the savings on.. just find another way to charge for it... hence we went with a Caxton FX card.. allows us to buy euros (they also have one for $) at whatever rate it is at (buying it and loading the card when it is the best rates) .. no charges then when you use it. Even in fuel stations you save the large transaction fee charged by the banks on debt and credit cards. Works for us.

I also punt about and often find you play one travel agent off against another.. did that when I sold a lot of Euros two weeks back managed to 1.18 for them.. starting offer was 1.23 so it pays to shop about.

Bob

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well that's sorted at least one thing that severely annoys me - we normally get our Euros from Tescos, which is in a large 'mall'. The cashpoint is on the outside of said edifice, thereby causing me/us to have to visit the hole in the wall first (and it's the nearest one 'with parking' to our house anyway) and then carry a wad of cash into the mall to Tesco Bank.

I don't actually mind all that much having cash on me - because nobody normally knows and let's face it - people 'mug' for pennies at times so if you meet one of them in broad daylight where there are security guards it's pretty bad luck anyway - but it's all a bit too obvious for me to be 100% happy with.

Anyone know when they are doing this?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
They're not really saving you anything as the charge they are dropping is for using cards to purchase foreign currency in the UK which I don't suppose many people do as the charges are well known and all you have to do is go to the ATM and buy your foreign currency with cash.
I must admit that I rarely buy foreign currency in the UK and if I do it's just small amounts for immediate use as I find it more convenient just to use an ATM in the country concerned, anything major I don't pay with cash anyway.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Yea we just carry enough to make do till we get where ever, then use ATMs.

Can you not get Euros from a Post Office without paying a fee? Thought I saw an advert saying something along those lines:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back