LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just booked a "different" event -- the British Model Flying Association annual do at Barkston Heath RAF base, Grantham.

Never been before so no idea what it will be like but loads of top model aircraft in competitions, so the best of the best I guess, trade stands.

Best of all £18.50 per person for the weekend.

I know we've some model flyers in here, anyone else going ?

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Just booked a "different" event -- the British Model Flying Association annual do at Barkston Heath RAF base, Grantham.

Never been before so no idea what it will be like but loads of top model aircraft in competitions, so the best of the best I guess, trade stands.

Best of all £18.50 per person for the weekend.

I know we've some model flyers in here, anyone else going ?

:Cool: We wouldn't miss this for anything. Been going since 1979 (on and off). Trouble is, I already have TOO many aeroplanes and helicopters. But I just have to buy something. My son Simon and I used to compete in the Aerobatics back in the 90's. :winky:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
:Cool: We wouldn't miss this for anything. Been going since 1979 (on and off).

Sounds like a good weekend then.

40 years ago I was a keen model boat racer, still got one 10cc boat somewhere and a Ferrari all with home made electronics. Now I'm trying to fill the void left by giving up gliding but what a daft idea, I gave up gliding mainly because of the crap weather and I'm jumping back into the same hole.

We'll be in a Burstner 530 PG03WWX. We might get there Friday night, we're in the Lake District Friday morning on the bike, come home, swap and carry on, we're only 90 miles away.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Is this a weekend camping thingy. How do you book and do you have to be a member of the BMFA.

I've always been fascinated by model aircraft, there is quite often displays at one of our local schools at weekends.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Is this a weekend camping thingy. How do you book and do you have to be a member of the BMFA.

I've always been fascinated by model aircraft, there is quite often displays at one of our local schools at weekends.

:Cool: Hi Spacerunner. You can pay at the gate like we usually do. It IS a great camping weekend. It is usually Friday through to and including Monday. The last 2 years have been the best I can remember in recent years. Weather wise that is. You DO NOT have to be a member of BMFA. :winky: We usually park near the runway. Look for our Suntor and Kontiki parked together with maybe a BIG tent in between. :winky:

Last edited:
OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Go on the BMFA here:
Link Removed

You'll see camping and a phone number, I just phoned and paid £37 by CC. She said gates opne after 5:30 Friday evening. I'm not a BMFA member -- yet but I will be joining, if nothing else for their insurance.

Jun 21, 2008
Haxey, Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
I have been going for the past 20 years and have been flying models for 30 years currently flying JETS if the weather is good a brilliant weekend especialy the free flight in the evenings if you have cycles take them as it is a huge site look forward to seeing you there

John

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

And what a treat that was.

I've never been to any event so huge ( well just maybe the odd motorsport one ) the numbers were incredible.

The highlight - without doubt - a father and son doing aerobatics in a pair of Hawks in Red Arrows colours. Almost indestinguishable from the real thing apart from a touch quieter. Awesome. They collection of jet powered planes put all other models to shame.

Apart from a 13 YO lad flying a helicopter. Flying like only someone young and free from the complications of life could fly. He did the impossible and then some even more difficult moves.

I'll be back !

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Just got back grom the Nats. Great weekend (as usual). Only a little rain late Sunday into the evening. Bought load of stuff again and had a great time with a Grandaughter flying her micro helicopter and aeroplane. Can't wait for NEXT YEAR. Apart from we are going to have lot's of sun in SPAIN beforehand. :thumb:

:Sad: Sorry I didn't get to meet any of you. Too busy doing other things I'm afraid. Perhaps next year? :thumb:

OP
OP
hilldweller

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Grandaughter flying her micro helicopter and aeroplane. Can't wait for NEXT YEAR.

That was one thing that really impressed me, loads of kids building planes and enjoying them. How good compared to being glued to a Nintendo.

I see a return next year, by then I might know what to spend on :) It was without doubt Father Christmas's Grotto for kids of all ages.

No wonder we didn't meet, we'd have needed mobile phones and GPS coordinates.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back