Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
One thing to watch - especially in restaurants, is that they offer to let you pay in £'s or €'s - you should always pay in €'s. Now I always hold on to the terminal until it starts spewing the paperwork to ensure that the correct method is used.

OOOooopppssss now changed to correctly say Euros :)

Last edited:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
One thing to watch - especially in restaurants, is that they offer to let you pay in £'s or €'s - you should always pay in £'s. Now I always hold on to the terminal until it starts spewing the paperwork to ensure that the correct method is used.
Depending on which card. With Clarity always pay in local currency (€) and Halifax do the exchange rate as opposed to foreign banks which are far less favourable.
Of course, it depends what rate they are offering in the restaurant but I very much doubt it'll be as good as any bank and particularly Halifax, Santander etc.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Surely it is pay in EUROS so that your provider does the exchange rate

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GSD

Free Member
Dec 31, 2016
North Scotland
Funster No
MH
Fifer Touring "M" 2017 E6
Exp
10 years +
Drawing cash on a Halifax Clarity card incurs interest from the point of drawing. Although the are prohibited from overpaying and thus going into credit you can pay in an amount close to the amount debited (which you can check online) and thus minimise interest charges. This takes care but the much better exchange rate makes this a great card if managed properly. On my last foreign trip I bought only a small amount of currency locally and drew the rest en route using my Halifax Card.

TrebleH

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto, Iveco
Having seen comments re the Caxton FX card beware, it works well for me but I find that it is not accepted at unmanned petrol stations, they usually only accept credit cards but for other transactions its great.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Having seen comments re the Caxton FX card beware, it works well for me but I find that it is not accepted at unmanned petrol stations, they usually only accept credit cards but for other transactions its great.

...... because it's a Cash Card with a set balance which their computers can't see, could be €1 so understandably they wouldn't want you to fill up with €100 of diesel.
I don't know but would expect that no cash card would work at fuel pumps. I seem to remember that Caxton specifically say so.

Dec 15, 2011
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria
Exp
Since 1996
We have a UK Santander bank account so while in Spain draw money out from any Santander machine without any charges.
I used my Santander debit card (not the Zero credit card) to pay approx 25 euros at a supermarket in Spain this month. My account was debited a further £1.25 for a "foreign transaction".

Dec 15, 2011
Southwest Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Adria
Exp
Since 1996
Halifax Clarity expressly forbids this in their term and conditions.
I've had a small credit on my Clarity card for more than a year now. I haven't however tried to withdraw deposited cash from a cash machine in the way that emmitdb describes. Maybe I'll give it a go to see what happens. :cautious:

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I used my Santander debit card (not the Zero credit card) to pay approx 25 euros at a supermarket in Spain this month. My account was debited a further £1.25 for a "foreign transaction".
Yes they charge £1.25 for any value of transaction, that's why I draw money out of the cash machine and pay in cash.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I've had a small credit on my Clarity card for more than a year now. I haven't however tried to withdraw deposited cash from a cash machine in the way that emmitdb describes. Maybe I'll give it a go to see what happens. :cautious:

I doubt they would bother invoking terms and condition for just a small credit.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We 'accidentally' got into buying the lodges but are happy we did as they are going to give us a great return - as they are purpose build permanent structures they won't depreciate like those built on chassis (like static caravans) ... this is what triggered it all:

Broken Link Removed

Info on progress here:

Broken Link Removed

a bit of info on here too:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/this-week-i-bought.45103/page-230#post-2075975

Our lodges are on here - nos 11 and 12:

http://www.westfieldcountrypark.co.uk/lodges

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back